Poll: Gandalf, or Dumbledore?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I was told once only people of faith will think that Gandalf is in fact a great wizard as they only ever tell you his is and you are expected to believe this even though you are never given any shred of evidence that he is anything more than an old man that can't die with a light shield and a police flashlight at the end of his staff. The idea that he is a great wizard is further hampered by the fact that in a great army battle where a proper wizard could decimate hoards of enemies with spells he chooses to melee 1v1.

Dumbledore all the way on thsi one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Elminster would own both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Elminster would own both of them.
    And then Pug would come and duel him (Hard to say who'd win outta them though)

"Dumbledore, your wand is broken." *snap*

Deleted
    Gandalf, because he's a Maia. And even though he's not using magic that often it doesn't mean he couldn't. Oh, and his technically unkillable, because the Valar can send his spirit back into a body as many times as they desire. I know I'm a LOTR nerd.

Doesnt Gandalf need a staff to perform magic? Similar to how Dumbledore needs a wand.

Dumbledore would win.

Quote Originally Posted by pickley View Post
    Doesnt Gandalf need a staff to perform magic? Similar to how Dumbledore needs a wand.

Dumbledore would win.
    Im not 100% on that one, but Gandalf is also pretty much immortal and knows melee combat. The magic in harry potter is pretty pathetic, so a nice gun or sword would probably be the better option.

10+ Year Old Account
    Youtube thumbs-up comments currently 184 for Gandalf and 180 for Dumbledor....very close!
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdruidelf View Post
    Im not 100% on that one, but Gandalf is also pretty much immortal and knows melee combat. The magic in harry potter is pretty pathetic, so a nice gun or sword would probably be the better option.
    Pathetic? They have a 1 hit kill spell :S.

I know Gandalf was pretty much defenseless after he lost his staff during the fight at Isengard.

Pathetic? They have a 1 hit kill spell :S.

I know Gandalf was pretty much defenseless after he lost his staff during the fight at Isengard.
    Saruman was also a much more powerful wizard than Gandalf the Grey was.

Deleted
    I like Gandalf better but Dumbledore would win without a question. In Lord of the Rings, magic was more like in real life, mages couldn't do much or when they did something, it required significant effort and wasn't that impressive. I think Gandalf and Saruman tossing each other around was the best they could do. Gandalf also prefered using a sword to magic under normal circumstances. However in Harry Potter universe, magic was quite powerful and easy to use. Ol' Dumby could just blink around and spam fireballs or some such while Gandalf waves around hes sword:P

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-cleave View Post
    Saruman was also a much more powerful wizard than Gandalf the Grey was.
    I dont know, they seemed neck n neck in their little push fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont know, they seemed neck n neck in their little push fight.
    Not exactly neck n neck, Gandalf (Grey) was just a tad weaker than Saruman (White) and ended up getting whooped in their initial fight. But considering the power difference between Grey and White is supposed to be HUGE Gandalf did pretty damn well....so it made sense that when he went White, Saruman didn't stand a chance.
    When faced with the decision of taking the mountains or the mines in the first movie, even though he wanted to take the mountains I think he was scared beause he couldn't counter Saruman's bad-weather spell.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Not exactly neck n neck, Gandalf (Grey) was just a tad weaker than Saruman (White) and ended up getting whooped in their initial fight. But considering the power difference between Grey and White is supposed to be HUGE Gandalf did pretty damn well....so it made sense that when he went White, Saruman didn't stand a chance.
    When faced with the decision of taking the mountains or the mines in the first movie, even though he wanted to take the mountains I think he was scared beause he couldn't counter Saruman's bad-weather spell.
    Yeah, but he was even more afraid of the sheer amount of orcs/goblins and the Balrog in the mines, I think. I think he knew what had happened to the dwarves, while Gimli had no idea. So he was willing to chance the mountains rather than have to face those.

On the (kinda) same side, Saruman knew there was a Balrog in the Mines, so he did the spell to force them into them.

The movies VASTLY underplay the power of Gandalf. You really have to know the lore to understand what he can really do. Gandalf also doesn't flaunt his power. Gandalf is never in a truly difficult fight in the movies, other than the Balrog, so he never uses his big spells. So one may ask, why didn't he use one of said big spells against the Balrog. Well, if my lore books are worth the paper they're printed one, he did, but the Balrog is the one opponent that can counter it. Gandalf tried to use the flame of Anor against the Balrog, but the Balrog is immune to all magic. Any other being would have been wasted by that light coming from his staff, which the movies did not do justice.

If you've ever seen DBZ, think kamehameha wave. Even an opponent like the witch king of Angmar would have been blasted into oblivion by Gandalf's power if he chose to use it. Such a thing is physically taxing to him though, which is why he carries a sword and doesn't go around zapping everything in sight. He only uses as much power as he needs to. He's not interested in showing off, or going totally overkill on every single opponent.

Once again, for anyone that missed it, I would like to remind everyone that the movies butcher the lore really really badly. Like Aragorn getting Anduril from Elrond in Return of the king, instead of getting the banner of Elendil from the rangers lol.

Deleted
    Dumbledore, I mean, he can turn glass into dust, and trap voldemort in a ball of water, and (if you read the books) he can reanimate a fucking titanic statue to fight for him... Gandalf vs a huge metal statue armed with a huge sword and shield? Ehemm, and if he defeats that, dumbledore is right behind it. It takes ALOT to defeat dumbledore.

Edit: On a different note, my fanboyism is extremely strong. I dont actually know who would win.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthwings View Post
    Dumbledore, I mean, he can turn glass into dust, and trap voldemort in a ball of water, and (if you read the books) he can reanimate a fucking titanic statue to fight for him... Gandalf vs a huge metal statue armed with a huge sword and shield? Ehemm, and if he defeats that, dumbledore is right behind it. It takes ALOT to defeat dumbledore.

Edit: On a different note, my fanboyism is extremely strong. I dont actually know who would win.
    Dumbledore does have the Elder Wand, so thats a + for him. Plus he was crazy prepared, I think with these he has a good chance at beating Gandalf.

Gandalf is also Magneto.
    The guy who plays them is an amazing actor.
    X-men and LOTR are >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> harry potter.
    Fought a giant lava monster with a sword after one of the most memorable movie quotes ever.
    Gandalf wins.

Dumbledore does have the Elder Wand, so thats a + for him. Plus he was crazy prepared, I think with these he has a good chance at beating Gandalf.
    As someone who is pretty familiar with the lore of both Harry Potter and LOTR, trust me, it wouldn't even be close. There's nothing Dumledore could do that Gandalf couldn't easily counter and Gandalf could kill Dumbledore in one hit and Dumbledore would have no means of countering it. It would literally be like sending a newborn baby to fight a Terminator.

Gandalf is an Istari, which roughly means immortal super-powered badass. Dumbledore is a mortal with a wand.
    "With this costume, I'll get Asian girls for sure!"
    - Judge Malthred revealing my avatar's inner thoughts