Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    It's about finding a happy medium, some companies think amazing graphics will overpower the fact the gameplay is lacklustre. Look at E3, the games being released all have next gen graphics, for the most part. It's 2011 and everything being developed will have the amazing graphics, but whether they have the gameplay to match it determines whether we are still talking about said game in 12 months time.
    It's true graphics don't make a good game, cough *mario karts* cough. But the way we are heading won't be long before we are in total immersion like they are testing at E3 now with the (helmetsets). Battlefield 3 looks closest to merging gfx + gameplay to an unstoppable level.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryukaa View Post
    and this is where the Indie developers will find their way into the Gaming industry
    Which is good, I don't know if I'm Correct But I think the orignal Portal was An Indie Tittle, or the team behind it start the game that way...something along them lines...

It's the same With Cinema, I havent seen a really good film In years, Due to all the Idea been Bleed to death, so Just just make shite films in 3D..
    Last edited by mmoc411c38c086; 2011-06-09 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sant View Post
    Which is good, I don't know if I'm Correct But I think the orignal Portal was An Indie Tittle, or the team behind it start the game that way...something along them lines...

Its the same With Cinema, I havent seen a good film In year, Due to all the Idea been Bleed to death, so Just just make shite films in 3D..
    The original idea for portal was by a indie team yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Seriously, why does it matter if the game is fun? Do you all need pretty things to look at that badly? The graphics aren't up to par, but they know how to stylize them to make them look good. (IE Mario Galaxy, Kirby's Epic Yarn)

Some of the best games ever made are on older consoles, when you go back to play them they are just as enjoyable, why can't we put petty stuff behind? Graphics don't make a game good, sure, they can enhance the experience, but they do not change gameplay, at all.
    whoa buddy you're not understanding me at all. It's just one sentence and you're taking way too much out of it. No where in that one sentence did I say I didn't love Mario Galaxy, because I do.

I was just agreeing with that guy, why can't we have a game with amazing gameplay and amazing graphics in one? See?

It's not a bad thing to want good graphics too you know.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Obese View Post
    From personal experience I've noticed 99% of the time a game with amazing graphics, almost always ends up having really lame/boring gameplay, or just really bad gameplay, something that makes a purchase of the game feel like the biggest waste. But games that haven't focused on graphics, but focused moreso on actual gameplay which I've been addicted to and get entertainment out of them for insane amounts of time. There are honestly some games I could have paid $2000 for each and it still would have been worth it, they had disgusting graphics, but the gameplay just kept me going for ages.

WoW maybe terrible compared to what it USE to be, but who cares? It's still an amazing game IMO, WoW is still a game worth playing over the majority of other games out there atm. Unless you're big into SC2/HoN/LoL or FPS games (like CS or Battlefield, TF2...etc) you don't have much else to choose from that will actually last you longer than a night or 2 of gameplay.
    Not a big fan of Bethesda, I see. No worries, neither am I.

10+ Year Old Account
    I get the general vibe in this thread. Graphics < gameplay. But then why do people complain when nintendo puts out a system, such as the wii, and bitch and moan about how it's not in hd.

I feel like a lot of people "say" they care more about gameplay, but I would bet money a lot of those people judge a game on appearances first. And if it doesn't stack up, appearance-wise, they'll never try it out.

I agree with OP though. I want a good game, which doesn't have to pus the boundaries and look like real life. If I want it to look real, I'll open my door and explore the world

The Wii graphics point would be valid if like 95% of Wii games weren't complete and utter shit - the graphics are just one obvious thing to point out, at least on the other systems they look pretty if nothing else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Highangel View Post
    Why can't we have both...

When Wow first launched it was'nt super awesome graphics but still ok for the time, and the cartoonish look make's you not notice it so much....

in 2011 though it's getting outdated pretty fast, still agree that gameplay > looks though, but sometimes the awesome visuals can add to the overall experience.
    MMOs have to be about a solid generation behind in graphics to accomodate having random ammounts of players on screen, usually large numbers. I was actually thinking about this the other night playing Witcher 2. The graphics in that game are so on the edge of what my computer can run with decently high settings. To make an MMO look like that is years and years out.

