Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

[Movies] X-Men: First Class almost as bad as Wolverine: Origins?

I found Wolverine: Origins painful to watch. Not only was it a poor movie to begin with, they completely butchered my two favourite Marvel characters (Gambit and Deadpool) in their live-action debut.

First Class was a slightly better movie, but it was obvious they had no regard for the actual characters. It's a movie for people who really aren't fans, and I think that's a bit of a shame.

So if you've seen the movie, and have noticed the many parts of it where it's completely against canon, post them here, and say why you didn't like it, or why you didn't mind it. I'm not going to post any in the first post, and many may include spoilers.

Edit: Since many can only think in black and white, let me emphasize something. No one expects a movie to follow the comics completely, but I would expect at least an effort to stay true to the characters. There's a middle-ground between being 100% true to the comics and disregarding everything that doesn't suit the movie execs desires.
    Last edited by Chyrch; 2011-06-12 at 08:59 PM.
    Sell the Vatican, Feed the World

I honestly think it was the best xmen movie they have made yet. (admittedly I had to look up a couple of the more obscure characters like darwin after). As for your whole true to the canon part? That is the whole thing with super hero comics, and shows. They create their own universe that doesn't have to be exactly the same as the others. The comics do this, the shows did this, and I see no reason the movies shouldn't either. I went in with low expectations, and left very satisfied.

I did notice a few things out of "movie canon", but apparently this wasn't supposed to be a prequel, it was supposed to be more of a reboot. All in all it was a very entertaining movie.

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    I did notice a few things out of "movie canon", but apparently this wasn't supposed to be a prequel, it was supposed to be more of a reboot. All in all it was a very entertaining movie.
    Yes this is supposed to be a whole new trilogy, more comparable to batman begins than the other xmen movies. ( The director said this himself)

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't seen any X-Men movies yet, and from all of the trailers I watched about the characters, I REALLY wanted to see it.

Is it not worth it for me to watch?
    or
    Are you just saying it wasn't the best one?

Deleted
    Considering - like people said - this was supposed to be a reboot i found this very successful, I also had to look up some characters that were not so well known to me, but in all fairness it's good to see different ones that the same old crew over and over.

I found the casting also very well done, and for old and (hopefully) new fans alike this will be a very nice start of a good series of movies (would be nice)

10+ Year Old Account
    As a reboot, it was awesome.

As for following X-men canon:

The first X-Men team consisted of Beast, Angel, Cyclops and Bobby(Iceman). In the first comic, they also introduce Marvel Girl(Jean Grey). Professor X did NOT have the function of legs when he intially founded the X-men, it was NOT Magneto who took it away from him, and Banshee was one of the first villains they fought. Other than that (hehe) they got most of it right, even the Hellfire Club, even though they messed up the ages a bit.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

There was one thing that did bother me about the movie though. Why was Azazel following Shaw. (I'm hoping they go into his story more in the next movie as there is a ton of depth to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Conquestaxe View Post
    I honestly think it was the best xmen movie they have made yet. (admittedly I had to look up a couple of the more obscure characters like darwin after). As for your whole true to the canon part? That is the whole thing with super hero comics, and shows. They create their own universe that doesn't have to be exactly the same as the others. The comics do this, the shows did this, and I see no reason the movies shouldn't either. I went in with low expectations, and left very satisfied.
    I get that movies are never going to be able to follow comics 100%. I expect them to have an interesting story, and thus they have to take liberties with canon. But I do expect them to stay somewhat true to the characters they're using

Moira and Banshee were both stripped of their accents.
    I'm not even sure how Havok is supposed to be related to Cyclops in this movie.
    Mystique and Xavier growing up like brother and sister?
    The way Xavier became paralyzed.

It just seemed like there were too many things popping up that I was scratching my head over. Iron Man and Thor both stayed fairly close to the characters in the comics. I don't think it's a lot to expect for the X-Men to do the same.

Why people like Bryan Singer is beyond me. Yeah, the first two X-Men movies were pretty good for the time, but they were made when superhero movies were just gaining in popularity. They're boring to watch now. And let's not forget, that despite him calling himself a big Superman fan, he then proceeded to butcher Superman all to hell. Seriously? A kid? I'll never forgive him for that.

---------- Post added 2011-06-12 at 08:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperawr View Post
    I haven't seen any X-Men movies yet, and from all of the trailers I watched about the characters, I REALLY wanted to see it.

Is it not worth it for me to watch?
    or
    Are you just saying it wasn't the best one?
    Since you haven't seen the other movies, I take it you're not much of an X-Men fan. If that's the case, you might like it. Just don't think it's anything like the comics.

