Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

Hunters becomeing OP in pvp

oke so now that the minimum range is going to be removed won't that give hunters a big advantage in pvp?

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by laskahond View Post
    oke so now that the minimum range is going to be removed won't that give hunters a big advantage in pvp?
    Compared to the severe disadvantage they have now?

don't worry u can still los em

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Naphta View Post
    Compared to the severe disadvantage they have now?
    i don't play one i was just wondering..

They'll be rough, but they'll be as vulnerable as any caster is in melee range. Sure they'll have more hard hitting instant attacks to do in melee range than a caster yes, but they can only get over 2 or 3 before having to use steady shot, and those you can play like any other cast.

---------- Post added 2011-10-23 at 07:29 AM ----------
    Quote Originally Posted by Wafful View Post
    They'll be rough, but they'll be as vulnerable as any caster is in melee range. Sure they'll have more hard hitting instant attacks to do in melee range than a caster yes, but they can only get over 2 or 3 before having to use steady shot, and those you can play like any other cast.
    If by that you mean you can interupt our cast, with mind freeze etc then no you can't, it is interuptable with a stun or blind and LoS.

10+ Year Old Account
    As I said in another thread....

Quote Originally Posted by BleedingHollowVeteran View Post
    Personally I hope that there's something added along the lines of... "If within X yards of target you do X% less damage"...

This is coming from a Hunter too.. I don't want to be a Melee Hunter, and don't want to be standing with Melee while raiding unless it's actually required for the fight.

I don't think there will be much difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterpower View Post
    ---------- Post added 2011-10-23 at 07:29 AM ----------

If by that you mean you can interupt our cast, with mind freeze etc then no you can't, it is interuptable with a stun or blind and LoS.

Naw, I merely meant you can try and use the 'try to be behind them when the cast finishes' trick, sure its not perfect but hey its something. We could be seeing changes where you can interrupt steady shot...but i doubt it.

We'll just have to hope beta testing yields some results! Until then...
    Last edited by Wafful; 2011-10-23 at 02:37 PM.

Deleted
    I think it's mainly an outdated mechanic and a huge quality of life change, but will also bring them back into competitive PvP with representation being similar to other classes. I wouldn't go as far as saying they'll be OP, but it could happen, there will still be LoS issues but the hunter can happily follow around the pillar/box within melee range like other classes now.

Like someone else said maybe we'll see a stacking damage reduction the closer you are to a target under say 5 yards or something, 5% less damage for every 1 yard closer so you do 75% damage if you're practically stood on top of them or something similar to that.

Quote Originally Posted by ible View Post
    So, for all the years hunter have been underpowered due to the range.
    I think that's an overreaction really, but Hunters haven't been over the top at all, compared to some other classes. (You know who you are.)

It'll be nice to see how Hunters are going to be now.

Quote Originally Posted by ible View Post
    So, for all the years hunter have been underpowered due to the range. Now, when we finally get something that every other class have. Suddenly hunter is OP?

Try:

Balanced.

Just cause you are pwned from a ranged hunter over and over again and not by a lock it speaks more for your playability than the ranged classes. Allow ranged to nuke you, what do you expect? You have plenty of ways to cover that range or avoid the damage, now you actually have to kill the hunter instead of laughing at him in melee range while your killing someone next to him. The lock you would charge right away as you notice him first and he is in theory considered a bigger danger for you, as the hunter is already being laughed at, by you.

PVP usually turn out that first one engaging combat have the upper hand. And you wotlk melee baby are very unaware of the battlefield other than whats going on in a 5 yard radius around you. That's why hunter is annoying to you. How about you step up your abilities and combat awareness as the hunter always have needed to watch out for EVERY other class showing up in their melee from anywhere. And that's when it's often to late for the hunter. Unless the attacker is undergeared.

Yes I am hoping a comeback of hunter pvp in 5.0. Finally some balance! And yes, you will be dominated. What skills do you think every hunter have built through the years with the deadzone. Yes, perfect analysis on how to defeat this 2:1 ratio that is melee. If it finally become 1:1. A certain class is a LOT more prepared than you who have been facerolling the whole game since you first logged in.

None, but melee is bothered about the range change. A sensible lock and mage would say finally hunters get what they deserve. Blizzard is trying to achieve one thing: Balance. And everyone know the hunter dead-zone is extremely unbalanced for said class.
    Still don't think it will be completly balanced. Casters can get interrupted/locked out back to back to back. Melee can get kited. Only way a caster can actually stop a hunter from doing damage to them for more then a few seconds at a time (in a bg type fight, open area very little to LOS behind) is to get in melee range and try to get some casts off while the hunter attempts/gets range to attack. Caster vs hunter will just end up being who can out damage who faster.

Deleted
    Hunters are the most underpowered class atm is all I hear. Yet a team with a hunter in won the Blizzcon Arena Tournament. If that hunter can do it, everyone can do it.
    Hunters are decent atm. Slightly OP in BGs and hard to play in arena. But a class that is hard to play =/= underpowered.

