Thinking about starting boxing, need advice/tips.

Hello all, I've been thinking about starting boxing for a few years now but never really done anything about it. I've admired the sport for years. I used to think it was just 2 oaths bashing each other up but I've realised there's a lot of tactics and intelligence involved. I'm not aiming to be number one or anything but I would like to do amateur competitions one day in the future. I have fairly long arms like a monkey and was agile but WoW has taken it's toll.

Anyway my main barrier is my build and age. I'm 25 but I look like i'm about 16. I'm 5ft 7 and weigh around 60kg. It's probably due to bad diet and that i'm half thai. Anyway I hope to get into the gym and start building my fitness before I box. So I have a few questions:

- Should I lie about my age? Will me being 25 affect anything at a club?
    - I'm fairly unfit, I'm curious what should be my main focus areas at the gym? Any exercises which will be particularly beneficial?
    - How much does it hurt to really get hit in the face or stomach?
    - Any other tips or advice on how to get started?

Greatly appreciate any tips.

Deleted
    I think the best tip is to just go for it.
    Dont be afraid of getting hit, u will slowly get used to it.
    U will run out of breath very fast in the first few months but u will build it up slowly.
    Fitness is also nice to mix it with. Jogging would be very nice too, starting with 20/30 mins and building it up.
    Lying about age is not smart.

Just go watch the training first a few times, talk with the trainer there about it, he will give u much better advice.
    Just go , dont worry

I'd consider training first.

At least 50% of any sport is your physical condition.

Exercise wise - take a look at scooby's site and follow the general advice for where you are now to where you want to be.

www.scoobysworkshop.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Your age at a gym? Or age in like...boxing circles? I can't imagine a reason to lie about age at a gym besides discounts. If they ask you can't prove it you may get in hot water and be banned or something for lying.

Anyway, exercises...I'm not a boxing expert, but I think it makes sense to focus on power exercises. Find exercises that involve quick movements with decent amount of weight. You may have to start smaller though..

For instance, a beginner doing power cleans is probably going to hurt himself, but cleans are an amazing power exercise, and would be perfect for boxing. Can probably do a modified clean with dumbbells that may be safer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyx View Post
    Your age at a gym? Or age in like...boxing circles? I can't imagine a reason to lie about age at a gym besides discounts. If they ask you can't prove it you may get in hot water and be banned or something for lying.

Anyway, exercises...I'm not a boxing expert, but I think it makes sense to focus on power exercises. Find exercises that involve quick movements with decent amount of weight. You may have to start smaller though..

For instance, a beginner doing power cleans is probably going to hurt himself, but cleans are an amazing power exercise, and would be perfect for boxing. Can probably do a modified clean with dumbbells that may be safer.
    Just do power cleans with lower weight, and build up. Should be fine that way. Dumbbell cleans seem as if they'd be really awkward.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimar235 View Post
    - I'm fairly unfit, I'm curious what should be my main focus areas at the gym? Any exercises which will be particularly beneficial?

-No, Age really doesn't matter that much in boxing. And don't worry about your weight too much either, since you're always boxing people roughly the same weight.

-Fitness is really important for boxing. Stamina is required for lasting a long time in the ring but you need to build muscle to be able to deal and especially to take punches. That's right, strong muscles work like body armor when it comes to taking punches. You won't last a minute without as the punches will hurt too much.

-Again the pain depends on your muscle strength. And punch into an untrained stomach can easily knock a person out. But you can take multiple punches to that area if you're ribbed enough. Again muscles work like body armor. As for the face....well...you get used to it. The initial shock can be a bit overwhelming but the pain isn't too bad.

-Before you even set a foot in the ring, get your basic fitness up to scratch with running, skipping and body building. You don't need to be super-ribbed, but again, you need muscles to take punches. I'd say you should spend a good 3 months preparing before you actually start seriously, assuming you're starting from scratch with very little basic fitness. If you're already a little fitter, you can shave off a month.
    Last edited by mmoc433ceb40ad; 2011-07-05 at 01:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hello all, I've been thinking about starting boxing for a few years now but never really done anything about it. I've admired the sport for years. I used to think it was just 2 oaths bashing each other up but I've realised there's a lot of tactics and intelligence involved. I'm not aiming to be number one or anything but I would like to do amateur competitions one day in the future. I have fairly long arms like a monkey and was agile but WoW has taken it's toll.

Anyway my main barrier is my build and age. I'm 25 but I look like i'm about 16. I'm 5ft 7 and weigh around 60kg. It's probably due to bad diet and that i'm half thai. Anyway I hope to get into the gym and start building my fitness before I box. So I have a few questions:

You're not too old. I started practicing Boxing (as part of my MMA training) at the age of 26. Age has nothing to do with it, yes, the older you are the tougher it'll be, but you can still perform if you practice. (admittedly, you'll have to work more than the younger guys to achieve the same results).
    -In the gym, you'll want to work on your aerobic exercises. Concentrate mainly on your core at first. Strength comes a distant second to technique. Technique is EVERYTHING. Technique is what makes a scrawny 120 lb guy punch harder and more effectively than a bulked up muscle head. When you are doing pad work, concentrate on getting off the right technique. You'll need a coach/trainer for this. Don't expect to go to the gym and train yourself.
    -For, we spar at 50% strength, and you should too. But if you plan on going into competitions, then you'll have to spar closer to 80%. You'll never, ever want to spar at 100% because it'll give you unwanted injuries. Leave the 100% for the real deal. And yes, it hurts at first, but you'll get used to it as time goes on.
    -I suggest finding a good boxing gym and joining them. Don't go to any gym and think you'll do good just punching the bags there.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Deleted
    Should I lie about my age? Will me being 25 affect anything at a club?
    No, I recently started and I'm the same age.

I'm fairly unfit, I'm curious what should be my main focus areas at the gym? Any exercises which will be particularly beneficial?
    I'll leave the recommendations to others, but getting a good condition is essential and is a life-style commitment, you shouldn't only think about exercising in the gym.

How much does it hurt to really get hit in the face or stomach?
    At first it'll hurt, after that you'll learn to shrug it off. It still hurst, but it's just different.

Any other tips or advice on how to get started?
    Eat healthy.