Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

How many people play World of Warcraft?

The title pretty much says it all. I am started to play WoW again after the release of Cataclysm, and i was wondering about how many people play WoW on a rough estimate if anybody knows.

According to Blizzard, around 11.4M.

A rough estimate would be "a crapload".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Liara View Post
    According to Blizzard, around 11.4M.

A rough estimate would be "a crapload".
    Wrong. there are 11.4 million accounts. Not people.

Some have estimated that roughly 8-8.5 million individual people play this game. Many having multiple accounts.

What's really interessting though is how many people who ever played WoW. 30-50mill?

Obligatory: OVER 9,000!

OT: 11.4 million accounts, like Liara said, but I don't believe they've released the amount of actual individuals who play.

Deleted
    Probably like 7 million?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Obligatory: OVER 9,000!

OT: 11.4 million accounts, like Liara said, but I don't believe they've released the amount of actual individuals who play.
    That was in march.. or was it april? I bet it's much less now due to decline in quality, no content patches and summer.

17 people with lots of alts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by monacelli View Post
    17 people with lots of alts.
    Actually the number is 42.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashield28 View Post
    Wrong. there are 11.4 million accounts. Not people.

Some have estimated that roughly 8-8.5 million individual people play this game. Many having multiple accounts.
    And that's 11.4 million created accounts.. Doesn't mean they are active.

If I'm not mistaken tho, 11.4 million doesn't include all the players from China, since they have their own game designed by the governement or something like that. And I heard ALOT of people play WoW in China.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignorance View Post
    Actually it does. They stated 12 million active subscribers a while ago and recently said it has dropped by 600 000.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignorance View Post
    No. At the time the number was taken that was active accounts.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    World of Warcraft’s Subscriber Definition
    World of Warcraft subscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards. Subscribers in licensees’ territories are defined along the same rules.
    http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company...es.html?081121

One thing people need to realize is that WoW doesnt have the biggest population of any MMO, they are the highest SUB BASED MMO population on the market, but there's some asian MMO that has over 35million active members, forgot the name though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sw3d3n View Post
    One thing people need to realize is that WoW doesnt have the biggest population of any MMO, they are the highest SUB BASED MMO population on the market, but there's some asian MMO that has over 35million active members, forgot the name though.
    Most people are well aware of the various pay-to-win MMOs (the one you're thinking of is probably Maple Story) out there. They just don't get brought up because both sides of this argument tend to hate them equally.

Deleted
    People that play World Of Warcraft aren't people

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    In an interview for the 5th anniversary, Rob Pardo estimated that 2.5 to 3 times the current subs had passed through the game. At that time it would have made 25-30 million people. That was 1,5 years ago.
    To be honest, I don't think that number would have gone up maintaining the same ratio of lasting subs versus people just passing through. Because there's really only so many people in the world both willing and able to play subscription based MMOs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Yeah "some" is a great source. Let us all listen to "some".

So if there are as you say 11 million accounts and 8 million players, does that not mean 3 million people have multiple accounts. Um..why would 3 million people need multiple accounts. That is a lot of multitaskers and gold farmers..or whatever.

So my question would be..what source do "some" have?
    "Some" is a great source. "Some" represents a small to large sample size of unidentified individuals who may or may not be biased as to the result of an inquiry. Being ambiguous in nature, statistically have a 50% change of giving a truthful or false answer. 50% are pretty good odds. Presidencies are won with less than 50% vote.

In any case. there are 11.4 million accouns which include:
    - Duplicate or tripple accounts (remember that shammy who was multiboxing like 10 toons?)
    - hackers/farmers multiple accounts.
    - Robots.

---------- Post added 2011-06-08 at 12:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    To be honest, I don't think that number would have gone up maintaining the same ratio of lasting subs versus people just passing through. Because there's really only so many people in the world both willing and able to play subscription based MMOs.
    Addicts are born everyday at an ever increasing rate.
    Last edited by Dashield28; 2011-06-08 at 04:38 PM.