10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Going to counter you, dear Fuzzy. So long as the vacuum doesn't touch any parts and they keep it at least a couple inches away from parts, it will pick up the dust, but everything will remain intact. It's all about the skeelz and talent!!! Just like in WoW! I got a 2600 1s Vacuum score! ;P

Compressed air, to me at least, just throws all the dust and shit up in the air and that really bugs me, I'm not allergic or anything, I just hate having dust go all over, rather vacuum it up... >_>
    Vacuums also build up static electricity. And accidents happen. With compressed air, it's hard to mess up. Just take the computer out to an open area. Vacuums will also cause your fans to spin, which isn't healthy. This could also be an issue for compressed air, but it would have to be highly intentional.

Also, is your MSI GTX 560 properly mounted? It looks dangerously slanted...

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    Vacuums also build up static electricity. And accidents happen. With compressed air, it's hard to mess up. Just take the computer out to an open area. Vacuums will also cause your fans to spin, which isn't healthy. This could also be an issue for compressed air, but it would have to be highly intentional.

Also, is your MSI GTX 560 properly mounted? It looks dangerously slanted...
    Probably just how the picture looks, it's flat all the way across for me. And it's definitely in there for good, not coming out without either some serious yanking or unscrewing it like it should be. ;p

I guess you're right about the vacuum, but hey, at least I'm careful, and I don't do it a lot. Now that I remember this fact though, I'll either be more careful or maybe get compressed air. /groan

(Taking my computer out to an open area - lol don't forget the thing is probably like 60 LBs and WoW has given me some weight myself) ;p
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably just how the picture looks, it's flat all the way across for me. And it's definitely in there for good, not coming out without either some serious yanking or unscrewing it like it should be. ;p

I guess you're right about the vacuum, but hey, at least I'm careful, and I don't do it a lot. Now that I remember this fact though, I'll either be more careful or maybe get compressed air. /groan

(Taking my computer out to an open area - lol don't forget the thing is probably like 60 LBs and WoW has given me some weight myself) ;p
    My old Fractal Design Define XL is one of the heaviest cases currently on the market. .-.

Even if I drain mine, it's a PITA to move. Not something I take outside. I use canned air where I need to, but try to use a towel or cloth to wipe stuff off.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Deleted
    I'd advise to use canned air as well when cleaning out dust with a vacuum nearby to take up most of the particles. Vacuuming works, but the risks are greater as Fuzzy pointed out. And filters, really, do yourself a favor and buy some fan filters. You can thank me later.

I picked up a new screen so thought I'd post some new pictures because.. why not? It's an LG Flatron IPS236 (the left one). Pretty pleased so far, more-so since i got it about 25% cheaper. Btw, like my coaster?

And another from inside the case. Soon time for a first clean I guess.

Still considering this as a budget build with a pricetag of ~8700 SEK, excluding accessories and monitor (I guess that translates to somewhere around 900 dollars).
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-06-16 at 11:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    I'd advise to use canned air as well when cleaning out dust. Vacuuming works, but the risks are greater as Fuzzy pointed out. And filters, really, do yourself a favor and buy some fan filters. You can thank me later.

I picked up a new screen so thought I'd post some new pictures because.. why not? It's an LG Flatron IPS236 (the left one). Pretty pleased so far, more-so since i got it about 25% cheaper.

And another from inside the case. Soon time for a first clean I guess.
    Nice rig! Hey, was wanting to ask you, did you go into the BIOS and OC your GPU or did you use the MSI Afterburner software? It would appear we have the exact same video card otherwise though. ;p
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice rig! Hey, was wanting to ask you, did you go into the BIOS and OC your GPU or did you use the MSI Afterburner software? It would appear we have the exact same video card otherwise though. ;p

You can OC a GPU in BIOS?

10+ Year Old Account
    ldskhglwgiwegweown

Don't you realize by now? I'm still very new to a lot of this stuff, but have been catching up on a lot of it fairly quick thanks to you nice folks. ;p
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    ldskhglwgiwegweown

Don't you realize by now? I'm still very new to a lot of this stuff, but have been catching up on a lot of it fairly quick thanks to you nice folks. ;p
    I'm pretty new to computers myself. *Looks at join date*

Deleted
    You can fiddle with the PCI-E speed I guess.. it's 100MHz per default I believe but not advisable to fiddle with at all as it could seriously damage your GPU.

I used MSI Afterburner. Pretty nice Software. Far from the only option though.

