Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Nice, Front Page News.

http://blog.games.yahoo.com/blog/706...aft-in-trouble

Now it's on. The AP picked it up.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

So they lost 5% of their players.
    The majority of other mmorpgs couldn't even keep 95% of their players after 7 years.

Don't make an elephant out of a fly.
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

i lol'd when i saw that picture

Deleted
    Lol'd...

It's quite impressive that only around 600.000 subs have cancelled in 6/7 years

Deleted
    Is world of warcraft in trouble?
    Short answer: No
    Long answer: Nooooo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    So they lost 5% of their players.
    The majority of other mmorpgs couldn't even keep 95% of their players after 7 years.

Don't make an elephant out of a fly.
    It's a dire situation. Both old and new players are finding themselves bored with the expansion, more so than in previous years.

If you are someone who pays even the slightest attention to the news articles that Yahoo tends to put on their front page, you should know that 98% of the time they are completely ridiculous and/or poorly, if at all, substantiated by fact.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhoodexe View Post
    Lol'd...

No, the influx of new players and returning players is now surpassed by the outgoing players cancelling in such a way that 600k subs were lost.

However, considering that they were only -barely- gaining subs (new and returning were only slightly above outgoing), it isn't that big of a surprise.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Lol'd...

That's the net loss in Q1, not the total number of quits.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    I want around Tornado dog's stunning trek tbh

10+ Year Old Account
    This is news now?

Also, we should care, why?

so it's finally going down? its called a trend. all things get old at some point. they still have plenty of cash, i assure you.

Lol'd...

You can't be serious.

I'm going to err on the side of trolling rather than utter lack of intelligence.

---------- Post added 2011-05-27 at 02:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zhalseran View Post
    If you are someone who pays even the slightest attention to the news articles that Yahoo tends to put on their front page, you should know that 98% of the time they are completely ridiculous and/or poorly, if at all, substantiated by fact.
    Hey, the article about Justin Bieber's tattoos was completely serious. COMPLETELY.

Her GF is hot.

---------- Post added 2011-05-27 at 02:22 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Amry View Post
    This is news now?

Also, we should care, why?
    Are you familiar with the length of time between when something happens and when second rate news services like the AP pick them up?

You should care because the casual bads who don't read sites like this DO read yahoo news. When they see Yahoo posting that WoW is dying they'll look for a new game. The spiral has begun!
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

From the Article:

And it bodes well for upcoming titles, including the EA's highly-anticipated Star Wars: The Old Republic.

More than 1.5 million people have signed up to participate in the beta for the upcoming game, which some industry observers see as the title that stands the best chance of giving WoW a real run for its money in subscribers.

Can't wait. It's the biggest budgeted game ever, costing like 300 million to make. Wow only has about 4 million subs in EU/US, and they need good competition. GW2 is going to suck more players from WoW too.

damnit, I was thinking about writing this article a week ago. I should have!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
    You should care because the casual bads who don't read sites like this DO read yahoo news. When they see Yahoo posting that WoW is dying they'll look for a new game. The spiral has begun!
    I "commend" you on your knowledge on the habits of "casual bads". I don't know which generalization to laugh at, the assumptions that most WoW players are "casual bads", the fact that they do read Y! News, or that they'll abandon ship like rats. Oh well...

That is not the point. In my realm, there are still tonnes of people I can sell Enchanting velli to. My PUG time as DPS is still within acceptable limits (7-10 minutes). Therefore, I should be concerned with subscriber numbers, why? My needs are still fulfilled, and I don't have stock in Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
    Are you familiar with the length of time between when something happens and when second rate news services like the AP pick them up?
    The AP is a second rate news service? O.o

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    No, the influx of new players and returning players is now surpassed by the outgoing players cancelling in such a way that 600k subs were lost.

However, considering that they were only -barely- gaining subs (new and returning were only slightly above outgoing), it isn't that big of a surprise.
    And the fact that the growth had to end at sometime. I think 12 million is a fucking exceptional target to hit, I would never have expected to hit that much. If they take it further now then it will just be even more impressive. I hope they kick it into overdrive instead of being lazy with all the premium shit that any smalltime developer with debt for income would be forced to push out in 1/100th of the time it takes Blizzard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

Lol'd...

Not sure if serious

Quote Originally Posted by Sackman View Post
    And the fact that the growth had to end at sometime. I think 12 million is a fu**ing exceptional target to hit, I would never have expected to hit that much. If they take it further now then it will just be even more impressive. I hope they kick it into overdrive instead of being lazy with all the premium sh*t that any smalltime developer with debt for income would be forced to push out in 1/100th of the time it takes Blizzard.
    So they sell Cataclysm is China an get more subs. Losing 2 million English speaking people from EU/US and gaining 4 million Chinese doesn't really do much for English server population.

(Currently there is about 4 million subs from EU/US and 8 million from China. Losing 600k subs is more like a 15% drop in subs for the EU/US. If they were bots Blizzard would proudly boast this on their website, which they didn't - so they weren't bots)
    Last edited by Karteli; 2011-05-27 at 02:36 AM.