Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Smartass response not appreciated... <<
    No doubt isn't constructive at all. Plenty of games and programs have to be installed by DVD.

That's... honestly a pretty bad build imo, mate. And he already mentioned not having access to a Windows 7 key apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Duskmoon View Post
    Your argument being? It should work much better for the OP than your suggestion.
    You've downgraded most parts to fit in an SSD, a CPU cooler and a case change.

Particularly the first is a massive budget-chewer. It's almost the single most expensive item.

---------- Post added 2011-08-19 at 09:10 PM ----------

Things I'd change from my earlier build mentioned:
    OEM'd Intel i5 2500k
    Replace the RAM, I accidentally chose the 2000MHz earlier.
    Add in the Hyper 212+ CPU cooler.

---------- Post added 2011-08-19 at 09:15 PM ----------

Final revision
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2011-08-19 at 09:17 PM.

Deleted
    Yeah, sadly I've just finished Uni, so don't have access to a Windows 7 key. I've been using XP up until now.

Last build posted seems nice, although a £65 fan when I'm not overclocking seems a bit overkill?

Apart from that, an SSD wasn't that needed, it was something I would like, but would sacrifice CPU / GPU for it any time. It's something I can pick up later.

Thanks again those who posted!

Well, you can drop to the Hyper 212+, it just seemed like too good an opportunity to pass up! :P
    It'll be frigging cold in your case if you keep the NH-D14 though. It's the best damned aircooler out there.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    An SSD is only going to reduce load times. If you can handle a load time of 25-30 seconds instead of a 10 second load time, skip the SSD. I think you're overestimating the usefulness of a SSD over a higher end video card.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Makes a world of difference? It shortens loading times. Nothing else. These are already fairly fast on mechanical drives, and the SSD will have exactly no impact on more than quality of life.

But I will apologize for a little too harsh words earlier. It's not bad, but I really can't see it as a very budget-friendly PC.

...AND GOD THE NEW SMILEYS LOOK TERRIBLE. :|

Deleted
    Hiii!

Just posting to say I have it now, and it's working a looooot better than my old machine.

My only problem now is the Hyper 212+ Fan is running at 100% (2000+ RPM), even under 0% load (20~ degree temp). I don't mind, just the noise is pretty loud and distracting.

I can't find anything in the BIOS relating to Fan speed.

I downloaded SpeedFan and manually turned the fan down myself, but I honestly can't find anything anywhere to turn down the Fan that isn't an external proram.

For the time being I turned the fan down to lowest in SpeedFan, and running prime95 for 20 minutes~ the highest temp was 50 degrees (with both sides of the case off), would it be safe to leave the fan on this low speed, as I'm sure games don't stress the CPU as much.

Even using SpeedFans automatic fan control that controls fan based on CPU temp it fulls at full speed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by danmofo View Post
    Hiii!

Just posting to say I have it now, and it's working a looooot better than my old machine.

My only problem now is the Hyper 212+ Fan is running at 100% (2000+ RPM), even under 0% load (20~ degree temp). I don't mind, just the noise is pretty loud and distracting.

I can't find anything in the BIOS relating to Fan speed.

I downloaded SpeedFan and manually turned the fan down myself, but I honestly can't find anything anywhere to turn down the Fan that isn't an external proram.

For the time being I turned the fan down to lowest in SpeedFan, and running prime95 for 20 minutes~ the highest temp was 50 degrees (with both sides of the case off), would it be safe to leave the fan on this low speed, as I'm sure games don't stress the CPU as much.

Even using SpeedFans automatic fan control that controls fan based on CPU temp it fulls at full speed.
    Having both sides of the case off can mess with the airflow and result in worse cooling.
    If you don't want to control the fans via software, you could buy a fan controller or new fans (some come with fan controllers, others with some resistors so you can control their speed).
    I use the Corsair A70 heatsink and it came with a resistor, so you may want to check the cooler's manual