Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Boa View Post
    @Vladimeir- I tried to schedule the upper body work outs the days I go on the bike ride or the day after I work out my legs and back. I believe in the work out I posted the lifting work outs do not overlap. Also, I have not been big into cardio. That's the reason why I chose 1 mile. Do you think it would be better to start at lets say 2 miles, and work my way up to 3 miles and eventually 4?

@ Your edit- My coach schedules the bike ride for an hour or so at 5 p.m. So it really isn't possible to move the ride.
    I would say start at 2 miles. Run that, if you still feel good, don't stop. It's important to build up your distance, but it's not something that takes forever to do. If you play soccer and you are use to running, it wouldn't surprise me if you could just go out and do 8 or more. The only thing you need to watch out for are hills. Especially if you are only use to running 1 mile and building up your distance. (Avoid hills until you can do a solid distance workout)

If you are trying to "like" cardio, you just need to go out and run. Eventually something may, or may not, click and you'll be hooked on running. (For me, this happened the first time I ran over 6-7 miles and just didn't want to stop. I ended up running until my body didn't want to move lol)

If your goal is to start doing more cardio, start doing 2 miles minimum. Then for now, maybe like every 3rd running day do like 4 or 5. When your comfortable with running for 30minutes or more straight everyday, you could build yourself a workout. That workout would look along the lines of:

Monday: Mid Distance (4-8mi). Tuesday: Distance(8+). Wed: Easy run(2-8 of relaxing). Thursday: Tuesdays workout +2mi or more. Friday: Easy Run/Mid Distance depending on how you feel. Saturday Easy run. Sunday Rest.

Hardest workouts would be Thursday. You warm up for the week monday after the rest day. Run and get your distance legs Tuesday. Relax wednesday and keep the blood flowing. Kick your ass thursday. Warm-down for the week friday. Relax Saturday. Rest sunday. If you want to add hills, add them where you feel comfortable. I'd recommend mid week so Wed-Friday.

To keep things interesting when/if you get in to longer runs: Vary your pace. Learn your distance markers (like 7th lamp post = 1 mile or whatever) and challenge your self by picking up your pace every mile or run like 1 mile faster then pace then pace the next mile. Or "back-half" your run. Run the second half first than the first. Works well on the shorter runs (4miles or under.) You could say, run your first 2 miles at 14min pace then the 2nd 2miles at 12min pace. This helps with endurance at the end of the day. (For example: if your in a grueling soccer game. In overtime. This kind of workout, the back-halfing, will get you use to being tired. So you'll have more energy than most people on the field when you need it. Although, since you're a keeper, this kind of endurance isn't really needed haha. If you ever wanted to switch to a forward you'd be set!)

I personally like doing descending interval stuff and back-halfing my runs.
    Last edited by Vladimeir; 2011-06-07 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boa View Post
    @Radux- In out strength training, we will do a few sets of push-ups, but that's really the only upper body that we do. It mostly consists of sprints, squats, some plyos, and more leg work outs. A question about protein: Can I get enough protein from meals, or do I have to drink some sort of protein shake/supplement? I do believe that I eat quite a bit of protein, since I do eat meat quite frequently, but I only know the basics in nutrition.
    Yes. It's quite easy to get enough protein through your meals. You're not body building or trying to bulk up. You don't need gigantic amounts of protein via shakes and whatnot.

That said, Post-Workout shakes can/do help with the recovery process. You don't have to do them if you don't want to, but I usually recommend it to clients, as it tends to make them less sore for the next day and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    Yes. It's quite easy to get enough protein through your meals. You're not body building or trying to bulk up. You don't need gigantic amounts of protein via shakes and whatnot.

