Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Paf View Post
    There is no fight where Telluric Currents is highly suggested in Firelands. It is purely optional. Final and cardinal.
    I would highly recommend TC on several heroic mode fights, and I'd appreciate you not appointing yourself some sort of final arbiter as regards Shaman talents. Our mana regen falls behind other healers', often by a very noticeable margin (indeed, that very blog notes as much with a more recent breakdown of regen among healers on his H-Rag kill), and TC acts to remove that discrepancy. I would argue that it would be ill advised to give up the opportunity to gain such an incredibly massive amount of regen on fights like Heroic Majordomo, Heroic Ragnaros (I even run with Unleashed Lightning for this fight, and the mana returns from being able to regen while dropping off seeds/dancing through World in Flames are almost obscene), Heroic Beth'tilac, and - albeit to a lesser extent now that the boss has been nerfed so hard - Heroic Baleroc.

I have the talent but i dont always use it. But if i do need it it's there. Fights change per encounter. someone can mess up and stand in stuff too long and you have to dump extra mana. Most of the time i dont need it, but if i do theres always opportunities to gain mana back to 100%. It was extremely useful when my guild was workin on Heroic Beth pre nerf. I was down below healing the tank and 2 dps on the drones. Usually i could find a couple of seconds where i could use 2-3 LBs after a riptide and earth shield on the tank to keep him at full. Usually went into p2 with 100% mana.

I'd say take the talent, if you dont need it then dont use it. But it's there if you do. It's better to have it then to just stand around and say "oh i'm oom" and not do anything at all. I dont spec for ghost wolf bcs i dont use it so i just took the 2 points from there.

106k mana gained (taking into account the spell cost) from Telluric Currents on today's hc Domo kill. 22k on a normal Raggy kill where I was both really lazy and had really poor luck with misses (30%).

Some heroic modes aren't very TC friendly, though. On Rhyo you'll have to shoot at adds to not get screwed over by damage reduction, for example, and Shannox tends to involve too much movement for TC to be really good (unless you glyph LB, I guess).
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all the great feedback. I decided to replace my ele spec with a TC resto spec and give it a shot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I understand its use, but if you come at the point were TC is used a lot, the raid leader should just consider dropping a healer for another dps. It does have specific uses so particularly as said in p2&3 of Rag and imo very often on domo as well. On the rest of the the bosses though, if you are having time any significant time to TC, the raid could probably use one healer less and just go through the fight that much faster.
    If you think that then you clearly don't understand it's use. TC is used in situations where you can afford to use it, meaning that if the raid leader dropped you for a different healer than that healer would spend the exact same time doing... nothing. Because there is no damage to heal. Because you don't use TC when there is damage to heal. I heal on a pally and my friend is a shaman. We communicate and have phases of the fight where he'll pick up a little slack so I can Divine Plea and phases where I'll do the same so he can TC. He gains a ton of mana from it with no real downside. Is it a must have? I guess not, but neither is flasking and yet people do it. I have yet to see any compelling argument why anyone would want to not take TC. Used properly it will give some mana during lulls in the fight, nothing more and nothing less.

In T11 it was great for several fights, and I used it alot. But, I have not found any situation that makes it great in Firelands.

The way I see it, unless it is a down phase, where there is little to no damage going out, any time I'm using TC, I will not be healing. If I am not healing, I am being carried. When I needed the extra mana regen during progression, I usually can not use it since there is alot of healing to be done.

Shannox, is the only fight where I can even remotely see it being somewhat useful as damage comes in spikes, rather then constant raid damage.

Alysrazor gives you a full bar of mana back regardless if you have TC or not during down phase. What there is to heal on Rhylo is purely dependent on driving. If the driving is bad, you'll be spending most of your time healing, if the driving is good, you wont need to heal much. Baleroc you will not be using TC. Beth.. I really havent noticed any real time where there isnt any damage to heal for me to make TCing worth it. Majordomo, lots of time to use TC here, but there is so little damage going out, you really dont need extra mana regen to begin with (this really does depend on your strat for majodomo of course).

Heroic Rag is the only encounter I cannot comment on as I get sat for this encounter. But it sounds like this is the one and only true encounter where TC doesnt isnt a drawback for T12.

There also is the fact that I am rarely even using ManaTide on the easier Heroic fights as I've been getting closer to full 391 gear.

All said and done, my opinion is, for FL, TC is unneeded.

Its kinda like manatide. The only healer that needs mana tide, is the shaman himself, the other healers wouldnt mind it, but they dont need it. So dropping the resto shaman for a more efficient healer is pretty much the same as keeping the shaman in and have the other healers heal harder since they'll have more mana.

If I need TC to keep my mana up, it means the other healer is healing more.

Deleted
    I feel the same. Had TC in T11 and loved it. But I dropped it after a while in T12. Only fight were I consider it would be majordomo hc. Not for mana regen, but to help with the damage without loosing mana.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's a nice addition to a Resto Shamans playstyle, that's why I chose to have it in my PvE healing spec. Though sometimes it better not to use it, and other times is really nice to use it. For instance, Majordomo = free 100% mana in like 10 seconds. And on Rag heroic it's nice to help out on damage if you can during let's say P3, and also nice to maintain mana in P4.

15+ Year Old Account
    The problem I see with it is this:

If you are spending all your time healing, then you are more likely to go oom, which is the time you can't benefit from this.

If you have idle times doing nothing, then you probably won't run out of mana and you won't need this.

