Page 1 of 32
... LastLast

If SW:TOR is successful...

It will make the industry pull its socks up like never before, I think for once Blizzard will go back to their roots and sink or swim out of their current complacency. But if it fails, I think there will be a huge depression in the market, investors will become extremely skeptical, developers all round will lose morale.

"If all that money just makes a flash in the pan, what are we supposed to do?"

Deleted
    Id be very surprised if this game is ''just a flash in the pan'' it has a brilliant developer in Bioware and Star Wars is one of the biggest ip's out there, that aside the vast majority of beta testers have also had very positive reviews of the game, I personally think Bioware will need to do some sort of epic fail in the future for this game to not be successful.

I cant wait for TOR to be released the mmo market will have some brilliant games with Blizzards new expansion likely to be soon announced and gw2 also coming out, the competition is going to be strong and all the games will have to stay busy to keep the subscribers up, it can only be a good thing for us customers!

Deleted
    losing subs dont have to mean better content. in wow's case its more content in a faster rate wich I would say is rly bad

I'm hoping that they go head to head for many years to come. Blizz hasn't had any real competition ever since Everquest and SWG dropped out of the picture. Viable competition between the two companies will make both products better.

Granted I see myself mainly playing SWTOR come Dec 20th, but I can see myself coming back to WOW for a month once in a while when some new content comes out.

Deleted
    I would be highly surprised if swtor isn't sucessful... as its been said, Bioware is an excellent developer, star wars is a household name, MMO's are becoming more common and mainstream.

The biggest competitor for almost any game at the moment is WoW, however remember, just because a game may not have more subs than WoW, does not mean it doesn't succeed.

Another thing to remember is WoW is constantly losing subscribers now, a lot of people feel very let down by blizzard and the god awful xpac that was Cataclysm. A lot of these players (including myself) are looking forward to swtor for throwing our £8.99 at as opposed to WoW

I'm honestly hoping that this game does succeed. But if it's going to follow in the footsteps of competitors before, developers will be trying "too hard" and ruin end game content for people and try to make everything to "WoW-like". And besides, I need something else to do besides sit in Orgrimmar all day..

Quote Originally Posted by Sighz View Post
    Competition is always good. I personally hope WoW doesn't die so BW has to work hard to keep subs, which means better content.
    I fully agree here as well. Bioware needs competition (if/hopefully when) it starts being the top dog

Remember one thing. A game does not need 10 million subs to be successful. Even if SWTOR can keep 1-2 million subs every months it would still be a great success and a solid base for BW to keep the game updated.

10+ Year Old Account
    there's only 1 good thing that could come from SW:TOR not succeeding, and that's the sub MMO market taking another huge hit, and MMO's going even more to f2p/freemium models, which I would love

No chance in hell SW:TOR won't succeed though
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Deleted
    Only thing is, I haven't seen any adverts or anything. May be too soon but still, back when Wrath was out there was tons of promotion for it on TV and stuff. But still, it's pretty likely TOR is going to do well.

Just.. can't.. wait for it! woo.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by creedster View Post
    Only thing is, I haven't seen any adverts or anything. May be too soon but still, back when Wrath was out there was tons of promotion for it on TV and stuff. But still, it's pretty likely TOR is going to do well.

You should turn off ABP on your browser then. TOR advertisements are freaking everywhere. It is by far the most popular ad I have seen online since the pre-order started. Now that there is a release date we will probably start seeing tv ads.

I would be surprised if SWTOR didn't turn a profit, I'm almost sure it will and they will. But SWTOR is WoW, every MMO (minus GW2) is pretty much a WoW clone with just different names for BG's, and instances.

The one thing SWTOR could do differently is to not allow for instant queues which destroys the MMO community. The WoW world used to be vibrant and people were everywhere, now everyone sits in cities and queues from there. If SWTOR has BG queues, dungeon queues then it already has started down the path to become like WoW.... which technically is a path to financial success lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by creedster View Post

TOR will sell itself with the StarWars name. WoW was not advertising on TV until TBC and even then, its only Holiday advertisements. TOR is going to be successful, anyone that thinks it wont is fooling themselves. Now whether it will be a destroyer of the competition, that remains to be seen.

