Deleted

Laptop not receiving power from AC Adapter.

Hey all,

So like the title says, my laptop isn't receving any power from my adapter. It worked fine last night, and tonight when I've switched it on, it's got nothing.

I don't have another adapter to test weather it is just this one adapter or what, but it's not the plug socket as I've tested other things on it.

Laptop is a HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook.

Anyone got any clue on what the problem would be, or how to fix it?

The issue can either lie with the motherboard or the connection of the AC adapter port to the motherboard. It could have become loose or friend and melted. Contact HP and get a tech out there to replace it. If you're no longer under warranty, you're SOL unless you want to try replacing the parts yourself.

Edit: I used to do warranty repair for Dell, and whenever I got any calls that were about the AC power adapter, it was either one of those two problems. More often than not, I replaced the motherboard and all was well.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantii View Post
    The issue can either lie with the motherboard or the connection of the AC adapter port to the motherboard. It could have become loose or friend and melted. Contact HP and get a tech out there to replace it. If you're no longer under warranty, you're SOL unless you want to try replacing the parts yourself.

Edit: I used to do warranty repair for Dell, and whenever I got any calls that were about the AC power adapter, it was either one of those two problems. More often than not, I replaced the motherboard and all was well.
    Exactly this. I had that issue on a dell laptop I had, and also know 2-3 others who have had a similar problem with different brand laptops. Those charger ports are very poorly designed, imo.

Deleted
    I'm well over a year out of warrenty.

I tired opening up my laptop to see if it had melted etc, but I've got all the screws out, yet the bottom just does not want to come off. I don't want to force it too much, just incase.

Would buying a new AC adapter to try be worthwhile?

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    I'm well over a year out of warrenty.

I tired opening up my laptop to see if it had melted etc, but I've got all the screws out, yet the bottom just does not want to come off. I don't want to force it too much, just incase.

Would buying a new AC adapter to try be worthwhile?
    A new AC adapter might work if it's the adapter. Wouldn't hurt. But just in case...

Make sure you take the battery out and remove the screws below the battery. Also, remove the HDD and remove any screws under there as well as the optical drive, remove any screws under there. Keep track of where you're taking screws from and keep them together. Usually, they're labeled (B for back, P for Palm Rest, K for Keyboard, M for Motherboard, D for display).

You also cannot take the bottom off, you have to go in through the top, remove the palm rest and the display (i.e. LCD screen) then remove the keyboard and mouse, being EXTRA FREAKIN CAREFUL to not yank out the ribbon cables and carefully pop up the little latches that hold them in place (you will probably run into the same thing on the speaker piece, I did when I took apart my girlfriend's laptop). Do not force these ribbons, they're fragile as are the latches, so be very, very careful. When removing the palm rest (usually after you remove the keyboard), it will snap off and you'll probably need to use something to pry up certain spots, use something flat and plastic, or a flat-head screw driver if you're confident you won't fuck it up. If the keyboard seems difficult to get off, flip it back over and look for any screws on the bottom you may have missed and remove them ALL, keeping all the screws together in their respective groups - label them with cups if you have to.

After that, you'll be at the bottom with the motherboard, daughter board and heatsink.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for you killing your laptop by spelunking inside of it. Just sayin' >,>
    Last edited by Cantii; 2011-09-27 at 12:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've always had this issue with laptops. I can almost guarantee you that it's the tip of the charger that you connect to the laptop, I'm guessing the wire inside has gotten so much tention / stress that it's a bit broken. Specially if you use your laptop in bed / move it around a lot.

Getting a new charger might be an good idea, but it's pretty expensive. Univeral chargers are usually cheaper, but might not be the best thing for your laptop.
    Hi