Hate to break it to you, but you have it backwards.

WoW is the game with the better graphics (their comfortable and smoothly animated) and the wretched gameplay. It's the other games that try too hard to be "beautiful" that instead nauseate you even if you don't consciously realize it, and many of them have terrific gameplay... but it's lost in the discomfort and eye strain from the "beautiful" graphics and clumsy animations. Doubly so when the game insists on finishing an animation and the game as a whole fights you for control over your character.

Until other game companies figure all of this out, it's going to continue on like it is. MMOs are played by people who spend way too much time in front of their monitors. If you make it uncomfortable, painful, and nauseating, they're not going to want to spend it in your insipid little game regardless of how good it otherwise is.

Oh, and anime is fucking annoying. Quit trying to emulate it. What a horrible collective style of art. (And yes, I know it encompasses a wide array. But guess what, it all sucks nearly as badly as Japanese culture does, you deluded twats. Deal with it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Andry View Post
    whoa buddy you're not understanding me at all. It's just one sentence and you're taking way too much out of it. No where in that one sentence did I say I didn't love Mario Galaxy, because I do.

I was just agreeing with that guy, why can't we have a game with amazing gameplay and amazing graphics in one? See?

It's not a bad thing to want good graphics too you know.
    No, but it doesn't make a game bad. All I'm saying. >.>

If I wanted to see a realistic tree, I'd walk outside, stare at a tree. When games start looking like real life, its kinda jarring, takes a lot of the escapism from gaming, IMO. :<

Quote Originally Posted by zeta333 View Post
    I only enjoyed the first one, the games after that did not catch me at all.
    Second one was harder and frustrating at times. I don't own a Wii so didn't play the third one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Andry View Post
    eh? Metroid Prime 3 didn't have amazing graphics, and also in my own opinion the gameplay actually got dumbed down and less fun. The story was cool, don't get me wrong, but I don't think Metroid Prime is gonna work.

If you're talking about the first two though, then yeah, they really did have good graphics and good gameplay back then. I was thinking more about the Wii than the Gamecube and what not.
    From what I've seen, Prime 3 looks slightly better than the others, and the gameplay is dumbed down a bit because of the interface. I don't own a Wii and have no intention of ever supporting such annoying interfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by jibbyjackjoe View Post
    I get the general vibe in this thread. Graphics < gameplay. But then why do people complain when nintendo puts out a system, such as the wii, and bitch and moan about how it's not in hd.

I feel like a lot of people "say" they care more about gameplay, but I would bet money a lot of those people judge a game on appearances first. And if it doesn't stack up, appearance-wise, they'll never try it out.

I agree with OP though. I want a good game, which doesn't have to pus the boundaries and look like real life. If I want it to look real, I'll open my door and explore the world
    The general issue is that HD video isn't hard to output to and it was a major oversight of nintendo. Their next system will correct it I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques X View Post

WoW is the game with the better graphics (their comfortable and smoothly animated) and the wretched gameplay. It's the other games that try too hard to be "beautiful" that instead nauseate you even if you don't consciously realize it, and many of them have terrific gameplay... but it's lost in the discomfort and eye strain from the "beautiful" graphics and clumsy animations. Doubly so when the game insists on finishing an animation and the game as a whole fights you for control over your character.

Until other game companies figure all of this out, it's going to continue on like it is. MMOs are played by people who spend way too much time in front of their monitors. If you make it uncomfortable, painful, and nauseating, they're not going to want to spend it in your insipid little game regardless of how good it otherwise is.

Oh, and anime is fucking annoying. Quit trying to emulate it. What a horrible collective style of art. (And yes, I know it encompasses a wide array. But guess what, it all sucks nearly as badly as Japanese culture does, you deluded twats. Deal with it.)
    Opinions are like buttholes... and you contradict yourself a few times in your post.

