Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Fact is engineering is balanced now with every other profession and offers essentially the same +80 stats
    Nope. It's on use, and doesn't stack with other on use trinkets. Since it's 480 on use, you can time it right, making it BETTER than other professions. However, if you have an actual on-use trinket, it's locked out. Thats a bad thing. Be better all around if it was a straight +80, instead of on use.

10+ Year Old Account
    i wil tell you:

Looterang only useable on one target (so sad)
    Armyknife fails most of the time, selling price is below matscost on my realm.
    BarBQ only works once gives lower buff and mats are more expensive than fishfeast on my realm.
    Helm is nice but expensive and gets outdated quite fast.
    Rocketboost backfires often so unreliable
    combatpets =weak + takes trinketslot
    Jeeves (ok banking is nice) matscost are nearly the same as Repmammoth... (on my realm)
    the Guns doesnt sell so well (but i havent tried the new ones yet). the older arnt epic and onpar with any from heroic dungeons for high matzcosts.
    no more ammo to sell (i farmed hard for the recipes)
    no more gasclouds to farm (this is the worst)
    most of the gadgets got one drawback so unreliable
    no farmable recipes, no dailies, hardly any update to the profession..
    no synergie with other professions..
    Last edited by Uriel; 2011-07-21 at 10:36 AM.

Well then its my server it seems, just getting a low of "dump that shit profession" comments when people see me using gizmos that engi provides.

The people who hate Engineering probably took it wanting a profitable profession, which Engineering really isn't. Engineering is great for the fun bonuses and convenience items it gives, particularly to the engineer themselves (Jeeves FTW mkay).

People hate engineering? If you want a profitable profession, there are other ones. That's no reason to hate it.

The Engineering items do tend to fail more than necessary for balance, but that would be my only complaint.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koishi View Post
    That makes engi the worst pve dps-wise profession after mining and herbalism.
    That is absolutely not true, incoming math:

Synapse Springs provide a 480 boost to 1 stat, say Strength for a Fury Warrior.

They have a 10 second length, with a 60 second CD, for an uptime of 1/6.

1/6 * 480 = 80, which is the same Strength bonus as say Blacksmith, but now it's on a CD so you have some leeway on when you want to use it.

In addition to having the exact same stat bonus as the other professions, you have all the situational bonuses (and not all of them misfire), so arguably it is the best PvE profession.

I think every day about dropping Engi for tailoring or jewelcrafting.

Then I open my bags and see that I have 24 bag slots worth of goodies I can only use as an engineer, and the thought fizzles from my mind.

---------- Post added 2011-07-28 at 05:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tennesseej View Post

1/6 * 480 = 80, which is the same Strength bonus as say Blacksmith, but now it's on a CD so you have some leeway on when you want to use it.

In addition to having the exact same stat bonus as the other professions, you have all the situational bonuses (and not all of them misfire), so arguably it is the best PvE profession.
    The problem with this, is the second you don't use your gloves *right* away, it becomes 79 strength, moments later 78 strength, average, see what I mean? Takes a more skilled player to be an engineer and make full use of its perks.

Eh, I had engineering in tbc and wotlk and it was fun. I decided to leave it for enchanting a couple of months ago after realizing that the only thing I use are the mana gloves tinker, Jeeves and parachute every now and then, everything else was kinda useless to me (trinkets/helm/loot-e-rang/guns/etc). Plus plasma shield backfired more times wiping the raid/dungeon group more times than actually helping me.
    Imo they should have added more fun stuff in Cata, or at least not made MC dish a belt enchant. I just think it's kinda bland in the fun department compared to what it used to be... Might go back to it again eventually though, I just like switching professions a lot. /sigh

Love it personally, wish the other profession were as entertaining.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seresumuerte View Post
    The problem with this, is the second you don't use your gloves *right* away, it becomes 79 strength, moments later 78 strength, average, see what I mean? Takes a more skilled player to be an engineer and make full use of its perks.
    Yes, but when you are running out of the fire, throttling DPS for Tank threat, or not DPSing for any reason, your 80 str from Blacksmithing is effectively becoming 79, 78, etc.

I don't think it takes a huge amount of skill to use it effectively, you just have to be aware of whats going on, and ensure you are getting the most uptime with it without delaying more than you have to.

Deleted
    Yes, but when you are running out of the fire, throttling DPS for Tank threat, or not DPSing for any reason, your 80 str from Blacksmithing is effectively becoming 79, 78, etc.

