Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Sorry I did not like that video at all. I have watched SWTOR PvP videos before though and it is much much better than WoW yes but that video doesn't do the game justice.

<snip> Not really the topic.
    This one is a warning Nelly. Don't dis on people.

---------- Post added 2011-10-25 at 08:08 PM ----------

Dara mac is a bad guild. Go ahead and delete this trollsbane. QQ

Infracted
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-10-25 at 08:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashii View Post
    Given the NDA and how few assets there are our there right now to use - I think you did a pretty good job with the video.

I don't get the hate in the "only three warzones at release" comments. Three is plenty initially. In fact, if you considered WoW BG's there are only ~3 maps that the majority of players enjoy any way...and that's after > 6 years of development time.
    it's not that it's only 3 warzones, it's the fact that it's only 3 warzones. If there were 3 WZ's and arena, or ranked guild sieges, or whatever, it's would be fine, but only warzones means basically that swtor will not be a pvp focused game.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    it's not that it's only 3 warzones, it's the fact that it's only 3 warzones. If there were 3 WZ's and arena, or ranked guild sieges, or whatever, it's would be fine, but only warzones means basically that swtor will not be a pvp focused game.
    It could also mean that they want a good chunk of the playerbase to get to max level before adding in ranked matches and the sort. Then they can actually see the game, as well as understand the game, instead of the elite PvP people rushing right for it and having the early advantage of things in a ranked setting.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    It could also mean that they want a good chunk of the playerbase to get to max level before adding in ranked matches and the sort. Then they can actually see the game, as well as understand the game, instead of the elite PvP people rushing right for it and having the early advantage of things in a ranked setting.
    I find that hard to believe. Not having competitive pvp in the game will make a lot of people not buy the game, so they would have at least mentioned solid plans if there were any, instead of saying "it might be implemented". This leads me to believe it will at least take quite some time for competitive pvp to be added (I assume that's expansion material) if at all.
    I just get the feeling it's not the direction they want the game to go in. That's ok I guess
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand why they said this then:

However, one of the top things on our list for post launch is a rated Warzone system where players can form teams, earn team ratings, earn individual ratings, as well as participate in tournaments, etc.

Thats what Rift said. Worst 50 dollars I ever spent.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a feature that takes a while to implement though, depending on whether they update as fast as rift, or as slow as WoW
    They might have already started it, but then it wouldn't be on a todo list anymore

We'll see how it turns out. For now i remain skeptical when it comles to pvp
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

The number of features that are listed as coming post-launch seem to be more than the features included at launch. It's a very dangerous game to play in the MMO market now. People don't have the patience to wait 3-6 months for developers to finish their game any more after release. I think Rift would be way more popular if it released in its current state than the way it did, but all those people who left after 3 months before they added all their new features are never coming back. SWTOR is going to have a higher initial population so it won't drop as far, but it's going to lose a lot of people if necessary features are only being added after launch.

Video looks good! Haven't really had any desire to check any info of SWToR out cause I am waiting for GW2, but the PvP seems to be interesting and looks like fun. :3
    <snip>
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-10-25 at 10:24 PM.
    Hi

Deleted
    Liked the video, though didn't learn anything new myself, not a bad overview of what is known about SWTOR PvP.

I'd like to know more about Ilum myself. I haven't really heard anything about world PvP other than Ilum which is contested and I believe (maybe incorrectly) involves territory control. But then there is almost 2 months to go before launch in which to release this info. That said the lack of info about End game PvP doesn't seem to be holding back the pre-orders much.

10+ Year Old Account
    I posted this a while back and was surprised by the lack of comments. It was buried in a thread though, just like here, but here we go.

http://www.starwarsmmolevelingguide.com/pvp/

It has info that may be old or unconfirmed, but it was a site listed on Trolls' main thread. I have noticed some removed info from my last visit there. Perhaps they removed all NDA stuff.

I really like this part-
    You get Valor in all PvP areas and situations. They grant you character titles and some other things such as “Leader” status in Warzones. It will work based on ranks, and it’s also used for matchmaking purposes.

That would mean two awesome things: warzone leader will hopefully be the most experienced and that there will be a solo matchmaking rating for better groupings.
    Last edited by Roose; 2011-10-25 at 10:36 PM.
    I like sandwiches

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    I posted this a while back and was surprised by the lack of comments. It was buried in a thread though, just like here, but here we go.

http://www.starwarsmmolevelingguide.com/pvp/

It has info that may be old or unconfirmed, but it was a site listed on Trolls' main thread. I have noticed some removed info from my last visit there. Perhaps they removed all NDA stuff.

I really like this part-
    You get Valor in all PvP areas and situations. They grant you character titles and some other things such as “Leader” status in Warzones. It will work based on ranks, and it’s also used for matchmaking purposes.

That would mean two awesome things: warzone leader will hopefully be the most experienced and that there will be a solo matchmaking rating for better groupings.
    Thanks for that link, actually had some info I was unaware of. Hadn't seen that PAX video before.

I haven't played a post-WoW MMO yet that's gotten both PvE and PvP right yet. AoC and WAR were pretty good in PvP. If I could have stomached the grind in Aion I think that might have been good PVP too. All three of these games had crap PvE

Rift and LotRO had good PvE... and pretty bad PvP.