That said, Post-Workout shakes can/do help with the recovery process. You don't have to do them if you don't want to, but I usually recommend it to clients, as it tends to make them less sore for the next day and so on.
    This. A lot of people go "AHHHGRAAWWWWWRRRRRR PROTEIN!!!!" Your usual diet (if eating properly) provides more than enough protein for your body. To help with recovery, drink a glass or two of chocolate milk after a workout. If you do a serious lifting workout or just had your butt handed to you from a long run or bike ride, you might want a suplemental drink. I usually drink a serving of muscle milk to recover from hard workouts or super long runs (10mi+) or after the first workout in a while and I feel completely dead.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladimeir View Post
    This. A lot of people go "AHHHGRAAWWWWWRRRRRR PROTEIN!!!!" Your usual diet (if eating properly) provides more than enough protein for your body. To help with recovery, drink a glass or two of chocolate milk after a workout. If you do a serious lifting workout or just had your butt handed to you from a long run or bike ride, you might want a suplemental drink. I usually drink a serving of muscle milk to recover from hard workouts or super long runs (10mi+) or after the first workout in a while and I feel completely dead.
    Yes, protein is hyped. Though, it's very important when you take that protein, it's good to either eat just after or several hours (I'd suggest about two) before exercising intensively. This'll help recovery.

You need a min of 1 day of rest a week. And probably 6-8 hours of sleep every night as well. Capitilize on your rest days by eating well and taking an ice bath. (these are GODSEND, buncha sciencey mumbo jumbo says they're wicked good for you too).

Remember this: if you start to feel overly sore, or in pain; it only takes a body 72 hours to recover from even the most punishing of work outs. So even if you cant move the next day, 2 days later you can be back at it.
    (assumeing you dont actually hurt yourself)
    #1 Resto Tree Slap DPS

Quote Originally Posted by Tangster View Post
    Remember this: if you start to feel overly sore, or in pain; it only takes a body 72 hours to recover from even the most punishing of work outs. So even if you cant move the next day, 2 days later you can be back at it.
    (assumeing you dont actually hurt yourself)
    I will contest this point! I did an Ab workout. First actual focused workout in a long time. I couldn't use my core for a week. I fatigued my abs (which I never knew was possible) and literally couldn't lift my legs for a few days and took my over a week to be able to do any of the workouts i did the first day again. Workout consisted of some calesthenics, weighted sit-ups, things similar to mountainclimbers, crunches, leg lifts, ab workout with one of the ab wheel things, and dragonflys as well as some upper body stuff. I rock climb and so core is extremely important for body tension as is lifting my legs.

Deleted
    I'd say start slower with only 1-3 days max doing that programme with at least a day between each. You may be in good shape but doing that much will leave your body constantly struggling to catch up and not allowed to rest and adapt to your new regime. At the most i would say do 5 days a week for the last 2-5 weeks prior to the season starting, in the last 2 weeks i'd slow it down to 3-4 days a week and let your body just adjust entirely so when you start the new season you'll be in top shape where if you go 5-6 days every week right upto the season your body won't have time to change much.

You'll need to keep a very balanced diet throughout with an increased protein intake (more animal fats) as your body will need alot of that for new muscle mass/exercise. Ensure you drink alot of water when your training and after to keep yourself hydrated. Aim for at least 8 hours sleep per night after each training session to make sure your body is fully rested.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a goal keeper, long distance running isn't so important but rather you need to be big and fast off your line, jumping, good hands (that comes with practice). So I would work on both parts of your body equally (upper and lower) and get big because you want to scare those little tiny forwards (some are scared lol) and as said above work on your sprinting, especially when you need to start because getting fast off your line like a 100m sprinter is important in 1v1 situations.
    Hey everyone

It's possible to train like this but I think it's better to take rest days and push harder on the other days. You have to push your body to the limit to make it stronger.

For example: If you run 1 mile everyday it won't help you when you have to run 5 miles. So it's probably better to run 5-10 miles on monday wednesday and friday instead of 1 mile everyday.
    You also have to build up to your goal. If your goal is running 1 mile then it's fine to run 1 mile per workout. If you want to get a better condition you have to run faster or longer, I believe.
    A keeper doesn't need to run a lot. If you play on another position next year you probably need to train on acceleration/short sprints I guess.

And for strenght training, it's better to only train around 1 hour 3 times a week and take at least 1 day of rest between workouts. But it all depends on what your goal is.

It's my first time to come here.
    Haha,Nice to meet everybody.
    I learn from my friends that
    this forum is very interesting.