Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    well one time in another thread about the future of MMOs i just went and corrected all the misinformation and gave links and didn't even bash SWTOR, i then got an email from Bioware stating that i was hijacking the thread and they gave me a warning, i was so lost at their reaction.

here it is for anyone interested:
    Their mods claim they allow such threads because they want to allow open debate, when in reality all they want to allow is GW2 bashing threads.

10+ Year Old Account
    My favorite part is where everyone goes "WHAT IF YOU WANT TO TANK, THERE ARE NO TANKS", and all this ranting about tanks and healers, yet they don't even take a second to think a Warrior with a shield, a guardian with a shield, elementalist in earth, Necro with a proper life steal/defensive build, can all tank....

Healers can be engineers with medkits and healing turrets, Water Elementalists, and Necromancers (using wells and boon/condition control), Guardians.

I might even be missing some. All those classes can be focused on healing or tanking if built right.

Sigh, I wish people didn't just go off what they hear and actually look.

If the thread wasn't locked I was going to write a massive correction post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    well one time in another thread about the future of MMOs i just went and corrected all the misinformation and gave links and didn't even bash SWTOR, i then got an email from Bioware stating that i was hijacking the thread and they gave me a warning, i was so lost at their reaction.

here it is for anyone interested:
    Holy ****. That's some bad moderating!

Random person #1: "hay gaiz, this game suxx0rs"
    Random person #2: "ya i kno, i like so hate it too!"
    A well informed person: "Umm, you're all wrong about it guys, here's some real information! {Gives out info on other game.}
    Moderator #48559: "The hell you sayin' boooooy? Get out of my town!" /banswellinformedperson
    {The idiots and mods rejoice in their stupidity.}

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Their mods claim they allow such threads because they want to allow open debate, when in reality all they want to allow is GW2 bashing threads.
    i have often wondered why they choose to react the way they do and i have to say it has alot to do with ego and public perception. i mean Bioware devs are probably taking an affront to SWTOR being compared to and often times surpassed by (in reviews and accolades) GW2 which is from a smaller company, with less financial backing and whose reputation is less renowned. it's got to sting a little.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Odeezee -- My response to that warning from the SW:TOR mod would have been something along the lines of, "Whoops! Sorry if I hijacked the thread. Next time I see people making up BS about other games, I'll be sure to start a new thread specifically to correct them."

Daegalus -- Ugh, that's the kind of thing that really irks me. "If there are no tanks then everyone will just get one-shot, haha." Because if it wouldn't work in WoW, it can't possibly work, right?
    Last edited by Wyrmrider; 2011-10-11 at 05:13 AM. Reason: zomg spelling of fantasy names is hard

10+ Year Old Account
    They are so misinformed it makes me puke.

Why bashing end content and gameplay when it's only in alpha state? Ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daegalus View Post
    My favorite part is where everyone goes "WHAT IF YOU WANT TO TANK, THERE ARE NO TANKS", and all this ranting about tanks and healers, yet they don't even take a second to think a Warrior with a shield, a guardian with a shield, elementalist in earth, Necro with a proper life steal/defensive build, can all tank....
    Yeah, I was laughing at that too! Recently I've started playing D&D 4E, and one of the tanks is called Weaponmaster (Fighter), and one of the sub-choices for them is Brawler. You swing a 1h'r, and the other hand is free to grab monsters, people, improvised weapon, etc. And I thought to myself, "Wouldn't that be sick in an MMO? A tank actually doing something besides plating himself till he can't walk?"

Then it made me think, "If a random guy runs in, at a 6-story tall dragon screaming "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!" he'd be squashed in a heartbeat. So the random combat in GW2 actually makes more sense." and to that, it also made me think of D&D a bit. Most DM's won't let the monster beat on one guy. Usually it can go after anyone. Same with GW2.

That thread reminded me of a quote I once saw, "Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    Holy ****. That's some bad moderating!

Random person #1: "hay gaiz, this game suxx0rs"
    Random person #2: "ya i kno, i like so hate it too!"
    A well informed person: "Umm, you're all wrong about it guys, here's some real information! {Gives out info on other game.}
    Moderator #48559: "The hell you sayin' boooooy? Get out of my town!" /banswellinformedperson
    {The idiots and mods rejoice in their stupidity.}
    haha yeah, but what can you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrmrider View Post
    Odeezee -- My response to that warning from the SW:TOR mod would have been something along the lines of, "Whoops! Sorry if I hijacked the thread. Next time I see people making up BS about other games, I'll be sure to start a new thread specifically to correct them."
    i mean i found it ironic, had you read some of the posts i was replying to, they were completely talking just about GW2 and trashing it too and then i try to give them more accurate information and i get a warning and my post deleted yet their posts remained, oh the irony.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

The ignorance being shown by the blind fanboys in threads like that makes me sad, and what's worse is that the moderators of that forum, who are essentially there as representatives of Bioware and SWTOR, are allowing ignorance and surpressing facts when the morons are corrected because it's clear they want to make what they consider a competitor look as bad as possible. That reflects incredibly badly on both the company and the community. I really hope that this bullshit doesn't extend to in game chat when it releases or I'm gonna have a huge ignore list!

