Quote Originally Posted by leetsushi View Post
    I must say, for a person that wasn't very interested in gw2 before, I watched some vids and I am seriously pumped for it right now.
    I recommend this video series, it shows the devs talking over footage from the demos. It focuses on one aspect of the game in each video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlSBrLoOESU

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Does anyone know if GW2 will be region locked or not? I mean will players from Europe, North America, Asia etc be locked into servers only from those regions and be unable to play on servers in other regions? I'd really hope not, especially considering the community-driven spirit the developers seem to have, and since SWTOR isn't going to be locked either. But aside from one inconclusive designers interview answer from May this year, all I can find is speculation from fans. Does anyone know of more solid evidence either way?

I can't post links, but the interview was IncGamers' Guild Wars Interview Part 1.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am gonna merge my human mage from WoW to GW2? But as a Elementilist this time basically the same thing isnt it? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I am gonna merge my human mage from WoW to GW2? But as a Elementilist this time basically the same thing isnt it? :P
    Yes, it's exactly the same thing.

Well it's a caster that uses fire as one of the attunements. That is fairly similar to a WoW mage. Other than that though the skills aren't very similar. There might be some water skills that have similar effects that a frost mage has but I'm not sure. There is nothing in a WoW mage's arsenal that is similar to the Earth and Air attunements though. So really the similarity is very superficial.

Elementalist, I feel, is more closely related to a cross-breeding of WoW's Shaman and Mage, with just a dash of Warlock; and I feel that WoW's Mage is a cross-breeding of GW's Elementalist and Mesmer.

That said, nothing in Guild Wars 2 (or Guild Wars, for that matter) play like anything from WoW.
    I am Grôgnárd, the one and only!
    The Light and How to Swing It

SWTOR Referral Link - get free stuff!

I know I'm late to the party but can anyone take a guess as to what settings i'll be able to play GW2 at? Just so I know what parts need updating or whether it's worth me building a whole new system.

Processor: AMD Athlon II Quad-Core 640 Processor ~3Ghz
    Memory: 4GB
    GPU: ATI Radeon 5870 HD
    Monitor: 1920 x 1080 (32bit) (60Hz)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldred View Post
    Does anyone know if GW2 will be region locked or not? I mean will players from Europe, North America, Asia etc be locked into servers only from those regions and be unable to play on servers in other regions? I'd really hope not, especially considering the community-driven spirit the developers seem to have, and since SWTOR isn't going to be locked either. But aside from one inconclusive designers interview answer from May this year, all I can find is speculation from fans. Does anyone know of more solid evidence either way?

I can't post links, but the interview was IncGamers' Guild Wars Interview Part 1.
    Officially, it hasn't been decided yet.
    But the community is pushing pretty hard for no lock.

---------- Post added 2011-09-10 at 03:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by alms1407 View Post
    I know I'm late to the party but can anyone take a guess as to what settings i'll be able to play GW2 at? Just so I know what parts need updating or whether it's worth me building a whole new system.

Processor: AMD Athlon II Quad-Core 640 Processor ~3Ghz
    Memory: 4GB
    GPU: ATI Radeon 5870 HD
    Monitor: 1920 x 1080 (32bit) (60Hz)
    You'll be fine.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Officially, it hasn't been decided yet.
    But the community is pushing pretty hard for no lock.
    Thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldred View Post

while GW1 has international districts, it can hardly be implemented the same way in GW2 but i too hope they find a way to make it work.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sacrypheyes View Post
    while GW1 has international districts, it can hardly be implemented the same way in GW2 but i too hope they find a way to make it work.
    GW1 was also sort of regional locked in its early days and just had international district where you could meet players from other regions. You used to be able to change your region limited number of times (dont know how many as i never did it myself, but remember ppl saying it had limit of like 5 uses). Later developers just decided to remove whole region lock and now you can go to any other region freely, hopefully it's one of these lessons they learned from GW1 and wont have any limitations which region you can play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grognard View Post
    That said, nothing in Guild Wars 2 (or Guild Wars, for that matter) play like anything from WoW.
    ^ Exactly this. I know it's completely normal to compare WoW vs GW, because they are both MMORPGs, but we should do like ArenaNet devs and don't try to compare it to WoW, Guild Wars 2 is a a new game bringing new things, it's not WoW anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Korao View Post
    ^ Exactly this. I know it's completely normal to compare WoW vs GW, because they are both MMORPGs, but we should do like ArenaNet devs and don't try to compare it to WoW, Guild Wars 2 is a a new game bringing new things, it's not WoW anymore.
    I'm glad ArenaNet didn't deliberately advertise against WoW.

"We're not in Azeroth anymore". Derp. When I first saw that, it made me want to puke.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrowmore View Post
    I'm glad ArenaNet didn't deliberately advertise against WoW.

"We're not in Azeroth anymore". Derp. When I first saw that, it made me want to puke.
    I agree, I was pretty shocked when I saw that, sort of like "Giiiiirl, oh no you didn't!"

Quote Originally Posted by leipuri View Post
    GW1 was also sort of regional locked in its early days and just had international district where you could meet players from other regions. You used to be able to change your region limited number of times (dont know how many as i never did it myself, but remember ppl saying it had limit of like 5 uses). Later developers just decided to remove whole region lock and now you can go to any other region freely, hopefully it's one of these lessons they learned from GW1 and wont have any limitations which region you can play.
    How will that work though? There going to be an in game system that will translate chinese to english whenever someone in china types to me?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phishy714 View Post
    How will that work though? There going to be an in game system that will translate chinese to english whenever someone in china types to me?
    The system he is talking about isn't in Guild Wars 2, it was the one used in the first game. And no, it didn't translate what people was saying. But district was like "America"(Mainly English), International, Europe - English, Europe - French, Europe - Spanish, etc.. So if you go in Europe - Spanish, don't expect to speak in english and get an answer, because the ones in the district will be mainly speaking Spanish. (Same thing goes for French and English) So if an European French went in the American district, he will normally speak in english or just say "LFG X"(Avoiding showing he can't talk English).

Anyway, we still don't know what will happen with Guild Wars 2 for the regions(We don,t even know if they will be locked or not).

Edit: Well, we can even compare this to me. I come here often and I want to talk with the community(An English one), but I'm french, so I write in English when I'm here... but if I go in a french community I'll speak French, so that's the same, but switching district.(Kinda like switching community) Because well... coming here and write in French would be kinda weird :P
    Last edited by Korao; 2011-09-09 at 07:10 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phishy714 View Post
    There will be servers that are located in different regions so players can enjoy low ping, but you wouldn't be locked into one. Only thing removing region lock gives to you is freedom to go play in any region, it's up to you to be able to understand players in that region.

Do you guys think ill be able to run this on at least high settings with no hiccups in the frame rates?

This is what i have now: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...324&CatId=4938

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by leipuri View Post
    There will be servers that are located in different regions so players can enjoy low ping, but you wouldn't be locked into one. Only thing removing region lock gives to you is freedom to go play in any region, it's up to you to be able to understand players in that region.
    Has this been officially confirmed? I hope so...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalla View Post
    I agree, I was pretty shocked when I saw that, sort of like "Giiiiirl, oh no you didn't!"
    just wow...hahaha. nothing funnier than hearing a non-black person saying this (i think it's because they try too hard O.o).
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist