Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    I read books for several reasons:

1. I enjoy having a large vocabulary to draw from, and unlike forum-posts/blogs, the books are actually proof-read before being published.

2. Try curling up in a comfy chair with a blanket, cocoa, and a Kindle. It just doesn't work.

3. Personal experience indicates that people are more likely to avoid bothering you if you have a book in your hands, a opposed to having ANY screen in front of you.

Probably more, but those are among the major reasons. That's not to say I won't be getting a Kindle(or equivalent) at one point. I just don't see any reason to yet.
    Eh what. A Kindle is much easier to "cuddle" up with. You don't have to keep moving it to get better light; you don't have to use two hands to hold it and change pages; if there's a word you don't know you don't have to be annoyed by it and/or get a dictionary, it has a built-in dictionary; you don't have to struggle to keep it open especially when you're way off on one side and the pages (paperback books) are awkwardly tilting the book.

OT:
    I love reading because it opens my mind and lets me think on my own. It also uses up a lot of time, unlike movies that just go by in 2-3 hours.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Daginni View Post
    I personally like reading, because unlike Movies, you can actually understand the world from the characters view point, and what they think about it. It gives a more personal feel to the character, and can even make you understand the bad guy.
    That too! I completely overlooked this.

I like being lazy and watching movies XD
    Though there are certain books that I would read rather than watch a movie because a book will explain and go into far more depth than a movie can.

But honestly I just don't like reading as much as I used to, especially when it comes to schoolwork, I really just can't do it when a class demands me to read text, it's the most potent remedy to get me to fall asleep. I also prefer reading text off the internet than from a book.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan1187 View Post
    MMOC is fine on my end with Chrome, must be an ad you picked up through ad-sense that is crashing it.
    It's never been fine with my Chrome, it's constantly having issues with pressing enter to make new lines in the reply box, if I don't refresh the page or hit Preview, it glitches out and causes the page to crash.

As for the whole books thing...I dunno, I've always found books to be highly boring. Unless it's a fantasy book and I'm highly interested in the subject, I don't read books. IE, I loved the Tales from Dimwood Forest books, and The Phantom Tollbooth is still my favorite book ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi View Post
    I used to read more, but years of school, reading tons and tons because I needed to, rather than wanted to, kind of killed "reading for fun".
    I honestly think this is the main reason many people do not read these days. When they were growing up, the only books they ever read were for school so now they just associate reading with homework and homework is boring, therefore reading is boring. I am really thankful that my parents always encouraged me to read from a very early age. They would take me to the library whenever I asked and if I was ever grounded they would not allow me to watch TV or play video games, but I could always read a book. I was always reading for fun pretty much as far back as I can remember.

To see worlds that are not spelled out for me but instead created through a combination of masterful words and my own imagination. The turning and the feel of pages is also very relaxing, which you just don't get from a kindle. A book feels individual and unique and friendly, compared to some foreign and distant piece of glowing plastic in my hands.

A good book is really good, a bad book is mindnumbing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Eh what. A Kindle is much easier to "cuddle" up with. You don't have to keep moving it to get better light; you don't have to use two hands to hold it and change pages; if there's a word you don't know you don't have to be annoyed by it and/or get a dictionary, it has a built-in dictionary; you don't have to struggle to keep it open especially when you're way off on one side and the pages (paperback books) are awkwardly tilting the book.

OT:
    I love reading because it opens my mind and lets me think on my own. It also uses up a lot of time, unlike movies that just go by in 2-3 hours.
    What I meant was that it just feels wrong to me. Not that it is physically impossible to curl up under a blanket with a Kindle in your hands. I supposed my meaning was fairly obvious.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

What I meant was that it just feels wrong to me. Not that it is physically impossible to curl up under a blanket with a Kindle in your hands. I supposed my meaning was fairly obvious.
    Have you ever tried it? You said yourself that you haven't bought an E-Reader.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

I read because I enjoy it. If you want a specific reason why I read rather than watch film/tv/play games (all of which, on an unrelated note, I do), I guess books tend to go deeper into the characters feelings and minds in a more direct way. And sometimes that's incredibly refreshing.

I used to read a lot of fiction. Specifically series of fantasy novels like Wheel of Time, Song of Ice and Fire, The Dark Tower, etc. But lately all of my free time has gone to either my computer or my TV. I'm not proud of it, but to be honest I don't care very much. My ability to read isn't going anywhere and neither is my bookshelf.
    I am Dave ! Yognaut and I have the balls! *salutes*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Have you ever tried it? You said yourself that you haven't bought an E-Reader.
    Of course I've tried it! I have an uncle who suffers from Gadgetphilia, and I borrowed it for a novel while visiting once. My fingers kept wanting to flip the page, and I just couldn't relax. I'm sure I -could- get used to using one, but at the moment I have neither money nor reason to.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I read because it's fun to and I normally get something out of it to make it worthwhile aside from entertainment. I've been reading quite a bit lately actually, and it's refreshing reading a few books every day. Problem is I'm running out of books to read at home.

I don't read books simply because video games are becoming more and more like interactive books (hell I think some of them already are). Not only that, books take forever to describe something...I can understand the metaphors but damn just say what the storm is like and be done with it.

Of course I've tried it! I have an uncle who suffers from Gadgetphilia, and I borrowed it for a novel while visiting once. My fingers kept wanting to flip the page, and I just couldn't relax. I'm sure I -could- get used to using one, but at the moment I have neither money nor reason to.
    Nothing beats a physical book imo. Sometimes it's good to escape from the world of technology for a while.
    I am Dave ! Yognaut and I have the balls! *salutes*

I enjoy reading a good book but I find it hard for me to pick one up. I know if I pick up a book I genuinely like I can be there for hours reading it but either I don't have that kind of time or if I did chances are I would not spend it reading. I feel like this is a common problem for many young people who are more accustomed to getting their information/news from the internet rather than on plain old paper, and maybe its a bad thing too.

I read books because they give a more full complete story there are very few books i like to read but when i do read i get lost in them for hours
    IM GONNA PUNCH THAT DRAGON IN THE FACE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilTape View Post
    Nothing beats a physical book imo. Sometimes it's good to escape from the world of technology for a while.
    Exactly^^ Besides, a wall of filled bookshelves looks WAY cooler than a single E-reader laying there on a table, even if the e-reader has the exact same books in it =P

10+ Year Old Account
    I read books cause they are awesome. Books tell a whole lot more of the story than movies/TV shows. Lots of times the book is better than the movie adaption.

Deleted
    I love reading! I actually become agitated when I know I don't have a book to look forward to. It is impossible to be bored if you enjoy reading. Long train journey? Boring, rainy Sunday afternoon? Internet crashed so you can't get on to WoW (the horror) ? Yaaaaay! Book time!

I imagine this stems from both my parents being big readers. Throw a rock and you would have hit a book in my house.

It does confuse me that people say they hate books. There are a limitless supply of them! On every topic both real and imaginary!

I have to agree with you guys, I would miss everything about reading a traditional book for reading it on a E-Reader, I love turning the pages, carrying the book around, just.. it sounds odd, but I love it.