Edit: Not sure how out-dated this is (read: relevant), but here is a seemingly nice guide to GPU OC:ing:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...utes,1731.html
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-06-16 at 11:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    But you always talk about "all the rigs" you've built. ;p

That's more than can be said for me. >_<
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess you could technically reflash the bios on the card with modified clock speeds and that could count as overclocking with "a" bios lol

I still remember your i5-2300 and your GTS450 which you argued was one of the best GPUs ever, because it could handle a console-port reasonably well

&nbsp;

asus p8p67 pro
    i5 2500k + arctic 13 pro cooler
    coolermaster 690 II lite
    coolermaster gx 650w
    3x samsung HD502HJ 500gb 7200 rpm 16mb
    gainward 570 gtx GoesLikeHell edition
    8gb corsair vengeance 1600 cl8
    21.5" samsung lcd monitor
    razer imperator
    logitech g15
    razer carcharias
    steelseries qck

(gonna order all of this in a couple of days @ bday - did i do smth wrong?)
    Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor, consulta el manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebthet View Post
    asus p8p67 pro
    i5 2500k + arctic 13 pro cooler
    coolermaster 690 II lite
    coolermaster gx 650w
    3x samsung HD502HJ 500gb 7200 rpm 16mb
    gainward 570 gtx GoesLikeHell edition
    8gb corsair vengeance 1600 cl8
    21.5" samsung lcd monitor
    razer imperator
    logitech g15
    razer carcharias
    steelseries qck

(gonna order all of this in a couple of days @ bday - did i do smth wrong?)
    <3 GLH-editions
    Also, buying two 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ will be cheaper and give you 500GB extra storage. If you were planning on RAIDing them, then I can assure you that RAID1 is almost as good as RAID5.
    I personally prefer bigger screens, and I consider CL8 a waste for RAM, as you'd notice no difference from CL9 unless benchmarking (and in price).
    The headset is seriously not worth its price. But otherwise, it looks a-ok.
    &nbsp;

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    <3 GLH-editions
    Also, buying two 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ will be cheaper and give you 500GB extra storage. If you were planning on RAIDing them, then I can assure you that RAID1 is almost as good as RAID5.
    I personally prefer bigger screens, and I consider CL8 a waste for RAM, as you'd notice no difference from CL9 unless benchmarking (and in price).
    The headset is seriously not worth its price. But otherwise, it looks a-ok.
    actually im planning on having 3 hdds in order to have one for the os, one for games and one for fraps / songs, etc. i dont need all that space anyway, the price just scales so bad with gb / price ratio lol.
    as for the ram, on the site im buying from the cl8 are equal price as the cl9, so why not as for the monitor and headset i already have those and satisfied about them, just listed here as they're part of my actual gaming setup
    thx for the feedback.
    Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor, consulta el manual.

actually im planning on having 3 hdds in order to have one for the os, one for games and one for fraps / songs, etc. i dont need all that space anyway, the price just scales so bad with gb / price ratio lol.
    as for the ram, on the site im buying from the cl8 are equal price as the cl9, so why not as for the monitor and headset i already have those and satisfied about them, just listed here as they're part of my actual gaming setup
    thx for the feedback.
    Then I would actually advice you to either buy an SSD for OS+games, and two 500GB drives for your FRAPS-drive, and put them in *shudder* RAID0. But hey, that's me. It'd be a bit more expensive, but a lot more faster in everything you'd do, not to mention more responsive.
    &nbsp;

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    Then I would actually advice you to either buy an SSD for OS+games, and two 500GB drives for your FRAPS-drive, and put them in *shudder* RAID0. But hey, that's me. It'd be a bit more expensive, but a lot more faster in everything you'd do, not to mention more responsive.
    man those ssd are waaay too expensive considering i gotta stand a 1000€ budget, would surely cut down cpu / gpu and stuff. are they rly worth that much? i mean afaik they only speed up loadings :/

man those ssd are waaay too expensive considering i gotta stand a 1000€ budget, would surely cut down cpu / gpu and stuff. are they rly worth that much? i mean afaik they only speed up loadings :/
    It's more of an all around thing. EVERYTHING will be more responsive. Some say it's minimal, some see a huge difference.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    It's more of an all around thing. EVERYTHING will be more responsive. Some say it's minimal, some see a huge difference.
    This.

If you are good with platter drive upkeep (like myself /epeen), then the difference is miniscule.
    red panda red panda red panda!