---------- Post added 2011-06-12 at 08:14 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by muran View Post
    Considering - like people said - this was supposed to be a reboot i found this very successful, I also had to look up some characters that were not so well known to me, but in all fairness it's good to see different ones that the same old crew over and over.

I found the casting also very well done, and for old and (hopefully) new fans alike this will be a very nice start of a good series of movies (would be nice)
    Was it supposed to be a reboot? Looked to me like they were making a true prequel, but then decided to call it a reboot when they figured out they were messing around with things too much. If you make a reboot, you don't use footage from the original, or include two cast members from the original.

Deleted
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1270798/ 8.2, what were you saying? I'm sorry I didn't hear.

I saw X-men: First Class yesterday, amazing movie.

both xmen origins and first class were awesome movies. nuff said.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chyrch View Post
    I'm not even sure how Havok is supposed to be related to Cyclops in this movie.
    Alex and Scott Summers have always been brothers, even in canon =)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Havok_(comics)

Although Cyclops/Scott WAS the first of the two to join. Heck, he was the first field-leader!
    Last edited by Calzaeth; 2011-06-12 at 08:24 AM.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Quote Originally Posted by Skals View Post
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1270798/ 8.2, what were you saying? I'm sorry I didn't hear.

I saw X-men: First Class yesterday, amazing movie.
    And 65/100 on Metacritic

---------- Post added 2011-06-12 at 08:27 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    Alex and Scott Summers have always been brothers, even in canon =)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Havok_(comics)

Although Cyclops/Scott WAS the first of the two to join. Heck, he was the first field-leader!

Yeah I know. Alex is the YOUNGER brother of Scott. Yet, he's in his 20's in the 1960s.

With things like this, its better to ignore the source material. These movies are based on the directors vision for the characters, rarely the creators.

Also, Stan Lee wasnt actually in First Class

and 87 percent on rotten tomatoes from the critics 88 from the audience. The numbers don't matter though people should form their own opinions. I think this movie should be viewed as a completely solo work of its own that just happens to involve the xmen universe. (I mean hell in one comic professor x is dead and magneto rules, these differences are nothing compared to that)

10+ Year Old Account
    They always have to cut corners somehow, LotR, HP and HGttG showed us that. Nonetheless these movies were awesome, however you have to be able to look at these films with an open mind. If you are unable to, then don't watch movies like these.

I have to say that I greatly enjoyed both X-Men Origins and X-Men First Class.

Quote Originally Posted by pickley View Post
    Also, Stan Lee wasnt actually in First Class
    What? That's it, refuse to see it.

I thought the movie was pretty good. I was a little confused on how this movie contradicted the earlier X-men movies (the range of Magneto's power is far longer, Magneto doesn't help Xavier build Cerebro, etc), but for the most part wasn't bothered by that. I was more annoyed by the near pointlessness of the enemy crystal/psychic lady (forgive me, I don't even remember her name). She just sort of seemed to exist for the purpose of blocking Xavier's ability to track Shaw, and otherwise had nothing to her whatsoever. I did however like Magneto's development, as he comes so close to turning a corner but in the end gives into his hate; watching that struggle take place and then finally resolve itself was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Detheavn View Post
    They always have to cut corners somehow, LotR, HP and HGttG showed us that. Nonetheless these movies were awesome, however you have to be able to look at these films with an open mind. If you are unable to, then don't watch movies like these.

I have to say that I greatly enjoyed both X-Men Origins and X-Men First Class.
    Yes, that must be it. I just don't have an open mind. Is that becoming the "go-to" for arguments lacking in thought now?

If the WoW movie is ever made, how do you think people would react if they portrayed Bolvar as a dwarf, Thrall plays second fiddle to Garrosh (who's suddenly much more reasonable), and Varian is now an angsty 25 year old with spiky hair.

---------- Post added 2011-06-12 at 08:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    I thought the movie was pretty good. I was a little confused on how this movie contradicted the earlier X-men movies (the range of Magneto's power is far longer, Magneto doesn't help Xavier build Cerebro, etc), but for the most part wasn't bothered by that. I was more annoyed by the near pointlessness of the enemy crystal/psychic lady (forgive me, I don't even remember her name). She just sort of seemed to exist for the purpose of blocking Xavier's ability to track Shaw, and otherwise had nothing to her whatsoever. I did however like Magneto's development, as he comes so close to turning a corner but in the end gives into his hate; watching that struggle take place and then finally resolve itself was pretty good.
    See, you're the target audience for this movie (I thought there would be more X-Men fans on this forum). Emma Frost is a MUCH more important character in the X-Men universe. She's even currently in a serious relationship with Scott Summers.

You know what I want to see? An X-Men movie. I don't think that's a lot to expect. But all I've seen so far is a movie with X-Men labels and names on it.

Deleted
    Worth watching for the wolverine cameo. The rest was underwhelming imho...