10+ Year Old Account
    I was planning on playing SW:TOR a little beside GW2, but after what I've seen from the community it looks like I'll be passing after all.

This was a good night lol, was good reading. Had to stop myself from laughing for the longest time.

So far it seems their forums are just a train wreck. Hope they fix their personality (and idiocy) soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    I was planning on playing SW:TOR a little beside GW2, but after what I've seen from the community it looks like I'll be passing after all.
    While there is a lot of ignorance and hate being thrown around in that SWTOR topic, that is not how all SWTOR fans act, in fact most of the fans that I find to be worth knowing actually like GW2 as much as they like SWTOR. Also it's not like GW2 fans are little angels themselves. I've seen plenty of senseless hate from GW2 fans in regards to SWTOR, on places like here on MMO Champion, on youtube, etc. The SWTOR sub forum and especially the mega SWTOR topic has had a few GW2 trolls from time to time.

Also a game's official forums are where you're always guaranteed to find the worst the community has to offer, just look at WoW for example. GW2 doesn't have this equivalent because there is no official game forums for it at least not yet. But the fact remains that both SWTOR and GW2 have their fair share of bad apples, it's the way of things sadly where ever there is a fandom there are fanatics who are stark raving mad idiots that spread out stupid worthless hate.

This does also makes me wonder why Odeezee felt the need to go to the SWTOR forums and ultimately post a link to said forum discussion in the GW2 subforum. What does this accomplish? Was this topic made so GW2 fans could point and laugh at these misguided SWTOR fans for bashing the game, just so the GW2 community can bash on the SWTOR community? I honestly don't see anything good that could come out of this topic. It's just so easy for it to lead to more hostility between the two groups. I'm not exactly saying this was Odeezee's intention to cause trouble, but it can easily be interpreted as such.

Also regardless of intentions whether good or bad, bashing a community for bashing something you like doesn't make you better than them, it's akin to an eye for an eye. You know what they say, an eye for an eye and the whole world goes blind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol

Yes, the swtor site is horrible. I don't even go there except to read dev quotes and see the updates. But be fair here, it's not just that site. It's most of them.
    And this article you linked, that's pretty universal as well. Many similar posts are on GW2 sites as well (And every other game). I can't look at a swtor video on youtube without seeing comments talking up GW2 and bashing TOR, or vice versa.

My overall opinon = most people are stupid. They need to cling to thier thought as the only way, and other people are wrong, and must be proven to be wrong.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivehn View Post
    But come on my friend did you see what the op wrote in that thread...
    I did, and he was an idiot. Just another trying to stir the pot imo.

Deleted
    I couldn't read past the first page in that thread, after seeing this morons post.

KommissarK
    I'll believe GW2 when I see it.

Personally, I feel that the buy the box, and no sub is such a terrible business model for an MMO, and either leads to death, or a requirement to continually buy $50 expansalones that may or may not have anything interesting in them.
    Some how, he believes that with a P2P model, you don't ever buy expansions, and all content is given monthly because you pay monthly.

Most of the people on the offical SWTOR forums, don't understand their own game, never mind another. One guy says SWTOR is dynamic, but how exactly is it?
    Same guy says GW2 is apperantly single player outside the cities.

10+ Year Old Account
    To further elaborate, I just hate this "us against them all" mentality.

It's no secret that I think TOR is amazing. But I also think GW2 is. And if I raise a question about TOR in a TOR thread, I'll get answers from people who may have similar or opposite beliefs, but overall they will not jump to bash on me. If I raise questions in a GW2 thread, I get labeled and punched. More likely than not, because of my sig. I believe that if I had a GW2 sig, it would be the opposite. There's a problem there.

If I only wanted to play GW2, I'd stay away from all TOR topics and boards. I wouldn't go looking for people bashing my game. I wouldn't go making fun of people who didn't agree with my views. I wouldn't start versus matches against other games.

I read 2 types of game info: GW2, and TOR. That's it. I don't care about any other games and thus, I don't meander to their info sites to look for problems and chances to bash.

Being a fan of both these games is abnormally hard. They are so different that they can hardly be compared, yet that's all people want to do. Why can't people just accept the fact that others like different things, and let it go at that? Why can't TOR use the classic MMO model if they can make it work? Why can't GW2 use their new systems if they can make it work? Why must everything be leaped upon with tooth and nail if it's not in accordance with someone else's personal beliefs?

