Poll: Gandalf, or Dumbledore?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    I don't know why but at first I read that as Dumbeldore... and I was all like "Kerath I am Disapoint".... and then I realized that I just can't read lol
    Hah! As if
    Don't get me wrong, I like the Harry Potter books and love Dumbledore as a character, but he just pales in comparison to the epicness that is Gandalf.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Using his magic physically weakens him. If he used enough power to force himself to sleep it would be enough to end the world in seconds. It is perhaps Gandalf's one weakness, but it's an almost impossible weakness to exploit because if you can bait him into using too much power, you have to survive being the bait...

---------- Post added 2011-09-02 at 12:10 AM ----------

Read my previous posts. There is NOTHING Dumbledore can do to hurt Gandalf, even with the Elder Wand. And Gandalf has literally dozens, maybe even hundreds of ways that he could kill Dumbledore. And please do not insult Glamdring by implying that it is useless simply because it's a sword. Magic sword of more epic than you can imagine > mortal magic.

How about this. How about an ultra Dumbledore nerd explains to me all the ways that Dumbledore could beat Gandalf, and I'll explain to you why it wouldn't work.

Edit: It's cool Shadow-cleave.

Another Edit: Actually I misread your post! I thought that you were saying that it's easy to weaken Gandalf, and that it would be like a 60 mage trying to solo Rag, with Gandalf being the mage and Dumbledore being Rag. I now see my error, you were clearly referring to Gandalf as Rag.
    you do know that both are fictional characters and all of their powers are from the minds of their creators right... You cannot definitivly PROVE that gandalf is superior but go ahead... Dumbledore is one of the wizards so powerful that he can do magic without using his voice and even some without using his wand - he can also teleport and do something akin to telekinesis which would look an awful lot like when Gandalf was beaten by Sauroman

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    you do know that both are fictional characters and all of their powers are from the minds of their creators right... You cannot definitivly PROVE that gandalf is superior but go ahead... Dumbledore is one of the wizards so powerful that he can do magic without using his voice and even some without using his wand - he can also teleport and do something akin to telekinesis which would look an awful lot like when Gandalf was beaten by Sauroman
    Who almost wet himself when Gandalf became the white.

Just to clarify, Gandalf would be immune to all mind effecting spells because he doesn't have a mortal mind. His very being is sustained by the spirit of Illuvatar. That Secret Fire makes Gandalf impervious to virtually anything. Did you know the Ringwraiths are all sorcerers? Sorcerers that can cast much more fearsome and evil spells than Dumbledore. They have a spell called the black breath which attacks your mind and your soul. It causes overwhelming fear, and weakens you to attacks from the spirit realm. It's a spell that gets stronger each time you're exposed to it, and ordinary mortals won't survive being hit with it more than once without magical healing.

Gandalf is immune to the black breath. The Ringwraiths fear him because he is virtually impossible to hurt and there's no way they can counter him. As Gandalf the Grey, 5 wraiths, (I think it was 5, may have been 4) attacked him at night, when their magic is most powerful, and Gandalf forced them to retreat.
    This.

The Nazgûl swoop in on the Pelennor (Minas Tirith battle), everyone except Gandalf shits their pants (the Orc army would have slaughtered the humans without any resistance) who then almost burns them to a crisp.

Although the movies make it look like Gandalf is just some guy with a really blinding light.

Gandalf is the equivalent of an angel in Middle Earth, pretty sure that counts for BAMF. =P

The telekinesis battle only happened in the movies, just saying.

Okay, I will break things down into three categories. Offense, defense, and utility.

Offense: The most powerful spell in Harry Potter is Avada Kedavra. It is a ray type spell, (in other words it's single target and can be dodged) it causes instant death upon hitting the target. Dumbledore has also been shown to be able to call down a giant firestorm and direct it with his wand. Dumbledore can also use Expecto Patronum, a spell that appears to be holy, or at least good type energy as it's fueled by positive thoughts and is most effective when used against undead, such as Dementors. This spell has been shown to be area of effect.

Gandalf has been shown to fight in many different ways. Gandalf wields a magic sword called Glamdring The Foe Hammer. It cuts things really good, that's all you need to know about it. Gandalf can shoot blasts of lightning at his target, which will easily kill standard humanoids and most lesser monsters such as orcs and giant spiders. Gandalf can also call on the Secret Fire at will. The Secret Fire is the soul of Illuvatar. Illuvatar is a god that created the world and everything in it. Without his spirit all life would immediately cease to exist forever. Gandalf is basically a demi god, and he can bend the Secret Fire to his will. Any feat that is lesser than creating the world and sustaining all life can be done easily with the Secret Fire. This is virtually limitless. Gandalf could materialize 10 million Dumbledores and command them all to do his bidding. He could also take the Secret Fire back from anyone that he pleases, making them cease to exist, even as a spirit. Gandalf can use the Secret Fire to bend all laws of reality to his will. If Gandalf wants to make gravity kill everyone but him instantly he can. He can also control matter, so he could make anyone have a heart attack, or make their brain not exist. He can also release a raw blast of the Secret Fire using a spell called the Flame of Anor. A raw blast of the spirit of god would obliterate any mortal. The only things in lotr that are immune to it are the Balrog, he is immune to magic, and the One Ring. The One Ring is immune because it contains all the power of Melkor, a fallen Valar and archenemy of Illuvatar. He is the lotr equivalent of the devil. Gandalf is also physically strong and quick. As Gandalf the Grey he beat the Balrog with nothing but his sword, as Gandalf the White he is significantly stronger.

