so i watched tht thief Vid TB made and it was awesome thiefs look soo freaken cool , couldnt help but notice when he had his pistols he was doing avg 600 dmg hits with very fast attacks and when he got his staby staby wpn set he was doing 2k and an occasional 4k .. got me wondering so i went back to see tht elementalist PVP at gamscon (with the Anet player) and the guy is BARELY doing any dmg .. is it just me ? hes doing some 150s and 300s, 1k with a thunder strike thingy and the highest was a 2-3k with his Elite cyclone ..

so is the ele realy tht weak ? coz i like how tht prof look like and i would love to play it but tht vid is not encouraging

gotta take into account all the cool spell animations hes actualy doing which will still keep my 1st decision of an ele just will feel sad if its tht weak

Oh english is not my 1st lang so plz ignore typos,commas,punct :P
    Last edited by bladebeso; 2011-09-26 at 02:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think anything can be judged regarding balance or damage output from those videos....for all you know the elementalist could be clueless on how to effectively play his/her class, the learning curve regarding weapon/ability swaps looks pretty steep.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

well i just assumed the guy from Anet knows the stuff

maybe he wasnt using the wpns for damage, instead he was going for CC/ aoing stuff ? Gief beta allrdy so we can experince tht !!

any way atuunment swapping looks great and will require alot to master it , and when one does he will kick ass :P

gotta sleep now its 5 am here /out

10+ Year Old Account
    Being able to get all the information I need out of the UI can make or break the game for me (especially in PvP), and I can't find anything on the first page regarding how much the UI can be customized.
    Is it safe to assume that nothing is known yet about addons/mods in GW2?

Quote Originally Posted by Nitsuj View Post
    Very nice, been thinking about rolling thief since the beginning. Not going to be norn though, they look like they're running in slow motion.
    they run in slow motion.. but tho they look slow.. they're the same pace as a human their steps are around 3 steps to a human running

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimusmc View Post
    they run in slow motion.. but tho they look slow.. they're the same pace as a human their steps are around 3 steps to a human running
    Reminds me of a WoW rogue sprinting in stealth, looks funny.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Being able to get all the information I need out of the UI can make or break the game for me (especially in PvP), and I can't find anything on the first page regarding how much the UI can be customized.
    There probably wont be a whole lot of addon support for GW2, however the UI will be completely customizable just like the first.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

The original did not really have any add-on support. There were a few, most notably some that helped with the cartographer title. Anet took the stance that they were not going to actively discourage the practice but if players broke anything on their install they were on their own to fix it and the devs were not going to waste resources making it easier for moders to mod the game. On the other hand GW1 was an industry leader in how customizable the UI was out of the box. Every element could be moved, resized and anchored individually. I would expect GW2 would at least have that much customization.

However they have said several times they want players playing the game not the UI. They want to make sure critical information is avalible at a glance but you should be able to get most of not all the information you need by looking at whats going on around you not by focusing on UI bars. This along with experience with the past game leads me to believe there will be little to no support for 3rd party addons if they dont actively discourage it. Not sure how many mods we'd really need. Healing mods would be worthless as would most unit frames mods as we dont have the massive raid groups to moniter. the scope and randomness of the encounters does not lend itself well to boss mods and it appears they do a good job of leting you know what needs to happen. I doubt they want the comunity destroying epeen contest that damage meters foster. All that would be left is crafting/tradeing based addons, while I'd miss auctioneer in wow I could live without it and probably wont notice the lack of osmething similar in GW2.

Who is John Galt?

10+ Year Old Account
    Great post Merendel, thanks for that! I agree with the notion that if the developers have done their job right, you shouldn't need UI mods at all. But I can't help feel the need for addons in MMO's, especially when it comes to the competitive PvP scene (one of the main reasons I'm getting GW2).
    Tracking enemy abilties, buffs and cooldowns are essential to playing skillfully and sadly no in-built UI is going to tip you off on stuff like that :P

I'm okay without addons. I only use a handful in World of Warcraft and not having them in other games never bothered me. I guess the only thing I might miss is AtlasLoot Enhanced but that's because I enjoy spending my time mixing & matching pieces to create fun/interesting armor to use when I role-play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tracking enemy abilties, buffs and cooldowns are essential to playing skillfully and sadly no in-built UI is going to tip you off on stuff like that :P
    I see addons like those as more of a crutch. Skillful gameplay is more about being able to react to situations and anticipate your opponents rather than knowing exactly what buffs they've had and cooldowns they've used.

You know how Duke from G.I. Joe's would say "Knowing is half the battle,"? Well in reality its like 90% of the battle. 7% Having the proper equipment and 3% actual combat. It's no fun if it fights itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    I see addons like those as more of a crutch. Skillful gameplay is more about being able to react to situations and anticipate your opponents rather than knowing exactly what buffs they've had and cooldowns they've used.

You know how Duke from G.I. Joe's would say "Knowing is half the battle,"? Well in reality its like 90% of the battle. 7% Having the proper equipment and 3% actual combat. It's no fun if it fights itself.
    I agree with this wholeheartedly. That's primarily why I don't use a whole lot of addons or UI "enhancers". Why take away what little challenge is actually present in the game?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Requimortem View Post
    I agree with this wholeheartedly. That's primarily why I don't use a whole lot of addons or UI "enhancers". Why take away what little challenge is actually present in the game?
    In WoW I could raid with just a boss mod and some raid bars. Other than that the background, the boss and the actual visual effects were completely unnecessary.

