Disc priest pvp guide?

I just picked up my priest from the dust and started to pvp as disc. But it seems that I couldn't find any good pvp guides for disc priests to give me basics about that spec. Anyone knows one?

DISCLAIMER! all of this is from the perspective of a priest with loads of bg experience, and little arena practice

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bfbcRosMforocoZhb0o

that's the spec i'm using. might want to swap reflective shields for borrowed time, i find BT encourages me to spam PW:S more (which is the reason i put one point in soul warding, to prevent spamming). i go more down the shadow tree to get the one point in twisted faith because a missed offensive dispel can lose battles. with natural hit from spirit you can concentrate on getting more spirit pieces. priests have always had issues with blowing mana quickly, especially in pvp gear. i'm sat at 1651 spirit in honor gear, with that, glyph choice, rapture and a 4 minute fiend i seem to be ok.

try to cast instants when in a skirmish (another reason i feel borrowed time is wasted talent points), last thing you want is to be interupted and locked out. if you do have to hard cast make sure to hit inner focus before. makes your next heal cost no mana, and with that spec i get 5 seconds immunity to silence and interrupts. you could even macro inner focus to all your casted heals if you want, though sometimes you'll blow it healing when there's no trouble, then a rogue pops up and you'll have to cast without it. 45 second cooldown so it's not too bad if you do though. don't be scared to pop power infusion on yourself either. 20% haste and mana cost reduction is worth the 3 minute cooldown. just beware of spellstealing mages

experiment with the spec too. some might go into the holy tree to get desperate prayer for a nice instant self-heal. others might call me a complete and total noob for reflective shields (if you take it, you'll be thankful when you've had a hunter or a warrior chasing you around for a few minutes, the damage isn't deadly, but over time it will wear them down. some dots will speed this process up)

also, set your healing bars to show you when there's a magic effect on your teammates, with all the frost mages running around your team will be thankful for the dispels as this renders frost mages damage pitiful. offensive dispelling is also one of the great things about being a priest. most, but not all short duration buffs (think paladin wings) can be stripped away. mass dispel works on paladins bubble, bloodlust/heroism and mages iceblock

glyphs to use. desperation, inner fire, penance and PW:S are essential. i use SWeath, spirit tap, levitate, fortitude and shadowfiend as well (i use SW death a lot, the mana back from spirit tap glyph is just the icing on the cake when i finish off the rogue who has just beaten himself half to death on my reflective shields)

the trick to discipline priests is to remember to be offensive too. no other healer can put out as much damage as we can. NEVER cast holy fire/smite. you'll get locked out of your heals. always shadow spells. make a macro, 3x mind spike, mind blast. if you have 8 seconds where you don't need to heal, nuke something (mana permitting). better yet, mind control an enemy healer off a cliff or into your melee group. jump and spin for added confusion
    somebody call for d doctor?

there's absolutely no reason to not get desp prayer
    also, you either get 3/3 divine fury or completely leave out the talent (you can get hit rating from offset pieces)
    also, reflective shield is bad

borrowed time is very useful because it also reduces gcd (for instants) and it makes it easier to get long cast time spells off (rez, hymns)
    Last edited by xindralol; 2011-08-04 at 02:20 PM.

Closest thing to a guide:
    http://www.arenajunkies.com/topic/18...-arena-in-406/

Ignore lots of what bobo said, although no offense to him. It's great that people experiment in regular bg's and find stuff that works for them, but most of the advice was pretty off from a serious-pvp standpoint.

Using spirit-tap glyph is a huge error. This only procs if you get a KB, which your not going to be getting tons of as a Disc Priest. Sure you can snipe a kill here and there, but it's not at all something you should rely on, especially when there are 4 major glyph's you really want and only 3 slots to put them in (desperation, pom, mass dispel, dispel magic).

Deperate Prayer is your life-line. You will not find a single high rated disc priest that doesn't go at least 6 points into Holy to get this.

Follow the guide for the most part. Basics aside from that are to use instants as your priority (PW:S, PoM, renew). Penance is your next goto, juke if you are under pressure (stop after 1 or 2 ticks to make them miss a kick). FH is your "meat" heal. Use other heals when situation calls for it.

Krimson: glyph of dispel magic is not as good as it used to be with the current dispel protections an affliction lock have. It's still good, but in comparision to glyph of mass dispel it's a no brainer (the other two is a big nono to switch out). Mass dispel is a spell used in desperate situations and it's important to keep it short due to esier avioding shadow step kick etcetc.

Quote Originally Posted by eErike View Post
    Krimson: glyph of dispel magic is not as good as it used to be with the current dispel protections an affliction lock have. It's still good, but in comparision to glyph of mass dispel it's a no brainer (the other two is a big nono to switch out). Mass dispel is a spell used in desperate situations and it's important to keep it short due to esier avioding shadow step kick etcetc.
    Please re-read, I never said to use dispel magic over mass dispel (and mass dispel is in my list). I was simply listing that there are 4 really good glyphs in these slots and using spirit tap is just unheard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Krimson View Post
    Please re-read, I never said to use dispel magic over mass dispel (and mass dispel is in my list). I was simply listing that there are 4 really good glyphs in these slots and using spirit tap is just unheard of.
    You listed four glyphs that was fighting for your three slots. My intentions was not to make you look "bad" or "nooby" and I'm sorry if it came out in such a manor that it did. I wished to put it out there that glyph of MD is the go to glyph and as you mentioned them all I simply adressed you.

And yes, indeed, glyph of spirit tap is a very unclever pick as it only helps when a target is killed (if you get the killing blow, and you won't) and that's usually when most games are allready won.
    Last edited by eErike; 2011-08-04 at 04:10 PM.