Page 9 of 58 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post
    Accidentally left the GPU client running all night, got me to 11th place but i woke up really hot and wondering why i could hear the fans
    Out of curiousity, what graphics card are you using? ;o

Mine are running during the day when I'm away, but the radial fans of the evga 460's are quite audible at full spin so don't really feel like having GPU folding on when I come home. At least not two of them! But they do seem to net a large amount of points.

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Out of curiousity, what graphics card are you using? ;o

Mine are running during the day when I'm away, but the radial fans of the evga 460's are quite audible at full spin so don't really feel like having GPU folding on when I come home. At least not two of them! But they do seem to net a large amount of points.
    evga 460, same has you

15+ Year Old Account
    I have the card in my sig, currently OCd to 800/1600, and I leave it running for about 8 hours folding and it never breaks 54°C

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    I have the card in my sig, currently OCd to 800/1600, and I leave it running for about 8 hours folding and it never breaks 54°C
    That's the reference 460. EVGA also made an external exhaust (EE) version too that gets a little hotter (normally the ref. design by nvidia is with an EE but not in the case of the 460). And also a lot louder due to the radial type fan. The benefit of it is a lower temperature inside the case since more of the hot air is going right out the backside.

One of my 460's is up around 80C so I think I need to make a re-seat of the heatsink soon (considering it's the LOWER card having the HIGHER temp). Many initial EVGA 460 EEs had it put on in a crappy way with too much thermal paste I've heard.

But I keep delaying that operation since 80c really isn't that dangerous ;o

So I just set up the -smp client. At this rate it can complete a WU in a little under 6 hours. Is this good/bad/normal?
    Taking a look at that benchmarks, it takes longer than the non-oc 2600K. Lurking these forums is the only thing I do btw.

Switching this GPU to a GTX570 in a few days/weeks, so that'll help out too

-edit- It is safe to run a GPU client next to a CPU client, right?

-extra edit- What is this -bigadv flag exactly and what does it do? I read something about having to finish 10 SMP WU's first before qualifying or something :S In general, is it worth it with my CPU?
    Last edited by Asmekiel; 2011-08-22 at 11:45 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Wries is going to pass me! D:

Curse not having an i7 right now...
    red panda red panda red panda!

10+ Year Old Account
    i was trying to get up there with wries . I have been running my 2500k oc'd to 4ghz, 24/7 for about 6 days now and my GTX 570 for about 4 days straight, only turning GPU off when I'm raiding. Can't keep up with wries :S. Damn you!

Just put together a new rig for myself... wanted to do some folding on it - registered for the forums just to join the team

12 core 2.1ghz 16gb ram w/ evga GTX 580 3gb edition.
    I plan to upgrade to 24 cores and 64gb ram when im finished with this machine
    (mobo is an asus KGP(m)E-d16
    amd magny-cours

im sure ill end up adding it to my sig in a bit

... ps: aww no way to subscribe to threads (send an e-mail in case of reply??? )

Edit: this needs to be stickied :P
    Last edited by onyxblack; 2011-08-23 at 02:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by onyxblack View Post
    Just put together a new rig for myself... wanted to do some folding on it - registered for the forums just to join the team

amd magny-cours

... ps: aww no way to subscribe to threads (send an e-mail in case of reply??? )

thats the same MB i use for VM servers, was actually quite surprised that AMD had a LGA socket

Quote Originally Posted by onyxblack View Post

amd magny-cours

Top right. Thread Tools > Subscribe....

http://www.mmo-champion.com/subscrip...ption&t=948557

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Wries is going to pass me! D:
    You'd think so! But I'm lagging behind now Curse my ears for not wanting the 460's folding at night.
    Curse not having an i7 right now...
    They all laughed at me! But who's laughing now?! =D

---------- Post added 2011-08-23 at 03:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    -extra edit- What is this -bigadv flag exactly and what does it do? I read something about having to finish 10 SMP WU's first before qualifying or something :S In general, is it worth it with my CPU?
    As I understand it, it gives some really big jobs for the CPU with a rather short deadline. An i7 2600K at our clock speeds should be able to finish them in time for bonus points, so yes it should be worth it.

But yeah the results on google suggests to me that 10 fahcore A3 (or A2, linux) WUs needs to be completed WITH a passkey in order to qualify. Explains why I haven't gotten any -bigadv core yet, the SMP2 client has only completed 8 WUs so far and even fewer with a passkey as I added that later on..

Folding has actually been my motivating choice for processors for about 6 years now. I'm waiting until the new 2066(?) whatever socket comes out, as I like to go with the enthusiast boards and procs.

As for the passkey, as far as I know you need it just for bonus points and not for the -bigadv, although getting the bonuses is what makes them so worthwhile. Just from crunching a bigadv unit, I went from 14k PPD to 22k on an i7 920 OCd to 3.0. Now that I know I can make the timelines again, I may have to see about cranking it up to 3.2, but thats about the most this stepping will go. Stupid early adoption stepping

15+ Year Old Account
    You'd think so! But I'm lagging behind now Curse my ears for not wanting the 460's folding at night.
    The only thing folding during the night at home is my PS3. D:

A 560Ti Hawk isn't quiet at 100% fan speed. lol.

However now that I am about to leave for work... it's running again. xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Receiving fahcore A5 atm so first -bigadv starting now then Going slooooooooow in comparison to A3 works.

10+ Year Old Account
    just jumped up to 23rd with my two pcs 1 Quad 1 Dual still going strong

(yay for no electric bill)
    User:IMACOSMONAUT

Marest im going to steal your spot in the top 10!

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Receiving fahcore A5 atm so first -bigadv starting now then Going slooooooooow in comparison to A3 works.
    Oh, nice. So setting the -bigadv now won't affect anything untill I can actually do it?
    Currently on 42% from my 5th SMP WU.

15+ Year Old Account
    I am so getting a dedicated folding box.

And it will be a Zambezi. Your Hyperthreading will know pain.

BAM 9th place, cpu and gpu just finished a wu

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Oh, nice. So setting the -bigadv now won't affect anything untill I can actually do it?
    Currently on 42% from my 5th SMP WU.
    Unclear on the details. Googling my butt off on the subject of bigadv but I think the rules might change now and then. I know as of recently (think July) bigadv WUs aren't worth as much as they used to anyway. But my client DID finish 10 Fahcore A3 WUs before it recieved this fahcore A5.

My client had "always run advmethods" activated in advanced settings during my initial setup. But I recently reconfigured and disabled that as I read running -bigadv will either fetch you a bigadv WU or fall back on -advmethods, so the "always run advmethods" option might have been a dumb thing to say yes to, if it somehow ignores the -bigadv flag.

Also I may refer to fahcores too often. Projects in themselves seem to fetch different kinds of points. One fahcore a3 might give more points than the next of the same. Again I'm kinda very new to this ;o

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    I am so getting a dedicated folding box.

And it will be a Zambezi. Your Hyperthreading will know pain.
    ¨

Bring it on! I think most of my points have been gained through my graphics cards anyway.Last CPU project, that took twice as much time as a GPU3 project, gave me about 400 points while GPU3 projects always seem to give around 1325.

---------- Post added 2011-08-23 at 03:27 PM ----------

I found my future dedicated folding card!
    http://translate.google.se/translate...romforbrukning
    Last edited by Wries; 2011-08-23 at 03:29 PM.