Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    ice, heat, ice, heat, repeat

10+ Year Old Account
    Do a 5-10+ minute cool down on a cardio machine after your workout, a bike machine or a treadmill. I often find if I do that after a intensive workout that it's not as bad the next day.

15+ Year Old Account
    You should also contact your trainer and tell him/her how you felt after the exercise you accomplished, so he/she knows it and won't repeat the same mistake on other persons. I guess he/she thought pushing you would result in faster results, and therefor happy customer.

Its mostly your cns adapting to the new routine. Give it a bit to adapt and it will subside somewhat, youll still get doms, but thats normal. DOMS is more soreness and discomfort then pain, if its pain somethings wrong. Keep up protein intake and maybe look into glutamine, but being as new as you are probably unnecessary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Drink ALOT of water. Also when you stretch, ease into it. Start just by sitting down on a firm, flat surface and spread your legs apart. Maybe after a minute, lean forward a little. Just sitting in a stretching will help ease the pain a bit. Drink alot of water, too.

I did forget to mention stretch after the routine. Warm up with some dynamic stretches too

That's what happens when you start of way too intense.

Quote Originally Posted by Markatron View Post
    I did forget to mention stretch after the routine. Warm up with some dynamic stretches too
    There's actually no proof that stretching is good for you. There are arguments for both sides (stretching for more "flexibility" but a lot lower explosive strength).

Deleted
    After the first workouts you're guaranteed to get sore, and it will reduce over time. Soreness hit me pretty hard on the legs aswell when I started working out. You just have to suck it up, although I kinda find it pretty good feeling. You'll grow to appreciate great soreness when you've done this for a while, when it becomes harder to achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by chargad View Post
    Hi, I'm a 46 year old female, sedetary lifestyle, wanted to get to a gym to start working out for weight loss and to get in shape. Hired a trainer at the gym, told him my age and my lack of exercise history. He immediately started me with 20 full lunges holding 20 pound weights (no warm up, and shame on me, but I didn't know to ask), then proceeded to run me through an hour of intense training, including more lunges and squats holding 25 pound weights. When I "walked" out of the gym my legs were burning and wobbly but no severe pain. It has been 72 hours since this workout and I still can't sit or stand without holding on to something. Going up and down stairs is almost impossible. The tops of my thighs are more than just your average post-workout sore (THAT I could deal with). They hurt to touch. Any suggestions? I've done a little bit of stretching but afraid to do much more, also using icy-hot. Thanks!
    This generally always happens when you first start, the aftermath of the first "major" session will hurt, and it will for a few days.

but eventually you will get to the point where it won't hurt as much. It is just muscle tear.

The best thing to make it stop hurting? Do it again. It puts the same tension on the muscles and your cns adapts quicker. I find that If I repeat a workout on the third day I go in sore. But the DOMS is gone after that workout.

Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    That's what happens when you start of way too intense. There's actually no proof that stretching is good for you. There are arguments for both sides (stretching for more "flexibility" but a lot lower explosive strength).
    Thats if your doing statics before excercise. I said do dynamics prior and statics after, and everything I have read says that doing statics after do not compromise power and strength but promote flexibility. Static stretching before yeah I agree lowers explosiveness but thats not what I said.

Well if you're mainly sedentary you should start off with a mild warm-up, and continue with a mild work out. Then give your body a day or two to relax and rebuild. Not warming up and jumping right into it can cause you serious permanent injury, and it'll hurt your workout routine. It sounds like your trainer is a moron.

You need to build up your strength before going crazy.

Warmup + Workout -> Rest -> Repeat

If you're in physical pain, stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    There's actually no proof that stretching is good for you. There are arguments for both sides (stretching for more "flexibility" but a lot lower explosive strength).
    I actually kind of agree. You can do some stretching in your off day or post-workout, but stretching before a workout can (sometimes) cause muscles to tighten rather than relax.
    Last edited by Glomp; 2011-08-09 at 07:47 PM.

Shame on your trainer for working you so hard to start and without a warm up. If that was me I would have flipped him off right away and said, "no warm up? You're a complete joke and shouldn't be a trainer. Cya." Now personally I don't need a trainer because I know what I'm doing, but really in your case it's still an after work out sore, but because he started you out so hard and because you hadn't exercised before that in a while it will be a pain you haven't felt. It will be bump up in the sore meter so to speak. lol. But don't worry, it will fade in about a week or so. After, you will be less sore and eventually back down to the type of work out sore you can handle.

Deleted
    happens to me all the time when i havent been to the gym for awhile, but as stated before walk it off )

Quote Originally Posted by Glomp View Post
    I actually kind of agree. You can do some stretching in your off day or post-workout, but stretching before a workout can (sometimes) cause muscles to tighten rather than relax.
    Sometimes being if you do static stretches pre workout. Fully agree. But I said dynamic. Dynamics pre workout are amazing for warming up muscles and getting them loose.