Deleted

My dog don't like people with beard

My dog went nuts some months ago!
    Really!

He barely barks and have never done it that much. Only when people rang the doorbell, he would bark one time or two.
    But he is getting old, and then this wierd thing started.

Whenever he sees a man with a beard, he just goes nuts and barks untill he's gone. If the same man walked past him 10 minutes after with no beard, he would do nothing.

Is that a common thing for 6 year old lab's to do?

Well, I must admit, that I had myself some nice laughs after he started on that

Random but my mate had a youngish staffy x dog that didn't play too often but when I use to have a beard it'd jump and and insist to bite it playfully.

Dogs are pretty much random in behaviour after owning 8 over my life time.

we got a lab that hates straw hats to the point that he'll actually bite people who wears one, play fetch with that same person if they don't

what's funny is when a dog hates black or white people (they just look different, doubt the dog is a racist), the owners always feel like it reflects on them lol

15+ Year Old Account
    My dog is scared of balloons Guessing one prolly blew up in his face.

ontopic: was your dog molested by a bearded guy ^^?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kosuko View Post
    ontopic: was your dog molested by a bearded guy ^^?
    Lmao.

Don't get a beard or your dog might bite you :x

I've had 5 dogs in my life time. My dalmatian would rarely bark, but he was a jumper. One of my two wiener dogs would just sleep all day, rarely ever barked. The other wiener dog likes to roll on her back and have her belly rubbed, she also freaks out whenever I shave and tries to lick my face all day, not sure if it's the smell/taste of the gel, or the actual shaving that she likes. Our half border collie, half german shepherd barks at loud sounds and is also a jumper. Dogs' behaviors are completely random.

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    He ought to for good reason. People with beards consort with the devil.

OT: Maybe he had a previous owner who abused him and happened to have a beard? Maybe he's never seen one before?

Deleted
    Reminds me of an episode of Curb your enthusiasm with the racist dog, went barking mad when blacks walked past it.

Quote Originally Posted by Army of Darkness View Post
    He ought to for good reason. People with beards consort with the devil.
    Only when their hair color and beard color is different. Then they are evil.

Knew a dog that hated people with long hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Baenesur View Post
    My dog went nuts some months ago!
    Really!

He barely barks and have never done it that much. Only when people rang the doorbell, he would bark one time or two.
    But he is getting old, and then this wierd thing started.

Whenever he sees a man with a beard, he just goes nuts and barks untill he's gone. If the same man walked past him 10 minutes after with no beard, he would do nothing.

Is that a common thing for 6 year old lab's to do?

Well, I must admit, that I had myself some nice laughs after he started on that
    6 years isnt old for a dog....
    So unless he has early doggy Alzheimer's disease...i doubt he is senile.

Ha! My dog hates beards as well. My husband and I are best friends with a pair of brothers one has a beard one doesn't... she goes insane over the one with the beard. She's an 8 year old German Shepherd for what its worth
    - well behaved women rarely make history

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by morbidjbyrd View Post
    6 years isnt old for a dog.....
    But he is getting elder - Misstype

Deleted
    One of my 2 dogs hates firemen / cyclists. (Anyone in a uniform or hiding their face) my other dog is scared of black people. Explain that.

TL;DR : Dogs are nuts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Army of Darkness View Post
    OT: Maybe he had a previous owner who abused him and happened to have a beard? Maybe he's never seen one before?
    Had him since he was allowed to leave his mom (8 weeks?). And as I don't happend to be the proud wearer of a beard nor did I abuse him, I am still wondering why he suddenly started doing this.

One day he was laying outside my frontdoor and I sad there by his side smoking a cigarette, when a man with a beard walked past us on. As he got in my dog's LoS he jumped up, started barking like hell, while I didn't know wtf to do

Deleted
    6 years isn't old for a lab.
    They normally become twice that age.

How about having some beared friends come and give him candy or something, so he can associate beared people with something positive?

My dog is mostly silent. He's noisier in his sleep than when he's awake. Someone rings the doorbell he might mumble a little, but generally just goes alert and wants to get in the door to see who's there.

My dog barks at black people. Technically so far, black men and boys. He's been alright with a few, though - the ones who aren't afraid of him. He knew and was friendly enough with one boy, but over time the boy became wary of him (boy's father is scared of dogs) and my dog wound up starting to growl at him so...

My dog's a White Shepherd, mainly. He didn't have any exposure to black people until a few years ago, so it's an unfamiliar creature to him I suppose. I also assume he's got bad eyesight. He once growled at his own toy as a puppy in a dimly lit room (he'd never ever growled at ANYthing prior to that, and he's never done that since).

Beards though, eh? Interesting. Clearly bearded men have something to hide!

Quote Originally Posted by Juubo View Post
    6 years isn't old for a lab.
    They normally become twice that age++.

How about having some beared friends come and give him a good ol fashion, so he can associate beared people with something positive?
    fixed.....lol

One of my German Shepherds is terrified of vibrating phones, no joke. He's also afraid of hoses, but LOVES the water. My other shepherd loves my fiance to death, but he won't go near him at all. And has this weird squeaky bark he does everytime he's around. But he wags his tail, and has his happy face on. Like he wants to be petted, and on occasion (getting pretty common now), loves to be petted by him.

On the same note, they aren't afraid of people at all, and are extremely protective of us both. Except my older one (the one 'afraid' of my fiance) HATES men taller then 6ft. I got him from my parents, so I'm wondering if my dad traumatized him at all My 10 month old dog has no reason to be afraid of anything at all, we've had him since he was a puppy. I can understand my 3 year old dog's reasons, but the puppy. No idea :P He's always been a bit odd.

10+ Year Old Account
    The dog just doesnt recognize him as a normal human. One time I walked into my backyard wearing a scuba diving mask and my dogs starting barking and growling like hell, but as soon as I took off the mask they realized it was me. I guess you could try growing a beard yourself and allow the dog to get used to it.

edit: or go buy some cheap santa beard and take it off and on in front of him.
    Last edited by Collegeguy; 2011-09-04 at 02:22 AM.