Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    ya this is a really cool toy, they are able to move the giant antennas as they please on the plateau and focus. highly recommend watching the video from the bbc article, shows how they assemble them at a lower altitude and then move them up the mountain on a giant purpose built vehicle.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15107254
    Last edited by hellboyy; 2011-10-06 at 11:23 PM.

Great pictures. I hope more nations put more funds into R&D into space technologies and exploration.

Think im gonna make a wallpaper out of that. Some amazing photos.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagstang View Post
    Looks like a fetus.

Anywoo, the mass and size of what the picture represents is almost unimaginable.
    I was thinking that as well!
    Ofcourse it is a shape we see in it because we're humans, but I can't help but feel I want to place some symbolism onto it: Two galaxies colliding, death and rebirth.

Pretty freaking amazing stuff, I absolutely love it. Thank you science, for being awesome!

That's awesome, I wonder if there is a much higher res of that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Every Pwny View Post
    That's awesome, I wonder if there is a much higher res of that though.
    Is 3375x3362 big enough?

Crazy... I wonder what happens when 2 galaxies collide like that? o.0

Am I the only one who thinks it looks like the shape of a young boy who just stopped up to catch his breath?

I don't think this is so interesting to observe. I feel like... the scientists were setting up ALMA for so long they were going "Quickly! Just take a picture of anything! I want to finally see it!" We'll definitely be expecting a lot more cooler stuff in the very near future.

Looks like space Giygas!

Can't wait to see what new things will be discovered by this. Seems like we're making new innovations in science every day now.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddlesnarf View Post
    Crazy... I wonder what happens when 2 galaxies collide like that? o.0
    Lady gaga.