Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Alma Telescope Takes First Pictures

This is the remarkable first picture taken by the new $1.3billion radio telescope sitting high in the Chilean Andes.

It shows two galaxies colliding in a view no other telescope on Earth or in space could capture.

The shot is a teasing glimpse of the capabilities of the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array telescope - this picture has been taken using only a quarter of the antennae it will have when it comes into full operation in 2013.

But even now, this shot of the Antennae Galaxies is astonishing - showing off the telescope's exceptional power at detecting 'cold' matter using radio waves. The combined image shown would not be visible at all to visible-light and infrared telescopes.
    Source

More Images

That is freaking awesome.

O_O
    O_O
    Those are amazing. Forgot about this thing.

whoa thats awsome

Looks like a fetus.

Anywoo, the mass and size of what the picture represents is almost unimaginable.

Also for those interested if you go to more images click on the picture then scroll down you can download in a couple of resolution sizes and also the original which is 75 MB!

It is a very beautiful picture, and I cannot wait to see more.

15+ Year Old Account
    That's amazing... makes me feel so small lol

10+ Year Old Account
    The potential this device has is unimaginable. It is crazy how much is actually in that picture. Hell i caught myself lost looking at it...which btw if you stare at it until your eyes slightly lose focus its as if it is spinning (god im tired).
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

Very amazing. I had no idea this telescope existed. Glad it was brought to my attention.

Deleted
    It looks beautiful in the picture but many space pictures would not look the same at all in human eyes, some of it totally invisible

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, my God that is breathtaking.

I am a total sucker for any images of Space...I actually get goosebumps & highbeams which my husband teases me relentlessly for ^^

Thanks so much for the post & the links you provided too!

<3

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    It looks beautiful in the picture but many space pictures would not look the same at all in human eyes, some of it totally invisible
    Well this was taken using radio waves so we wouldnt be able to see this at all

awesome. im sure this telescope will get us tons of great photos
    Battlemaster Ralamus (retired rogue)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post
    Well this was taken using radio waves so we wouldnt be able to see this at all
    Yeah exactly. Same with all infra-red pictures. Ofcourse it's of value to know what happens in that realm too, but it's such a letdown when many of the space pictures don't look like that in "reality" at all.

---------- Post added 2011-10-06 at 10:55 PM ----------

http://www.spacetelescope.org/static/archives/images/screen/heic0615a.jpg
    Found this, Hubble image from 2006. Hmm?

Mod Edit: Please use thumbnails.
    Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2011-10-07 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Yeah exactly. Same with all infra-red pictures. Ofcourse it's of value to know what happens in that realm too, but it's such a letdown when many of the space pictures don't look like that in "reality" at all.
    Yeah its a couple pictures combined and some color editing, but its a fantastic picture and still would be a amazing view if you could watch it in person

10+ Year Old Account
    that is beautiful

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post
    Yeah its a couple pictures combined and some color editing, but its a fantastic picture and still would be a amazing view if you could watch it in person
    I don't mind the color editing, but the fact that in some pictures alot of it would be totally invisible makes me sad But there's alot of stunning visible light pictures as well.

The Dailymail is reporting this rather incorrectly - that is not a picture taken by Alma alone. It is a picture from both Alma and Hubble combined.
    Here is the Hubble picture:

Here is the Alma picture:

Here they are combined:

Source is BBC and NASA.

Alma is a radio telescope, and it is designed to detect ancient radio emmissions, some of the oldest and faintest, whereas Hubble is an optical telescope. It allows us to observe the formation of galaxies in a very fundamental way, I believe.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2011-10-06 at 11:06 PM.

Deleted
    That's amazing, I could look at these pictures all day. Thanks for sharing!