10+ Year Old Account

Why are monsters spawning in my house!!?

So far today I had two zombies and a creeper(luckily killed him before it wrecked anything) spawn in my house. The doors are closed and it's well lit. I just don't get it.
    I'm just a fan of a brand new wiki: pcgamingwiki.com
    A one stop place to help you get your favorite PCGames not only running on your machine, fix issues you might have, find the latest patches from the developers or fans, and more.
    It's a brand new site, so help out by contributing.

Screenshots?

Also were you trying to sleep? I remember that sometimes if you go to sleep in a bed and it isn't placed right, a mob'll spawn over you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    Screenshots?

Also were you trying to sleep? I remember that sometimes if you go to sleep in a bed and it isn't placed right, a mob'll spawn over you.
    i was sleeping, except for the creeper though.
    A one stop place to help you get your favorite PCGames not only running on your machine, fix issues you might have, find the latest patches from the developers or fans, and more.

Give us screenshots of your house! It's way easier to find out the problem visually.

10+ Year Old Account
    okay, give me a second I'll get some screen shots.

---------- Post added 2011-09-27 at 11:22 PM ----------

I have it carved into a mountain.

B]Up stairs[/B]

You can see the glass floor looking into the creeper pen

Stairs

Foyer

basement

Here some screenshots of the creeper pen in this thread.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-a-pet-Creeper

Yeah, if you're sleeping on those beds you may be spawning mobs. Beds have to be away from walls for them to work right, IIRC.

Just in case, I'd do as the diagram says

Your double doors also could be a problem.

Waking up with a creeper standing over you must be intense :-p

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wozarib View Post
    Waking up with a creeper standing over you must be intense :-p
    Instant sweating :/

If you aren't adverse to mods, zombe's mod pack has a 'safemod' that will show you where lighting is insufficient and can cause spawning. It works for both monsters and animals.

In my experience it's down to placement of the bed, the diagram above shows excellently how to place it. (Your screenshots do show that the bed is not atleast 1 square away from an exterior wall).

Also double doors have caused issues in the past, as well as if you place the doors from the inside instead of placing them from the outside.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, have to keep the bed away from the walls. I'm been having another issue with spiders being able to get through what I can only assume is the glass.

I've had mobs spawn in well lit areas, without any beds at all. This only happens while I'm far away (like 150+ blocks, just close enough to have it in spawn range) and come back later. It's no fun to see a zombie and a creeper right within your chest room. This is happening on a multiplayer server, by the way. Just limited to me and 2 friends at the moment. No mods at all. So it's pretty safe to say that it's not done by a player.

The whole thing is surrounded by a ring of burning netherrack, so it's not like they can spawn right outside and glitch into the building without dying, or at least without severe damage. (at least it had better not be the case, took forever to get all that stuff in place)

Will make some screenshots later when I'm home. It's a big castle. ;o
    Last edited by Auralan; 2011-09-28 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynati View Post
    Yeah, have to keep the bed away from the walls. I'm been having another issue with spiders being able to get through what I can only assume is the glass.
    Do remember that spiders can climb vertical 2x2 surfaces.
    If you have some kind of hatch/roof access/balcony they can climb through that.

The best way to ensure spiders aren't scaling your walls is to have blocks jetting out every other block.

I would suggest everyone refers to the "Safe Home" article on the minecraft Wiki
    http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Tutorials/Safe_Home

one thing that bugs me is it seems if I have my bed in a fairly open room, completely surrounding it with glowstone making up the floor, there's no way monsters should spawn within two blocks of it right?

wrong.

I did find building 3 blocks up, 2 blocks over and then placing a bed on the hook-shaped overhang is 100% monster proof. just put a ladder up to it if you want to re-use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

After updating to 1.8 I've found hostile mobs spawning where they shouldn't be spawning (i.e. well-lit, enclosed areas) and didn't spawn before. I think it's a new bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenomech View Post
    After updating to 1.8 I've found hostile mobs spawning where they shouldn't be spawning (i.e. well-lit, enclosed areas) and didn't spawn before. I think it's a new bug.
    Noticed similar happening as well, quite annoying :E

15+ Year Old Account
    I thought certain areas were dedicated "spawn chunks" that monsters spawn from, which is why people hunt for Slime chunks to farm slimes. The bed placement explanation is good to though.

Deleted
    There's always some trouble with creepers spawning in my house, Mostly on the third floor... But that's someone else his floor :P