Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Books] A thread about Neil Gaiman

http://www.facebook.com/neilgaiman

So, Neil Gaiman, how much does he rock? What's your favourite book/comic/tv series by this eccentric genius?

10+ Year Old Account
    Your neilgaiman aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Teroseth View Post
    http://www.facebook.com/neilgaiman

So, Neil Gaiman, how much does he rock? What's your favourite book/comic/tv series by this eccentric genius?
    The Sandman, its so profound and well written. Its so beautiful and moving and so many memorable characters. Neil is a god amongst men when it comes to story writing. My Fav part of it was A Game of You which i found really moving.

To top it off i have the quote "Omina Mutantur Nihil Interit" Tattooed on my right forearm, It means "Everything Changes but Nothing is Truly Lost"

RIP Morpheous

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    Your neilgaiman aren't you?
    I wish I was. He's married to amanda palmer, rawr

Ps: he's also quite good at writing...and i'm only so-so

Next time you go on a long distance drive, get the audiobook of Neverwhere. He does the reading, and it's simply amazing.

Also, if he's ever in a bookstore at your area, go listen to him read some things. Incredible.

10+ Year Old Account
    He wrote American Gods, dear good such an AMAZING book!
    If you take the wings off of a fly, is it a walk?

Good Omens, only book I read of him though.

Of course American Gods, the best one he has wroten! And the other his books are also good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sandman FTW, although Neverwhere comes a very close second.

I can't count how many times I've read The Sandman, favourite is probably Brief Lives (<3Delirium<3) with a Game of You following a VERY close second. Bias aside though, for actually literary merit Kindly Ones has to be at the top.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    Neil Gainam is THE only writer that IN MY OPINION pairs with Martin. Sandman is a masterpiece and THE best comic ever created. If it actualy does reach the TV screens as it has been rumored for some time now, that would incredibly awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Neverwhere is one of those few books that I reread every couple of years and still enjoy the hell outa it. Only read American Gods ones, but think I will have to read it again with the HBO series set to start in 2013. Still not sure how they are going to get the planned 6 seasons outa that one book though. Maybe they will include Anansi Boys in it and expand on the rest of the Gods. With Gaiman as executive producer on the series and is said to be working on at least the pilot script, I have faith in it.

Now lets hope it does well so they will finally make The Sandman into a series or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Aha, thought I recognised the name. He's the chap that co-wrote Good Omens with Terry Pratchett. Bloody good read, that
    I'll have to try some more of his work.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know Skizz, as much as I'd LOVE to see the Sandman as a TV series.... HOW could they make something like that, and not have it suck? Could they EVER find an actor to play Morpheous properly? or Delirium?....or Desire?

I think some things are best left in the medium they where created for, and Sandman is one of those things

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can agree with that. I guess I look at it like the Watchmen movie. Was it anywhere near as good as the comic? Not at all, but it did make many more people aware of The Watchmen and it really was a pretty good movie on its own. If they make a Sandman series that is even half as good as the comics it will not only have a chance to be a good series, but maybe make some people seek out the comics.

best
    around
    no ones ever gonna bring you down

I recently picked up American Gods for a reread on a whim. One of the most hilariously disturbing books I've ever come across. Neverwhere was a really good read, too. Gaiman has an amazing way of blending the real with the surreal, and making you question which elements are which.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know that's a great point Skizz... it doesn't HAVE to be amazing, it just has to be good enough that it makes people want to read the originals, and good enough not to make the fans rage too much..

of course then the question becomes... who do you cast?

Deleted
    Always loved Dave McKean as well. I think he made one of the best The Joker impressions i have seen. (http://sevensheaven.tumblr.com/post/...-extraordinary). Might watch Mirrormask some day even though it looks abit artyfarty in the clips ive seen.

10+ Year Old Account
    nnooo Verd watch it! watch it NNNOOOWWWW, it's a bit arty, but no more so than anything Niel Gaiman has done :P and it's a GREAT story, I got it in a box set on DVD with labyrinth and Dark Crystal, BEST £20 EVER SPENT.

it's an awesome film... and Stephanie Leonidas is hot....

really hot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    nnooo Verd watch it! watch it NNNOOOWWWW, it's a bit arty, but no more so than anything Niel Gaiman has done :P and it's a GREAT story, I got it in a box set on DVD with labyrinth and Dark Crystal, BEST £20 EVER SPENT.

it's an awesome film... and Stephanie Leonidas is hot....

really hot.
    Love the hell outa Mirrormask, even though it was really just a slightly more adult version of Coraline.

BTW, you should add Legend to that list of movies and have the greatest surreal fantasy marathon ever. Tim Curry as a giant demon? Does it get any better?