Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhoodexe View Post
    There's always OS X if you don't like windows 8...
    Should not compare apple os to a real os

Also: you can swap out explorer.exe for an alternative... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_shell_replacement

This is the equivalent of server hardware. If you don't need Windows 8, don't buy it. Windows 8 likely doesn't cater to you at all, and why should every Window iteration do so?

Vista flopped since it rather lacked any form of niche at all; could probably have made for decent server, but horrid networking interface changes really wrecked that notion. Windows 8 is targeting cross-platform users.

10+ Year Old Account
    posting from windows 8, was very surprised, its the same, but very different, so far i like it, even iexplorer is cool

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    posting from windows 8, was very surprised, its the same, but very different, so far i like it, even iexplorer is cool
    Que? /10char

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhoodexe View Post
    There's always OS X if you don't like windows 8...
    ahh the fight never ends ^^

I'm positive about Win8, but I won't try it for a few months yet.

I don't understand a lot of the criticism it's received though.
    And I'd also like win8 to be smaller than win7 in the sheer size of the OS. It makes XP look slim.
    Quote Originally Posted by I stand in fire View Post
    There is so much about Windows 8 that really irks me. Like in many ways it's ripping off apple, it's pretty much giving desktop and laptop users the bird with it's UI that's built for tablets and phones. If I wanted my computer to look and work like a tablet, I'll buy a fucking tablet.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ws-windows-8/1
    Yea. Because Apple was first with everything, and everything they use is new and innovative.

While side-tracked, keep in mind. Every company rips others off. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW0DUg63lqU <-- That's when apple was the underdog. Now retracted when they're industry-leading of course.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2011-09-14 at 07:51 AM.
    &nbsp;

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Que? /10char
    well i'd post a SS, but i cant seem to find paint

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Que? /10char
    There is a developer version of W8 available for download.

Deleted
    Why are so many people thinking of W8 being optimized for tablets? Just because the UI can be used on both, doesn´t mean, that the whole OS will be optimized for one special device. Also, with a little bit of work, you can make W8 to be visually just like W7 or XP, or whatever you like. And finally, no one will force anyone to buy this new OS once it´s released.

Parts of it are optimized for tablets. The thing that annoys me about that is the start menu being gone with no way to get it back. I don't want to wait to switch to the new start tiles thing and then start whatever program I need. I guess I will have to start using my desktop now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    Parts of it are optimized for tablets. The thing that annoys me about that is the start menu being gone with no way to get it back. I don't want to wait to switch to the new start tiles thing and then start whatever program I need. I guess I will have to start using my desktop now.
    whats annoying me is that as far as i can tell, there is no way to actually close apps beside pulling up task manager, it is the development version, but it seems they stopped halfway through development and changed directions from desktop to tablet, the traditional desktop UI is absolutely amazing, it blows 7 out of the water, the tablet style start menu though is annoying at best, and doesn't always work well with java based apps, my "hello world" has been crashing for about an hour now,

one thing i do like is the native multi monitor support

Quote Originally Posted by Phlegethon View Post
    This statement is so stupid that I don't even know where to begin... anyway, you can start calling Windows a real OS when it finally implements a useable standard memory allocator, fully transparent mix of 32 and 64-bit software (without the need of intermediate 32-bit system emulation) or the ability to mount CD images without the third-party software (I am not even talking about OS-level support of PDF)

On topic: it is good that MS actually starts to rethink the old crappy UI design they had for years. Its funny that even modern versions of windows heavily rely on usability horrors which are modal dialogues, nested menus and the like. They did introduce some improvements with Vista, although the settings menu feels unnecessarily complicated to me. I liked the Office ribbon UI, it was convenient and intuitive. It seems that Windows 8 will further push innovation, which is a good thing for MS, because they have been lacking any real innovation for years. What I have seen of Windows 8 till now did not really convince me, the whole thing feels somehow awkward and unrefined. Still, MS has resources, if they can get some good software designers, maybe they will be able to deliver a good consumer OS. Their server software has always been very good actually.
    Last edited by mafao; 2011-09-14 at 12:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I stand in fire View Post
    ever since Microsoft sold their souls to the apple devil....

