Thread: Build Help

Build Help

I'm about to start my 2nd build and i have a question about my GPU/PSU. I have a Sapphire 6870 1GB in my current and was wondering if it would benefit me to get a 2nd one. my brother has one in his and said he would sell it to me cheap for 100$. how big a PSU would i need to run Both?

Good quality 650W, but higher if you're going to buy that second hand too.

Also $100 for used Radeon 6870 is not cheap exactly unless it's very new card with plenty of manufacturer warranty left.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Also $100 for used Radeon 6870 is not cheap exactly unless it's very new card with plenty of manufacturer warranty left.
    I only partially agree with this statement. A 6870 goes for around ~$170, so if your brother is reliable and you know the card is good it's a decent deal.

As for the 6870 itself:
    It's power consumption at max load is around 140W, which means 280W if you have two of them (+/-10%). The full system power consumption will be around 430W, give or take, so make sure you have at least 450W headway on the 12V rail(s) on your PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    I only partially agree with this statement. A 6870 goes for around ~$170, so if your brother is reliable and you know the card is good it's a decent deal.
    Card you linked is $150 with rebate, and not the only one going that cheap in NewEgg.

1/3 off from used computer part is very small discount unless it's used only for few weeks. Sure it's cheaper than new in store, but you can get one cheaper from ebay or craigslist. One good thing about the deal is that you know how reliable the seller is.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Card you linked is $150 with rebate, and not the only one going that cheap in NewEgg.

1/3 off from used computer part is very small discount unless it's used only for few weeks. Sure it's cheaper than new in store, but you can get one cheaper from ebay or craigslist. One good thing about the deal is that you know how reliable the seller is.
    As is why I said "decent deal". It's not a very good price, but considering it's your brother you might have a bigger clue if the card is good or not. You also might know when the card was bought, how it has been used and so on - something not possible with eBay or Craigslist.

When it comes to hardware I myself never buy second hand, so I would recommend buying a new card. But it is your brother after all, so it seems a bit more reasonable. You can always try to haggle him down to $60-70 by showing him an eBay deal.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-09-26 at 08:58 AM.

well i showed my brother the ebay thing and i got him to go to 70 on the gpu the card is about 5 months old, now i just need a PSU for them i found http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151088. how would that work?

Quote Originally Posted by Jigga93 View Post
    well i showed my brother the ebay thing and i got him to go to 70 on the gpu the card is about 5 months old, now i just need a PSU for them i found http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151088. how would that work?
    That PSU will work for sure, and good price too on the card.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigga93 View Post
    Really good psu.. and yea $70 is a good price for the card used too (about half off).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.