Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How can i play swtor when the DL is 40gigs?

my internet caps at 15gigs download. Do you use less internet if you buy a box at a store instead of pre ordering a digital copy?

10+ Year Old Account
    That must be terrible! 15gigs is like, 4 days of usage for me.

If you buy a boxed copy it shouldn't require you to download anything other than an update or two after installation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gosh I feel sorry for you guys. Don't understand why ISPs would ever limit the usage per month. :S
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

You pay for your internet and they limit how much you can download? That's just stupid. If you payed per gigabyte or something that would be different. I can download as much as I want and I won't even get a forced slow no matter how much. What country are you in and who is your ISP? I would recommend getting a new ISP and send in a complaint.

yeah i live out in the country the only thing i can get is mobile broadband at least its better then what i use to be on which was 5gigs

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamburger View Post
    That must be terrible! 15gigs is like, 4 days of usage for me.

If you buy a boxed copy it shouldn't require you to download anything other than an update or two after installation.
    Some days I am way over 30gigs.

You will safe the bandwith if your waiting for physical discs to arrive at your home. You still will need to download a big patch after installing the game. But then you will be fine.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You get capped internet in most countries, it just comes with a much lower cost. You would be best to call them ask how much to upgrade to unlimited man, there could be a few patches in the first month (probably not 15gb but if you include your other internet uses then who knows).
    REPUBLIC
    <Insomnia> @ EU
    16-man Nightmare Raiding
    Ranged DPS and Healers needed

10+ Year Old Account
    Eighter get a hard copy of the game, dowload at work or at a friends house. Seems more reasonable.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Boxed copy is your best bet then. There shouldn't be a giant update over that limit after it is released... but expect regular patches until they get everything smoothed out.

yay for downloading at work! i get 5mb/s download speeds and unlimited data, so no probs for me

i'll just be patching it at home, although i might have to get myself a bigger memory stick..... mines only 32gb, but i do have external drives, so i'll be fine
    <insert witty signature here>

Do you have unlimited upload? if not you wont be able to play this game but maybe for a few hours
    (█████████████████████ΞΞ██ΞΞΞ██ΞΞ█████████████████████)
    Ghost -- Jedi Consular -- Shadow -- Infiltration 8/31/2
    {Scheduled Raids | Organized PVP | Community Oriented | Helpful to one another | Team Speak provided | Website}
    Why wait Join today! still recruting!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Domenik View Post
    Do you have unlimited upload? if not you wont be able to play this game but maybe for a few hours
    No way does SWTOR have that much upload information. I doubt it will be much more than WoW I have never approached my 250GB cap(for up and down combined under Comcast)when I played a ton of WoW.

But like others have said, you are going to have to pay the massive overage charges, find a free wi-fi to steal for 12 hours, or buy the box.

Even if you buy the box set, you will get capped rather quickly due to the upload and download of information from the servers (AH lists, characters and their specifications, chat, mob and player movements and ability usage etc.)
    Unless you play 24/7 it won't get up to 15 gigs, but, as someone here has already mentioned, all your other internet use such as viewing webpages, downloading system updates, programs, patches and all those things will quickly run you into the cap.

15+ Year Old Account
    Is that the best internet connection you can get? Any cap is horrible, not to mention a measly 15gb cap(I dl that much in one day, easly), maybe you could upgrade to say at least 50gb.

Quote Originally Posted by smokii View Post
    yay for downloading at work! i get 5mb/s download speeds and unlimited data, so no probs for me

i'll just be patching it at home, although i might have to get myself a bigger memory stick..... mines only 32gb, but i do have external drives, so i'll be fine
    I don't think it's ACTUALLY 40gb, they just need some space on the hard disk to compress/decompress files.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zyzz View Post
    my internet caps at 15gigs download. Do you use less internet if you buy a box at a store instead of pre ordering a digital copy?
    Check with your ISP. They usually have a off-peak time where traffic doesnt count against you. For instance my ISP limits me to 50 gigs a month, but if i do all my downloading between 12am and 8am it doesnt count against me. Thats when I do all my torrents, updates, and when I will be downloading the client.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    I don't think it's ACTUALLY 40gb, they just need some space on the hard disk to compress/decompress files.
    The last dev post I read said it was going to be around 30g altogether, 20g of actual game data and a 10g installer (which can be deleted after installation.) I mean the beta was 27g...

I'm going to try and find that post. Damn official site is down
    Last edited by Shamburger; 2011-10-18 at 03:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No it literally is that big. Its all the voice files, that stuff takes up tons and tons of room.

No it is pretty damn close to that when it's all said and done. Maybe release might be smaller when they take out all the junk but right now it's about 40 gigs.

It is 40 gigs when fully installed, but highly unlikely to be 40gb of download. Typically they highly compress it. As an example I think wow full digital install is like 14gb or something like that but the install size is like 30+gb. But yes if your ISP limits your download amount you should try and get the boxed version and hope there isn't much patching initially.

Edit: They also said the reason the initial game is so large is because of the thousands of voice acted lines.