Also most of enrage phases that cause us to go oom are at the end of a boss fight after which there is nothing for you to cast the spell on.

The irony right!?
    I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me.
    We are not monsters! We are not the mindless wretches of a ghoul army! NO! We are a force even more terrifying! We are the chill in a coward's spine! We are the instruments of an unyielding ire! WE ARE THE FORSAKEN!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long.

Playing an elemental shaman, I cannot unterstand why this talent is good for a resto shaman with 0% hit - or am I missing something important?

Other healing classes have a holy talent or a dedicated glyph in order to deal with this issue.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alltat View Post
    106k mana gained (taking into account the spell cost) from Telluric Currents on today's hc Domo kill. 22k on a normal Raggy kill where I was both really lazy and had really poor luck with misses (30%).
    Is it really 106k mana gained or didn't you take the LB mana cost in account and did you really need the extra mana? So far I see it as a way to make resto shammy healing a bit more interesting (not saying resto shammy is boring!) and killing the boss 2 seconds faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Excaliban View Post
    Playing an elemental shaman, I cannot unterstand why this talent is good for a resto shaman with 0% hit - or am I missing something important?

Other healing classes have a holy talent or a dedicated glyph in order to deal with this issue.
    With the amount of spellpower that a raiding shaman should have, on average you gain more mana than you spend even when taking into consideration how often you miss. Ideally you want to use it on adds as you have a lower chance to miss in most cases and therefor increasing the amount you make.

The problem is if you use it a few times in a fight then luck plays a larger role

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Paf View Post
    Ah, I did forget Majordomo. But if you need mana for Majordomo, you're doing it wrong. You can dick around and toss around Lightning Bolts without Telluric Currents with the relatively same effect as if you had Telluric Currents. This was true pre and post nerf.
    You definitely are clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by Deleo View Post
    The problem I see with it is this:

If you are spending all your time healing, then you are more likely to go oom, which is the time you can't benefit from this.

If you have idle times doing nothing, then you probably won't run out of mana and you won't need this.

Also most of enrage phases that cause us to go oom are at the end of a boss fight after which there is nothing for you to cast the spell on.

The irony right!?
    Just because there are times when no one needs healing, for a couple of seconds, doesn't mean you won't go oom by the end. TC isn't a talent where you go ''ok now I'll be casting LBs for half a minute to gain mana'', it's weaving LBs into your healing spells so that, exactly for those few seconds when no one needs healing (and even on hc modes, there are a lot of them on most bosses), you can gain a bit of mana back. It may not be much but every bit helps.

As for hit rating, I've never taken the hit talents Just can't give up instant Ghost Wolf. :P Plus it doesn't really feel like it misses that much, especially being a Draenei.
    Last edited by Eliot123; 2011-10-17 at 12:43 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by marukale View Post
    With the amount of spellpower that a raiding shaman should have, on average you gain more mana than you spend even when taking into consideration how often you miss. Ideally you want to use it on adds as you have a lower chance to miss in most cases and therefor increasing the amount you make.

The problem is if you use it a few times in a fight then luck plays a larger role
    well if you spec 2 points into elemental precision you shouldn't ever miss.

Just some samples :

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/7...=10702&e=11169

Bethi'lac : 600k damages

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/h...s=9544&e=10066

Majo : 1M31 damages

How often do you have wiped for 1% life remaining ? if you can produce the same (ou better) healing's quantity and quality, why won't you help your Dps friends ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by prophetan View Post
    [Majo : 1M31 damages
    If you, as a resto shaman, has the time to do that amount of damage on Majordomo you have too many healers. What you actually should compare is the benefits of having an extra healer to an extra dps, not the amount dps healers do.

My experience, as mentioned by others above, is that TC has played out its role with the ilvl we have now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prophetan View Post
    Just some samples :

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/7...=10702&e=11169

Bethi'lac : 600k damages

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/h...s=9544&e=10066

Majo : 1M31 damages

How often do you have wiped for 1% life remaining ? if you can produce the same (ou better) healing's quantity and quality, why won't you help your Dps friends ?
    I'd replace you with a disc priest or a DPS for domo tbh.
    I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me.
    We are not monsters! We are not the mindless wretches of a ghoul army! NO! We are a force even more terrifying! We are the chill in a coward's spine! We are the instruments of an unyielding ire! WE ARE THE FORSAKEN!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long.

Quote Originally Posted by Deleo View Post
    I'd replace you with a disc priest or a DPS for domo tbh.
    And you will wipe because your dps won't heal the 7M I've done (but you're right you don't need a Rshaman in your raid, other healing class are probably better)

---------- Post added 2011-10-17 at 01:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ograkk View Post
    If you, as a resto shaman, has the time to do that amount of damage on Majordomo you have too many healers. What you actually should compare is the benefits of having an extra healer to an extra dps, not the amount dps healers do.

My experience, as mentioned by others above, is that TC has played out its role with the ilvl we have now.

If you compare the lenght from our kill with a standard kill you'll notice that we need 2 extra minutes to kill the boss -> we don't spoil the strategy and we are creating our own strategy (and our is by far not the fastest). I was dpsing 3 minutes and healing 5 minutes, and in those 5 minutes I can heal stronger because I've more mana. You can replace myself with a dps, he will probably do some nice dps but he won't heal the 7M Hp I've done.

If I can heal 7M AND do 1M3 damages, why would I only heal 7M ?
    Last edited by prophetan; 2011-10-17 at 01:21 PM.