Deleted
    I think they said couple years ago that SWTOR needs million subs(long term obv) to be "successfull" compared to the money they have spend.
    Looking at the massive production value of the game, 1 million isnt anything really. Wasnt pre-orders like 2-3 million too?

It's going to be fine for sure unless for some reason the "must have 1mil" has doubled or tripled which I doubt.

MMO's that are over one million subs: Aion - 6m(asian market), Runescape 1m, and lineage 1 and 2 with near 1million. Not accurate but it's going to be pretty easy to get that million looking at pre-orders and competition on top..

10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt we'll see any serious development put into WoW after Cataclysm's end. I think Blizzard has already given too many signs of being ready to move on to something new.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    When it is successful, we can only hope that other companies bring their A game all the time from here out. Competition is great for us.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

As I've quit wow just because of the sheer boredom after almost 7 years (I mean what do people expect, it's hard to stay with something that has the same basic premis/IP for 7 years). So excited for SWTOR. I could prolly see myself playing it for that long. If it's decent. As for wow, i only gave away 25% of my stuff just incase I come back.

I think it's already successful. 2+ million pre-orders from some videos and interviews? Rift had an open beta that got it most of it's beginning subs, and this many people are wanting to play SWTOR without even touching the game first-hand? That's success to me.

I know there are a lot of people that are in a frenzy over this "SWTOR will kill WoW!" and "GW2 will kill SWTOR and WoW!", but I choose to look at it as.. the better the new games that are coming out are, the better the games that we play will become. SWTOR won't want to have 2-3 million beginning subs and then lose them to GW2 or the next game coming out, so BioWare is going to work amazingly hard to keep the game top-notch. Blizzard won't want to keep losing people in a mass exodus to SWTOR and GW2, so they'll probably want to go back to the drawing board, figure out all the times that are pushing people away, and hopefully work to fix them.

I'm glad for GW2, where as a lot of people seem to have the "one or the other" mentality. After I've kicked major ass in SWTOR for long time, I'll be able to play it and keep both games due to GW2 not requiring a sub, when things start to lull in SWTOR.. say before a content patch, or an expansion.

For MMO gamers, whichever way you go, it's looking pretty good.
    There were around 7,000 Greeks in total at the Battle of Thermopylae.
    Not just the Spartans and a few inept imbeciles to play clean up.
    Friends don't let friends listen to Zach Snyder/

Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    Remember one thing. A game does not need 10 million subs to be successful. Even if SWTOR can keep 1-2 million subs every months it would still be a great success and a solid base for BW to keep the game updated.
    Exactly. Unfortunately there will be ToR haters who will constantly bash the game if it doesn't reach WoW numbers. People from the WoW camp will keep saying that it failed even if ToR becomes the 2nd or even 3rd most popular game in the MMO market, they will be and are stuck on the whole one MMO to rule them all mindset. The funny thing about this though is that they will keep this mindset even after repeated quarter losses on WoW's part.

I personally feel that ToR will have no problem what so ever with securing a place on the top 10 MMO list and being able to hold that for many years.

SWTOR needs about 500k subscribers to be profitable. It is going to be the largest mmo launch ever.. It already has 1.5 million people subscribed for general game testing and pre orders for the game has shattered all records for EA one of the best publishing companies out there. Analysts predict around 3-4 million subscribers after launch. It is based on one of the biggest ips out there, Star Wars. Star Wars alone is far far bigger then Warcraft or Blizzard for that matter. It has been in development for 6-7 years by Bioware, one of the best developers in the video game industry, the same company that created Knights of the Old Republic, argubly the best rpg of the decade and best xbox title for the first xbox generation. Bioware has also devloped numerous game of the year titles such as Mass Effect 1 & 2, Dragon Age Origins etc.

Yes, I think it will be very successfull. People need to keep in mind that 10 million subscibers is not a prerequsitie to success. 500k+ for this game is.