Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    I love your signature, that is the primary reason I am posting.

But yeah, there are no classes that would really be that close to WoW shaman. There's really no precedent in GW lore for it that I know of either. Norn as a race are "kind of" close, in that they have spirit animals which is somewhat shamanistic.
    I'd agree that Norn are the Shamanistic race. They can also shapeshift into animal forms, so that might appeal to those that play druids in WOW.

Overall though, it really depends what it is about the shaman that the OP likes and wants to reproduce. There is no class that has all the elements of the Shaman in it. As others have said:

1) If you like totems: Engineer
    2) If you like the four elements: Elementalist
    3) If you like nature and don't mind a pet: Ranger
    4) If you like magic+melee combined: Guardian

You can't have everything at once, so you'll have to pick what's most important to you.

Also, keep in mind that all classes have close and long range abilities. No class is forced to be ranged or forced to be melee.

The Shaman is sort of broken up between professions, but there isn't really a profession that entirely embodies the WoW shaman. However, there is one that stands out as the Shaman go-to profession.

The Elementalist loosely covers all of the Shaman specs, by way of the attunements and weapon choices. Obviously Air, Fire, and Earth are for Elemental lovers, and Water caters to the Resto crowd as best it can, given the fact that there is no true "healer". It is worth noting, though, that Water attunement is probably the most supportive of the four. If you're looking for the quick-attacking elemental melee, you can opt for two daggers and weave through the attunements and play at close/mid range and, again, attack quickly.

However, there is something to be said for the Guardian and the Engineer. Though they obviously miss the key elemental flavor that Shaman have, Engineers have turrets that can sort of act as totems, and Guardians are more heavy-armored and weave magic and melee. However, at the end of the day, I think it's clear that the Elementalist best embodies what we know as the Shaman, given the four elements and the options to use long range weapons (staff, scepter) or close range (daggers). The only drawback is that there really is no totem substitute with the Elementalist, so if totems are your favorite thing about the WoW shaman, I'd consider an Engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    Guardian isn't holy. They are powered by the fires of justice. If they swore allegiance to a god or some higher power, no Charr would ever be one. They are Lawbringers more than they are Crusaders.
    Paladins without the god, just the cause.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Paladins without the god, just the cause.
    To me that means more. Instead of blind zealots, their vision of justice is so strong it gives them the power to see it through. That is pimpin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    You won't find the WoW version of a class in GW2 profession. Considering, no profession in GW2 plays a certain when like a class does in WoW.

Although to give you a profession, I'd go with Guardian, it can melee (Enhance), it can do ranged damage (Ele). You won't find something that plays like a shaman here.

Best bet is to actually wait for open beta and try the professions that you like the look of.
    Just quoting this for truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Miggetmagic View Post
    I'm just curious, do you have a Shaman? If not, why do you think Elementalist embodies the Shaman. If you have a Shaman, same question.
    I quit WoW in March, but I did have a Shaman as my primary alt throughout Wrath of the Lich King.

Do note that I did say in my opening sentences that there was no profession that entirely embodied the Shaman; I did say that the Elementalist best (given the alternatives) embodies it. So, to answer your question: I don't think the Elementalist is a stand-in for the Shaman. I did, however, say that it takes some inspiration from the Shaman and if the OP was looking for one with a similar flavor, the Elementalist might be a good choice. I'll lay out my reasoning again:

Elements: Obvious reason is obvious.
    Weapon versatility: Dual wielding daggers loosely resembles the quick-attacking model of the Enhancement Shaman. I recognize that the Elemental Shaman used 2.6s~ (2.8?) maces, but they attacked relatively quick. You can also go for the scepter and focus, similar to the mace and shield for Elemental and Resto Shaman.

However, I recognize that there are some key bits missing, which I, again, touched on. There isn't a totem substitute, and they wear light armor as opposed to medium/heavy. I recommended the Engineer to the Shaman who liked totems and weren't particularly attached to the elements, and I suggested the Guardian to those of you who would like a magic/melee user in heavier armor. At the end of the day, there isn't a true replacement for the Shaman. However, if you look, you'll find some similarities scattered throughout the professions.
    Last edited by Iselde; 2011-09-29 at 02:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silveria View Post
    Elements: Obvious reason is obvious.
    Weapon versatility: Dual wielding daggers loosely resembles the quick-attacking model of the Elemental Shaman.
    You mean enhancement. Which doesn't relate all that well to Elementalists.

If anything Ritualists were closer to Shamans than elementalists.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    You mean enhancement. Which doesn't relate all that well to Elementalists.

If anything Ritualists were closer to Shamans than elementalists.
    Edited, yeah. Typo! Thanks.