It sucks that this kind of thing has to happen everywhere.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    They are so different that they can hardly be compared, yet that's all people want to do.
    That's is the problem, and also 90% of the people comparing know nothing of either one or both games, so it's a totally biased post. Look at the thread the OP post, not a single person has a clue about GW2, yet they seem to be an expert in it.

To further elaborate, I just hate this "us against them all" mentality.

It's no secret that I think TOR is amazing. But I also think GW2 is. And if I raise a question about TOR in a TOR thread, I'll get answers from people who may have similar or opposite beliefs, but overall they will not jump to bash on me. If I raise questions in a GW2 thread, I get labeled and punched. More likely than not, because of my sig. I believe that if I had a GW2 sig, it would be the opposite. There's a problem there.

If I only wanted to play GW2, I'd stay away from all TOR topics and boards. I wouldn't go looking for people bashing my game. I wouldn't go making fun of people who didn't agree with my views. I wouldn't start versus matches against other games.

I read 2 types of game info: GW2, and TOR. That's it. I don't care about any other games and thus, I don't meander to their info sites to look for problems and chances to bash.

Being a fan of both these games is abnormally hard. They are so different that they can hardly be compared, yet that's all people want to do. Why can't people just accept the fact that others like different things, and let it go at that? Why can't TOR use the classic MMO model if they can make it work? Why can't GW2 use their new systems if they can make it work? Why must everything be leaped upon with tooth and nail if it's not in accordance with someone else's personal beliefs?

It sucks that this kind of thing has to happen everywhere.
    That really sucks that you feel you've been attacked over expressing an opinion or concern in this sub forum, but I wouldn't take it to heart, people here are really passionate about the game and it often doesn't matter if you're mainly a Guild Wars fan or a SWTOR fan, they'll jump on you like a rabid charr! Same goes for the SWTOR sub forum too. I don't even display a Guild Wars 2 sig so I can actively participate in the threads there. I've seen SWTOR fans with no interest in GW2 attacked and labelled as Guild Wars fans simply because they didn't completely praise every aspect of the game.

The reality is, there are alot of ignorant people on either side who will spout lies and nonsense to "prove" their game is superior. Whether it be Guild Wars trolls posting on SWTOR youtube videos, or SWTOR fans bashing the game from the comfort of their own forums, both groups are morons and are luckily in the minority and usually shunned by the more sensible and mature fans. That being said, the situation on the official SWTOR forum is being made worse by the moderators who, while they don't actively encourage it, they seem do what they can to make sure that any factual posts that correct the misinformation are deleted and the posters warned or banned, while nothing happens to the people participating in the thread. That sort of behaviour gives people a very bad impression about Bioware when their community representatives act in such a way.

They are so different that they can hardly be compared, yet that's all people want to do.
    As long as there are even a few similarities between two things, people are always going to compare them. That's how people are. I believe it's because a lot of people like to feel superior in some way, even if they don't realize it, and they'll do what they can to put down things that they don't like to boost that feeling of superiority. "My choice is better and your choice is wrong!"

What these people don't seem to realize is that it just makes them look stupid. I don't like TOR, but I'm not going to bash it or anything like that because I don't care enough to do that and it makes me look dumb. The people in that thread seem to care a lot. It's sad, and yet it still makes me angry. Ugh. =P It does suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post
    That really sucks that you feel you've been attacked over expressing an opinion or concern in this sub forum, but I wouldn't take it to heart, people here are really passionate about the game and it often doesn't matter if you're mainly a Guild Wars fan or a SWTOR fan, they'll jump on you like a rabid charr! Same goes for the SWTOR sub forum too. I don't even display a Guild Wars 2 sig so I can actively participate in the threads there. I've seen SWTOR fans with no interest in GW2 attacked and labelled as Guild Wars fans simply because they didn't completely praise every aspect of the game.

The reality is, there are alot of ignorant people on either side who will spout lies and nonsense to "prove" their game is superior. Whether it be Guild Wars trolls posting on SWTOR youtube videos, or SWTOR fans bashing the game from the comfort of their own forums, both groups are morons and are luckily in the minority and usually shunned by the more sensible and mature fans. That being said, the situation on the official SWTOR forum is being made worse by the moderators who, while they don't actively encourage it, they seem do what they can to make sure that any factual posts that correct the misinformation are deleted and the posters warned or banned, while nothing happens to the people participating in the thread. That sort of behaviour gives people a very bad impression about Bioware when their community representatives act in such a way.
    Well it does seem that that the SWTOR mods are starting to just flat out close entire threads about the whole SWTOR vs other games topics.

Hello everyone,

Since this thread compares two unreleased games, we're closing it for off-topic. Thanks for understanding!
    This is what a mod said in that topic that Odeezee linked to. And I came across other similar topics in the SWTOR forums that have also been closed, it looks like they're moving away from individual bans/warnings and just cleaning those topics up whole sale, which I think is the right thing to do.