Here are some really good demo videos.

I can't wait much longer >.< This game is going to Fu&^%ing rule!

Just started Guild Wars GOTY and Eye of the North to keep me busy

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    In WoW I could raid with just a boss mod and some raid bars. Other than that the background, the boss and the actual visual effects were completely unnecessary.
    I think the only reason I like the various UIs (which I don't use because they get rather confusing at times) is because it's a nice change of pace from the bland default one we endure. Which reminds me and I know this isn't entirely on topic... does anyone know of any cool looking UIs I can use? Preferably something that still retains that "RPG" feeling. There were a couple I tested out like this really cool one where there a medium sized circle/orb and clicking on it would open various button layouts, you could have it randomize the mount you used and so on. In fact, if I could find that one again, I would be extremely happy. I think it had the word "moon" or "luna" in it but definitely something along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Neglesh View Post
    I can't wait much longer >.< This game is going to Fu&^%ing rule!

Just started Guild Wars GOTY and Eye of the North to keep me busy
    You and me both. I've been screwing around on the trial version since I can't quite afford the $50 to buy the game and expansions right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can anticipate things just fine, addons can't tell you what cooldown that Rogue is going to blow next - but addons CAN show me that the Rogue has roughly 1.6 seconds left on Cloak and I can start casting Polymorph so it lands right as Cloak ends. WoW is designed in a way where addons greatly enhance your experience and even the best of the best PvP/PvE'ers take advantage of them.

Ask any competitive Arena PvP'er who played without Arena Frames (i.e. Proximo/Gladius) before Blizzard implemented their own frames. Ask DoT-based classes to play without buff/debuff timers.
    Ask any competitive healer (or raider for that matter) who didn't use Raid Frame addons, as a healer you would be called retarded if you didn't have Grid or Healbot before Blizzard implemented their own frames. You want your "challenge"? Try that.

Running into constant frustrations and limitations with your own UI should never be part of the challenge.

Back on topic, I can only hope that GW2 picks up on an efficient UI where many games have fallen short.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-09-26 at 08:38 AM.

I can anticipate things just fine, addons can't tell you what cooldown that Rogue is going to blow next - but addons CAN show me that the Rogue has roughly 1.6 seconds left on Cloak and I can start casting Polymorph so it lands right as Cloak ends. WoW is designed in a way where addons greatly enhance your experience and even the best of the best PvP/PvE'ers take advantage of them.

Granted, if I was 2800 rated and unbeatable then I would most likely disable everything to make things a challenge for me. Hell I would start playing WoW with a joystick because I was so bored from my awesome skill.

But until I reach that level, I'm going to take all the help from my UI I can get. The game is designed in a way where addons are very helpful - they don't play the game for you (you make it sound that way), but they are extremely useful in PvP and PvE.

Ask any competitive Arena PvP'er who played without Arena Frames (e.g. Gladius) before Blizzard implemented their own frames. Ask any competetive healer (or raider for that matter) who didn't use Raid Frame addons, as a healer you would be called retarded if you didn't have Grid or Healbot. How's that for a "challenge"?

Back on topic, I can only hope that GW2 picks up on an efficient UI where many games have fallen short.
    I'm sorry but as Blznsmri said, those addons are just a crutch. There are plenty of other games where those aren't an option and players do just fine. The fact of the matter is, is that we've come to rely on them for everything but they're not necessary in the least bit. I'm not going to continue this though since I can already tell it's going to go downhill.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are plenty of other games where those aren't an option and players do just fine.
    You answered it yourself, players do "fine" because nobody has the option of addons. Everyone's on a level playing field i.e. everyone's done struggling with their UI and simply have to put up with it or fail at the game.

Meanwhile in WoW playing a healer without raid frames is also possible, people did it in vanilla before Healbot. It's just that you'll completely suck compared to a healer who DOES have raid frames (assuming both of you are equally skilled) because you had the option of addons and decided not to take it.

If ArenaNet gets it right first time, the need for addons shouldn't even arise - addons/mods should be disabled completely. It's in their best interests to keep the playing field equal.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-09-26 at 08:52 AM.

You answered it yourself, players do "fine" because nobody has the option of addons. Everyone's on a level playing field i.e. everyone's done struggling with their UI and simply have to put up with it or fail at the game.

Meanwhile in WoW playing a healer without raid frames is also possible, people did it in vanilla before Healbot. It's just that you'll completely suck compared to a healer who DOES have raid frames (assuming both of you are equally skilled) because you had the option of addons and decided not to take it.

If ArenaNet gets it right first time, the need for addons shouldn't even arise.
    I don't believe I ever asked a question.

No. I know plenty of healers who don't use addons that tell who to heal and with what yet keep the entire raid alive. Just because you're not that good without them doesn't mean everyone else is too.

The need for addons stems from people constantly wanting things to be handed to them instead of working for it, not from poor development choices (which I've yet to see, at least in World of Warcraft).