You're right in saying that Enhancement doesn't relate all that well to the Elementalist, but it's sort of there with dual wielding daggers. It's hard to take a WoW profession and look for a replacement in GW2, because the two games just aren't the same. I'm trying for the OP, though. Probably an exercise in futility, all things considered.
    Last edited by Iselde; 2011-09-29 at 02:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silveria View Post
    You're right in saying that Enhancement doesn't relate all that well to the Elementalist, but it's sort of there with dual wielding daggers. It's hard to take a WoW profession and look for a replacement in GW2, because the two games just aren't the same. I'm trying for the OP, though. Probably an exercise in futility, all things considered.
    I understand it's just that WoW's archetypal shaman is split up across too many GW2 professions.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    I understand it's just that WoW's archetypal shaman is split up across too many GW2 professions.
    Yeah, I acknowledged that with my first post. Like I said, I probably shouldn't have tried to equate a WoW class with a GW2 profession for reasons I should have thought about before I posted the first time!

10+ Year Old Account
    There isn't really a class that you can compare to a shaman in Guild Wars 2. The closest you could get would have to be the Elementalist, being all elementally, just like a shaman in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenkachii View Post
    I couldn't find this out, Will there be a shaman-like class? If so, what one? :-)

Ty ;-)
    Well, there would be Elemental/Spiritual/Spirit Animals/Melee of all/any kind(s)/etc spells depending on what weapons you pick. I could also see them having a spirit animal or servant to aid them along in their endeavors. But then again, this is my speculation. I would even go as far to say that they would call them "Spiritualists" perhaps.

But I had my speculations when in the Charr character creation, one of the options for your "Sire" is "Sorcerous Shaman". I'll try to find the video I watched.

Edit: Found it. It's at 5:35 into the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8neJj0n2EzA
    Last edited by Blufossa; 2011-09-29 at 06:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    Well, there would be Elemental/Spiritual/Spirit Animals/Melee of all/any kind(s)/etc spells depending on what weapons you pick. I could also see them having a spirit animal or servant to aid them along in their endeavors. But then again, this is my speculation. I would even go as far to say that they would call them "Spiritualists" perhaps.

But I had my speculations when in the Charr character creation, one of the options for your "Sire" is "Sorcerous Shaman". I'll try to find the video I watched.

Edit: Found it. It's at 5:35 into the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8neJj0n2EzA
    The Shaman of the Charr were the leaders of the Charr 250 years ago (in GW1, http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Shaman_caste); they worshipped 2 sets of false gods, first the Titans and then the Destroyers, eventually leading to their overthrowal by Pyre Fierceshot and his warband. They were not, however, the same as WoW shaman. Also note that now the shaman are disgraced due to their roles during the events of GW1

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    The Shaman of the Charr were the leaders of the Charr 250 years ago (in GW1, http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Shaman_caste); they worshipped 2 sets of false gods, first the Titans and then the Destroyers, eventually leading to their overthrowal by Pyre Fierceshot and his warband. They were not, however, the same as WoW shaman. Also note that now the shaman are disgraced due to their roles during the events of GW1
    Well, NCsoft has yet to touch on psionics or a very diverse spiritual class. Albeit that Rangers due get a few nature spirit spells, the whole class isn't based on the one power. But who knows, this is all pure speculation fun. And like I said before, they could shy away from calling them "Shaman" and just name them "Spiritualist".

Then again they could just bring the Mesmer back. /shrug

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggetmagic View Post
    Guardian I think fits that role quite well. They get spirit weapons and such.
    I suppose, but I see them more as related to any sort of Paladin-type class. But still, psionics, illusions, domination, etc has still yet to be touched on as a class power on it's own. Like warrior's are strength/prowess/sturdiness, ranger is pet/ranged weapons/survivalist (melee/utility), and so on, every class seems to have a slight theme to it.

I would love a class like Jean Gray or Professor X. :P

15+ Year Old Account
    If we are talking pure mechanics and not thematics, then I still say engineer. For Aesthetic similarity I would go with Air Elementalists for Elemental and probably Warrior or Thief for Enhancement. If you like mixing magic and melee or being a supporter, then definitely Guardian.

Deleted
    Closest one is Elementalist. But the gameplay of an Ele is more mage-like.

(Also in GW1 the leaders of the Charr were shamans. Bad false-God worshipping shamans.)
    Last edited by mmoc848cc4b054; 2011-09-29 at 10:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, Mesmer will be the last. I guess.
    And there is no shaman-like profession as of now. So there probably won't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    Elementalist. You have access to 4 "states" Being (I think) Fire, Water, Air and Earth. Not 100% sure on what the states are.

---------- Post added 2011-09-28 at 04:10 PM ----------

It's a Mage combined with Shaman.
    Actually the "states" are Fire, Water, Electricity, and Earth..not air. At least I dont think its air because the ele skills are lightning like.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalla View Post
    Actually the "states" are Fire, Water, Electricity, and Earth..not air. At least I dont think its air because the ele skills are lightning like.
    It's Air. Granted, most of the damage spells involve lightning, but there are spells that use wind (I'm sure there's a Tornado or a Gust skill)