Poll: More tanks?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Monk tanking style

Will the Monk tanking style bring more people to tanking? Why or why not?

Man I don't know. Is there a video of a monk tanking? All I've seen is a monk beating up some monkeys.

haven't seen any info regarding Brewmaster spec.

was it previewed in Blizzcon?

10+ Year Old Account
    I will say that I am willing to try it, because I've always enjoyed monk classes in RPG's. And I am known among my circle of friends as 'the one who NEVER, EVER tanks'.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

Well we have an idea of what its going to be like, considering that its going to use AGI leather, the old Brewmaster hero unit's abilities, sample abilities from Blizzcon, and that video showing the Monk in action.

EDIT: Woot! 100 posts.

I think if its based on Drunken Ox fighting style it may be pretty interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing swipy blows, palm hits, maybe they will colorize it a bit for palm shockwaves or drunken spins, maybe he will use brews as protective beacons. Looks great for me (Martial art tanking combat), but the percentage of tanks among all characters will remain the same. Its just like... If people wish to play tank, they pick up inda any tanking class. And those people would pick up Drunk Panda as well. But the rest will take Wind and Mist pandas anyway, because they are easier. As always.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, there will be a ton of people playing the new class...

Deleted
    I will be willing to try it but know very little about it atm, all I know is that they use a staff or polearm and agility leather gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still believe that Drunken Brawler will be the core ability of the tanking spec. So yes, I will give tanking a shot as a Brewmaster Monk, though I don't currently have a tank in WoW.

Deleted
    I will give Monk tanking a try. I don't know what they are planning on doing with it but the whole kung fu class seems fun to me.

I doubt it will bring more people to tanking, it's the role people don't like, not necessarily the class. But I do think it'll be nice to have another option for those people who do like to tank, like myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragelicious View Post
    Mute yourself. You happen to be dumb atm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Should add a caveat to my previous post: I will try it as long as Brewmaster/drunken fighting does not require me to look at 'drunk screen', because 'drunk screen' makes me physically ill in a fairly short span of time.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

10+ Year Old Account
    What is the style? I would assume lots of avoidance and big damage CDs on long timers.

Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by rofltroll View Post
    I doubt it will bring more people to tanking, it's the role people don't like, not necessarily the class. But I do think it'll be nice to have another option for those people who do like to tank, like myself.
    I don't tank now because I don't like the tanking classes (Druids, DKs, Warriors, Paladins).

Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    And those people would pick up Drunk Panda as well. But the rest will take Wind and Mist pandas anyway, because they are easier. As always.
    I don't really think healing is easier than tanking having played both a tank and healer at max level. Especially now that you can throw down a couple aoes and have instant threat on everything. Tanking is just more responsibility I think. Most wipes are blamed on tanks (occasionally healers) and a lot of people just don't want to deal with the pressure of that. Personally I find tanking to be a little boring sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Miralynn View Post
    Should add a caveat to my previous post: I will try it as long as Brewmaster/drunken fighting does not require me to look at 'drunk screen', because 'drunk screen' makes me physically ill in a fairly short span of time.
    You used to be able to turn that effect off. I dunno if that's still possible though, try looking in the spell effects.
    Last edited by Vraizan; 2011-10-24 at 08:31 PM.

Sig and Avi by Isilrien <3 Priest~Hunter~Druid~Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Irisel View Post
    What is the style? I would assume lots of avoidance and big damage CDs on long timers.
    I think Teriz is right about Drunken Brawler being the main passive ability for Monk tanking. Makes sense.

OT: Love your sig Vraizan.
    Last edited by Rhamses; 2011-10-24 at 08:29 PM.

There was some mention during blizzcon of absorbing damage, and with wearing leather and using 2h weapon I guess it'll be somewhat like dk tanking, but you'll be drunk while doing so! so if you see 3 bosses, hit the one in the middle?

Depending on how much I enjoy it, I could very well trade my main to the class. Undead monk. Backstory is I would have given up my days as a rogue and gone on to learn the ways of the monk.

More people will try tanking yes, but it wont fix the tank shortage in LFD if that's what you are implying.

More tank classes doesn't mean more tank players. And it certainly doesn't mean more tanks in Looking For Derps, where DPS treat tanks like shit, and otherwise make the job of the tank a living hell.

Yes you get some good runs and everything goes fine and it's great, but how often does the following happen:

-DPS blames tank for not moving boss away from AOE so DPS doesn't have to move "because moving nerfs muh deeps yo".
    -DPS dies to AOE and blames tank.
    -DPS ninja pulls mobs for the tank
    -DPS ninja pulls the boss for the tank
    -DPS pulls extra mobs that didn't need to be pulled
    -DPS doesn't interrupt the boss's 6 Second CD ability that damn near destroys something (more often than not the healer or the tank) and the tank cant do coz he interrupted it the first time with his 8 second CD interrupt (why must I solo interrupt Whispers of Hethiss on my tanks?)

There isnt a tank shortage because of a lack of tank classes, there is a shortage because people do not want to tank outside of Guild groups.

I think the Monks style of play will be interesting, It wont be like the others where you can build up threat then hit auto attack go afk make a sandwich come back and the boss is dead. Seriously I've seen a Paladin do this one time, in wrath.

Will have to wait and see what other abilities he has and when his true mechanics are set out. The 3 minutes of gameplay wasnt really much of an indication.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

I can see them using almost the same stats as bear tanks, but will more than likely use parry as they have a Bo staff, it will be interesting to see anyway. I'm making one to try it out but I think I'll more than likely end up playing mdps.