No, but it doesn't make a game bad. All I'm saying. >.>

If I wanted to see a realistic tree, I'd walk outside, stare at a tree. When games start looking like real life, its kinda jarring, takes a lot of the escapism from gaming, IMO. :<
    I actually wrote a very VERy long post on a forum about this very subject, sadly it's long gone The issue is as we get closer to realistic graphics, you can set off the uncanny valley response and it really is unnerving and breaks immersion. It's a very complex issue and brings up moral responses as well. If games get to the point that they're literally photo realistic to the point of not causing an uncanny valley response, the impact on someone's psyche if violent and disturbing things happens could be dangerous. We're not at that point yet, but it's getting closer. There may be a time when it's not easy to seperate game from reality, and that's kind of frightening...
    Last edited by Poodles; 2011-06-10 at 04:28 AM.

Deleted
    diablo 2 anyone? ^^

Wow someones got a stick up their ass. Nice diss on the Japanese culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post
    MMOs have to be about a solid generation behind in graphics to accomodate having random ammounts of players on screen, usually large numbers. I was actually thinking about this the other night playing Witcher 2. The graphics in that game are so on the edge of what my computer can run with decently high settings. To make an MMO look like that is years and years out.
    While you won't see MMOs with graphics like crysis 2 by chance, you sure as hell will see ones with aion/rift/swtor graphics, which utterly blow WoW graphics outta the water. The biggest issue with MMOs when it comes to graphics isn't the fact that it's hard to present all those people, the biggest limiting factor is that by the time that MMO is ready to be released 2-3 years down the road, the graphics are already significantly out of date. Go look at the best game of 2009 and their graphics, and compare them to the games out next year. For an idea,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyIp_kF4r0g - february 2009
    to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVxTVPlO_UU - march 2011
    Last edited by xile; 2011-06-10 at 04:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Crysis 2, was, in my opinion, one of the best (single player)shooters I've played in the last 3 years.
    Aside from them MURDERING ANY SORT RELEVANCE THE FIRST GAME HAD.

Man, I raged hard at the way they just threw out the original story. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodles View Post

I actually wrote a very VERy long post on a forum about this very subject, sadly it's long gone The issue is as we get closer to realistic graphics, you can set off the uncanny valley response and it really is unnerving and breaks immersion. It's a very complex issue and brings up moral responses as well. If games get to the point that they're literally photo realistic to the point of not causing an uncanny valley response, the impact on someone's psyche if violent and disturbing things happens could be dangerous. We're not at that point yet, but it's getting closer. There may be a time when it's not easy to seperate game from reality, and that's kind of frightening...
    I actually hope we never do get to that point, there needs to be a clear cut difference between this world and the world you game in (this sounds insane), this is why I enjoy games that are heavily stylized, and not just a real life copy pasta, look, if I wanted to be in a real life war like setting, I'd join the army.

And besides, it shouldn't really matter about how real the game looks, it should be focused on the artistry and different usage of said graphics, not everything has to be picture quality.

I actually hope we never do get to that point, there needs to be a clear cut difference between this world and the world you game in (this sounds insane), this is why I enjoy games that are heavily stylized, and not just a real life copy pasta, look, if I wanted to be in a real life war like setting, I'd join the army.

And besides, it shouldn't really matter about how real the game looks, it should be focused on the artistry and different usage of said graphics, not everything has to be picture quality.
    We aren't that close, short of BF3, Crysis 2, and the SWTOR and FFXIII-2 Cinematics i haven't seen anything obscenely realistic quite yet. By the time we get to FFXVII i'm sure that gameplay will actually look like those cinematics they currently have.

Quote Originally Posted by WireRabbit View Post
    Wow someones got a stick up their ass. Nice diss on the Japanese culture.
    It's very well deserved. It's one of the most wretched cultures the planet has ever produced.

I find the incredibly ignorant, dense-headed tween girls who fawn over it particularly hilarious/saddening.

It's very well deserved. It's one of the most wretched cultures the planet has ever produced.

I find the incredibly ignorant, dense-headed tween girls who fawn over it particularly hilarious/saddening.
    I find people who hate other cultures hilarious/saddening

Quote Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacques X

Opinions are like buttholes...
    Much like yours.

and you contradict yourself a few times in your post.
    Only if you're a complete idiot.