Deleted
    its far far to early to speculate, we dont really knwo what hunters are going to be like in mop aswell as other classes, i think its a great change personally :P

---------- Post added 2011-10-23 at 04:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aturbus View Post
    Hunters are the most underpowered class atm is all I hear. Yet a team with a hunter in won the Blizzcon Arena Tournament. If that hunter can do it, everyone can do it.
    Hunters are decent atm. Slightly OP in BGs and hard to play in arena. But a class that is hard to play =/= underpowered.
    pretty much this, they are a really good class, but i think they are one of the hardest to play at high rating, in BGs on my hunter i tear through everyone, but in arena i suck too much to be useful, but a good hunter always kills me

---------- Post added 2011-10-23 at 04:15 PM ----------

it may cause some problems though, because everyone other class has a weak zone so to speak, if you get into melee with with a caster, they get gimped becuase of knock back in casting and interupts, melee are gimped if they cant reach the target, but not hunter is going to be good in every position, get up close? np can still shoot you, run off and they can still shoot. i think hunters are going to be very hard for casters to kill, as at the moment the best way of killing one on a caster is to get into close rnage so he cant shoot, but that wont be an option.

So, for all the years hunter have been underpowered due to the range. Now, when we finally get something that every other class have. Suddenly hunter is OP?
    Melee's can be outranged, casters can be interupted.

Nothing specific can be done anymore vs hunters, they can't be interupted nor can they be minimum ranged. This will mean from a mechanic point of view it will be borderline OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Wafful View Post
    they are wearing MAIL armor. made out of steel. not some cloth.

---------- Post added 2011-10-23 at 03:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Naraga View Post

Nothing specific can be done anymore vs hunters, they can't be interupted nor can they be minimum ranged. This will mean from a mechanic point of view it will be borderline OP.
    yes, this exactly. but i bet blizzard does not care. .-)

Yes, a team with a hunter just won the Blizzcon tournament. Now correct me if I'm wrong, I did watch the entire best of 5, but he was more or less allowed to stand back and turret. I saw a couple scatter traps go off and some silences each match but past that he was only the burn target 1-2 times as far as I remember. He was allowed to sit back and just pump damage into the burn target or CC when necessary. I'm not saying it is impossible to play a hunter in high ranking arena. I have spent more time in RBG's. I personally have never tried to and won't speak on it but outside of a few quick escapes to get away from the lock/mage the hunter was turreting 80% of the time. The DK was a better burn target.

So yes a Hunter team just won the Blizzcon tournament but why? Because the DK or the pally were the priority burn target. If the hunter had been the easier target to burn I imagine things could have gone a little differently in that he would probably be spending more time escaping than being able to do what he did. I am not taking anything away from him and I am personally stoked to see a hunter in the team at the top of the tournament but just because they won doesn't mean that we are in a good spot. When you are the most undrer-represented class in arenas and have been since their inception there is an underlying issue that needs to be taken into account.

Yes minimum range sucked for pvp but honestly they didn't need to remove it. They had 2 options imo to make sure every class couldn't face-roll a hunter once they got into melee. That was actually give raptor strike some damage to it so that it hurt like hell or give wing clip some dmg or back its immobilize, Or the could take away minimum range. Of those options I prefer not to have minimum range and I think it will go further than some think it will to help balance pvp.

And as for everyone talking about OP mechanic not being able to be interrupted. YOU ARE FORGETTING SOMETHING!!! We are the only class, I repeat ONLY class, that needs to cast to regain our ability to actually do damage. If our steady/cobra shot could get interrupted think about how long it would take to actually be able to pump damage into anything again. It already takes 7-8 sec when not under RF to get enough focus to do anything atm, if we could get interrupted that would rise to atleast 10-11 sec +. Now why should be have to deal with that?
    Last edited by Sascuatch; 2011-10-23 at 03:51 PM.

Deleted
    They were playing against clothies as hunter/dk. The damage they can put out on cloth is insane, and the fact that most of the teams extremely underestimated the hunter team due to them playing a very unusual comp at blizzcon. The fact that they haven't really played vs hunters means they didn't entirely know what to expect, and this is mainly due to no hunters being at the ratings they play at on live realms. But yeah, that's part of the reason they got so far. Not saying they won just because of that (they didnt), all of OMG were playing EXTREMELY well in all of the matches they played.

Anyways, hunter is hard to play due to a number of problems with their class design, and other issues, such as no reliable CC. There are many classes which are much much stronger than hunters because of these problems, and this is why you don't really hunters playing at high ratings. Check the link below.

http://www.arenastats.com/index.php?...00&mt=any&mg=5

I don't see why this will make hunters OP when no other class ever suffered from anything like this. It's not like hunters were very powerful at the first place. Most players who roll a hunter end up rerolling something else back/quitting because it just isn't as easy or as powerful as they expect hunters to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Naraga View Post

It would only be OP if the hunter was also capable of dealing out the incredible damage that casters and most melee can as well, however. Hunters are not the highest damage classes in pvp by far, from a stand-and-hit-stuff PoV.