No really, to me it says to me that Microsoft doesn't care about the millions of desktop users out there anymore. Right now they are too concerned about the tablet market (to me are just toys for rich kids), they are right to do that of course, but they left their core users out in the cold in the process.
    W8 is mainly designed for portable devices and touchpads not Desktops. There will be the old typical UI you can use if you wish so. Oh and don't you know the trend of Microsoft: good, bad, good, bad, good, bad ... you get the drift ....

---------- Post added 2011-09-14 at 01:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    it is good that MS actually starts to rethink the old crappy UI design they had for years. Its funny that even modern versions of windows heavily rely on usability horrors which are modal dialogues, nested menus and the like. They did introduce some improvements with Vista, although the settings menu feels unnecessarily complicated to me. I liked the Office ribbon UI, it was convenient and intuitive. It seems that Windows 8 will further push innovation, which is a good thing for MS, because they have been lacking any real innovation for years. What I have seen of Windows 8 till now did not really convince me, the whole thing feels somehow awkward and unrefined. Still, MS has resources, if they can get some good software designers, maybe they will be able to deliver a good consumer OS. Their server software has always been very good actually.
    Windows UI is just fine, not easy to use for newbies but it isn't hard. Only thing OSX those well is the UI but nothing you can't do on Windows OS with few addons. Its like vBulletin and phpBB.
    -K

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousJesus View Post
    Windows UI is just fine, not easy to use for newbies but it isn't hard. Only thing OSX those well is the UI but nothing you can't do on Windows OS with few addons. Its like vBulletin and phpBB.
    No its not fine. It relies on outdated elements while there are alternatives which are more convenient and productive for the user. Of course it works, and its useable. But it could be so much better: see for instance the Gnome desktop or OS X in comparison. I could let my granny on one of these systems and she will be able to find where to configure the network after few minutes. Everything is exactly where you expect it, you don't have to navigate complex menus or read hundreds of options to find the correct one. With Windows (I use Windows only for gaming nowadays), I am often at loss how to set up certain things, and I have been working with computers from the age I could walk.

10+ Year Old Account
    i have it installed and the "desktop app" IS windows 7 desktop with a few mods to it. and as it was stated before i DL'd it, this is PRE beta. so theres gonna be a ton of stuff to change between now and release.

and, as others have said, no one is holding a gun to ur head forcing u to DL it. raging about something thats still in a pre-beta state is just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlegethon View Post
    The only real difference between OS X and Win these days is aesthetic. There are some features Win still lags behind on (native virtual desktop support, anyone?) and OpenGL is still a piece of shit, but overall they're quite similar. I mostly just use OS X because XP/Vista scared me away from using Windows Search.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Exera View Post
    Having options within an OS is awesome aint it?
    NO! OPTIONS ARE BAAAAD.

/stevejobs

No its not fine. It relies on outdated elements while there are alternatives which are more convenient and productive for the user. Of course it works, and its useable. But it could be so much better: see for instance the Gnome desktop or OS X in comparison. I could let my granny on one of these systems and she will be able to find where to configure the network after few minutes. Everything is exactly where you expect it, you don't have to navigate complex menus or read hundreds of options to find the correct one. With Windows (I use Windows only for gaming nowadays), I am often at loss how to set up certain things, and I have been working with computers from the age I could walk.
    As long as they can do it in a way that *doesn't* make me feel like I'm using a 3-year old's toy, I'll be happy.

(Hint: The newest version of internet explorer irritates the hell out of me because I hate the huge "friendly" icons, and I don't like chrome because it's too minimalistic. I'm not averse to innovation, and simpler is often better, but if starts to feel like it's a ported version of a tablet system or it starts to feel like it was designed for a chimpanzee, I'm not going to use it as long as possible.)

That's your own opinion, you know... I never had any trouble finding what I want in Windows. Start -> type in whatever you're searching for -> open program. There are no 100 menu's you need to go through.
    I have never used OS X. At first I will have a hard time navigating through that OS, but just like we all fall off our bikes when we start learning it gets easier over time.

Deleted
    Gotta love people raging over things that have not even been discussed yet regarding Windows 8...

Have a little faith in old Bill!