Defense: Dumbledore is as frail as a normal human. If you rip out his heart or shoot him in the head he will die. Dumbledore has potent magical defenses that allow him to ward off most magical attacks.

Gandalf is immortal, and possesses inhuman stamina and durability. Gandalf dueled a demon lord with brute strength alone, a demon lord easily capable of slaughtering entire armies. Gandalf is immortal. Even if Gandalf's body were destroyed he could instantly make a new one for himself. Gandalf can heal himself, making any and all wounds disappear. Gandalf can will something to not hurt him, and it won't. Gandalf is shown to be highly resistant to dark magic, the only force not created by the Secret Fire. Gandalf can will anything that was made with the Secret Fire, (which is everything not created by Melkor) to vanish, this includes a sword going for his heart, a spell coming at his face, or the brain of the enemy trying to kill him.

Utility: Way too much crap to list for Dumbledore, I don't have five more hours to type this up. So let's just say, a lot.

Gandalf has all of Dumbledore's utility plus an infinite amount more. The Secret Fire allows Gandalf to know all, see all, and do all. If Gandalf wants to make himself a computer that plays wow he can. The Secret Fire lets him see the future, Gandalf can create anything he can think of.

As I have said before, Gandalf's only weakness is that using magic, including drawing on the Secret Fire physically weakens him. Doing something like making an army of Dumbledores would tax him significantly, but he could do it. May have to take a nap afterwards, but it's totally possible.

Look, I understand this all must sound very ridiculous, but it's the truth. I swear I'm not making this stuff up. Gandalf can call on the power of a god at any time. And I don't mean a god like from god of war, or D&D, or wow. It's more like the Christian god, (please do not bring religion in to this, I am simply making a point, and stating a factual comparison made by the author. Do not turn this into a debate about religion please please please) with Secret Fire being the holy spirit. These are not my words, but Tolkien's. This poll is literally comparing a human wizard with a semi-omnipotent god being that is older than the world itself.

Well... for one Gandalf would need to find Dumbledore first... Dumbledore can freaking teleport where he shouldnt be able to do so.
    If you had read the Hobbit you would know that Gandalf can also Disappear and Reappear places as he wants to.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerath View Post
    Hah! As if
    Don't get me wrong, I like the Harry Potter books and love Dumbledore as a character, but he just pales in comparison to the epicness that is Gandalf.
    Ditto

Once again... in the world of the Hobbit and LOTR wizards are not humans who can do magic, but an entirely different race of people. He is not mortal the way Dumbledore is.

Quote Originally Posted by Eightace View Post
    Who almost wet himself when Gandalf became the white.
    Man... I was soo pissed off when he died, i felt vaguely betrayed because I had adored him so much in the Hobbit and now he just feel down a chasm with the Balrog and he was gone... was awful. Also I thought Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas were totally screwed when he reappeared because I completely believed it was Saruman. Tolkien totally fooled my 14 year old self with that one lol

Are you seriously comparing both? Damn man...

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eightace View Post
    Dumbledore was gay? That was never in the books, i would have remembered. Ian McKellen who played Gandalf was gay.
    It is hinted at strongly in the final book, the German guy and Dumbledorf had a thing until WW2. JK also said it was so.

---------- Post added 2011-09-02 at 01:18 PM ----------

All true
    However Dumbldorf was a better Rapper.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    Pfft, Gandalf is the One Rapper to Rule Them All

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    It is hinted at strongly in the final book, the German guy and Dumbledorf had a thing until WW2. JK also said it was so.

---------- Post added 2011-09-02 at 01:18 PM ----------

Well, uh, but what if!... Okay, you got me there. I was going to say that Gandalf could use the Secret Fire to look at modern times and instantly absorb the knowledge of how to rap better than Dumbledore. However, I would like to think that rap music will never be created in middle earth, no matter how much time passes between the third age and Morgoth breaking the door of night to start the final battle. So Gandalf would never be able to learn it.

So you win there.
    Last edited by OrcsRLame; 2011-09-02 at 10:10 PM.