I don't think it takes a huge amount of skill to use it effectively, you just have to be aware of whats going on, and ensure you are getting the most uptime with it without delaying more than you have to.
    This. Whilst static stat buffs lose benefit when your not full out DPS, the gloves lose nothing cos the cooldown is just ticking away. If you look at normal professions as 80 stat up for 100% of your uptime DPS, the gloves are more like 85 stat for 100% of your uptime DPS. Then the fact that the entire use can be buffed by things like cooldowns, trinkets and BL, whilst only 80 stats for a normal profession gets buffed, Engineering pulls even further ahead. Then you add in things like the interrupt gun, nitroboost/shield and Saronite Bombs (if your really skilled, these are still a DPS increase of like 100 DPS. I have a macro built into my keyboard so all I have to do is press my lightning bolt button and every minute I will instantly throw an off global cooldown Saronite bomb at the position my mouse is at (no need to click/place). Engineering has so many wicked things people really underestimate.

Engineering is awesome i don't think i will ever drop it, how ever it does have its draw backs.

Its among what i call the "Forgotten" professions along with alchemy and enchanting, and on a lesser scale Jewel crafting. I call them the "Forgotten professions" purely because not alot changes from the beginning to the end of an expac, let me explain

IIRC (could be wrong)
    BC - Engineering got new helms with SWP patch
    - Alchemy got New Trinket SWP patch
    - Enchanting got a new enchant or 2 SWP patch?
    - JC got epic Gem cuts with BT/Hyjal, neck and ring with SWP
    - LW, BS, Tailoring gets new gear patterns every content patch

Wrath - Engineering got Jeeves at some point (ToC i think) and new ammo with ICC
    - Alchemy got nothing
    - Enchanting got nothing?
    - JC got epic gem cuts at some point (unsure but maybe rings necks with ICC?)
    - LW, BS, Tailoring got new patterns every content patch.

However its not all bad even without new patterns (with the exception of Engineering) gem cuts, enchants, flasks will ALWAYS be in demand, where the new recipes are expensive to create and get replaced quickly if you're a raider, how ever there can also be a crap ton of gold made by casual who don't raid or people trying to gear up quickly or alts. so yeah would like a few new things to play with from my "forgotten" profession list would be nice
    Last edited by Fairelight; 2011-07-29 at 01:24 AM.

Leveling Engineering can be a pain
    SO YOU WANT TO CREATE ITEMDERP1?
    Go grind for Item2 and Item3 to make item4 then you need to get another item2 to make item5 then make item5 with item4 to make itemderp1
    Last edited by Bitehattori; 2011-07-29 at 01:31 AM.
    You must become a Master Baiter if you want to want to master the One-eyed Fish of the Dark Caverns!

I thought eng was good for pvp? ie rocket boots up in the air then flexweave float over an enemy wall. Or take down gates with saronite bombs. Are those days gone?

Engineering is amazing! I have it on 5 different toons purely because of the extra perks. The +480 stat bonus is nice but its the utility perks that make it worthwhile.

Oh whats that - it's a hunter flying in from LM to BS multishooting and shooting traps from in the air. Can't get more bad ass than that.

Quote Originally Posted by dexx View Post
    I thought eng was good for pvp? ie rocket boots up in the air then flexweave float over an enemy wall. Or take down gates with saronite bombs. Are those days gone?
    A lot of engy stuff is locked on Rated BGs and arena - you know, where it actually MATTERS?

However, the gloves share a trinket-cd with on-use trinkets. So when you have a trinket with an on-use effect the Gloves become unavailable. And thats typically during a cooldown-phase, where you now cannot benefit from the engineering profession or the "inflation" of stats due to cooldown use.
    So the glvoes then become that basic, average 80str. But, it doesnt get to benefit from the stat inflation during a burn phase where you blow cooldowns.

Also, as stated before, the moment you delay the glove use the average stat value drops. And if you pop the cooldown and due to a boss mechanic you are unable to fully benefit from it, the time not spend dpsing hurts extra hard to the Glove Tinkers benefits.

So, no. It is not the same benefit. Its stronger if you dont have an on-use trinket, but weaker if you do. But there are a ton of very powerfull on-use trinkets around so far, so... you figure out 1+1.

Additionally Engineering lacks a solid marketable nature, and is by far the least profitable profession. The goodies have an enormous fail rate, making them a liability to use. And the headgear is outdated by current content.
    Blizzard seems to lack inovation or a clear idea what they wanna do with engineering. For example, why is the failrate on the Gnomish Army Knife so huge when most people are in a lv25 guild and get a Resurect anyway.