I wonder if SWTOR can handle doing both well.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, one of the best PvP videos I have seen for TOR!!!! Very nicely done and makes me giddy for the game even more (like that's possible)

I have to say above everything else I am glad tanks can PvP viably. A nice and welcome change. The Warzones look amazing too!

---------- Post added 2011-10-25 at 09:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    The number of features that are listed as coming post-launch seem to be more than the features included at launch. It's a very dangerous game to play in the MMO market now. People don't have the patience to wait 3-6 months for developers to finish their game any more after release. I think Rift would be way more popular if it released in its current state than the way it did, but all those people who left after 3 months before they added all their new features are never coming back. SWTOR is going to have a higher initial population so it won't drop as far, but it's going to lose a lot of people if necessary features are only being added after launch.
    The game for a launch has tons of amazing and complete things. Them telling us what they want to include in the future is hardly them pushing out an incomplete game. 3 while not an over abundant amount is a solid starting number. With all the crafting, Warzones, questing and all that I doubt that it will be long for most players till they see new warzones and such added. trying to compare a new game with an old existing game is hardly fair. I also will take 3 decent and fun battlegrounds over 2-3 good battlegrounds with 4-5 that have been played to death. quality will for me at least beat quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by Thornstar View Post
    Wow, one of the best PvP videos I have seen for TOR!!!! Very nicely done and makes me giddy for the game even more (like that's possible)

I have to say above everything else I am glad tanks can PvP viably. A nice and welcome change. The Warzones look amazing too!

---------- Post added 2011-10-25 at 09:09 PM ----------

The game for a launch has tons of amazing and complete things. Them telling us what they want to include in the future is hardly them pushing out an incomplete game. 3 while not an over abundant amount is a solid starting number. With all the crafting, Warzones, questing and all that I doubt that it will be long for most players till they see new warzones and such added. trying to compare a new game with an old existing game is hardly fair. I also will take 3 decent and fun battlegrounds over 2-3 good battlegrounds with 4-5 that have been played to death. quality will for me at least beat quantity.
    There is NOTHING especially fantastic about the warzones they have now. Just because the game is new doesnt make what they have necessarily good. And the only reason wow bgs are boring is BECAUSE THE GAME HAS BEEN OUT FOR 7 YEARS NOW. Holding it the same standard isnt stupid. If they want to win people over htye need to hit us with something good fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temeluchus View Post
    However, one of the top things on our list for post launch is a rated Warzone system where players can form teams, earn team ratings, earn individual ratings, as well as participate in tournaments, etc.

or possibly this:A key contributor in ensuring this is the tanks’ Guard and Taunt abilities. Guard will redirect half of the damage through the Tank’s mitigation and avoidance. A taunted target will deliver less damage to everyone but the tauntee. Players will be able to easily visualize which Tanks are guarding and taunting, who their targets are, and when damage is deflected through clear animations and effects. This adds to the dynamics of a skirmish as players of varying skill levels can easily react to and be on their toes about who the real targets of opportunity are and when. Additionally, Tanks will be recognized and rewarded for how much damage they deflect in this fashion on Warzone scoreboards.

None of this info is NDA breaking, all taken from an interview with devs on http://www.ripten.com/2011/09/16/bio...-old-republic/

Glad to hear about the rated system. I was fairly sure I'd heare about it, just didn't remeber the exact wording.

That tank information is news to me, and sounds amazing. Sounds like tanks in PvP will serve an important strategic function.
    "I'll tell you something, my Tenchi, you know the carnival comes and goes. But if you wait for a while, it'll always come back to you, Tenchi."~Ryoko TENCHIxRYOKO FTW!

"The crystal is the heart of the blade. The heart is the crystal of the Jedi. The Jedi is the crystal of the Force.
    The Force is the blade of the heart. All are intertwined. The crystal, the blade, the Jedi. You are one.

Deleted
    im sorry but I (don't speak for everyone) do not want rated arena at all.

Rated warzone's / bg's are fine but you need a big pool of active players to do anything with that. I would rather have tier 1 all about leveling, learning new mechanic's, exploration, finishing class storys, making friends / guilds who you pve / pvp with etc then add rated pvp. If you add rated warzone's at launch with a small amount of interested capped players and it doesnt go well, its very likely that people will either lose interest or hate it. People draw direct comparisons from WoW to Swtor even though WoW didnt have rated arena until after its first expansion.

I also like how Bioware have said if its not in launch and enough players ask for it we will at least look into it. (that also applies to pvp)
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-10-26 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    So you realize that WoW was released with a total of zero warzones/bg's/arenas. WSG was like patch 1.8 or something. Now obviousy people have come to expect PvP scenarios in a game that competes with WoW - but expecting an MMO like SWTOR that has an emphasis on the RPG to release with 6 BG's - 4 or 5 arena maps and a competitive ladder on release is unrealistic. In fact, it's undesirable.

It would be better for them to spend their pre-release development time on creating compelling story and a strong backbone for PvP (including a few maps) and then release new PvP content later. I'd rather them do a moderate amount of (PvP) content REALLY WELL than a release a bunch of crappy PvP content on Dec. 20.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nelly676 View Post
    There is NOTHING especially fantastic about the warzones they have now. Just because the game is new doesnt make what they have necessarily good. And the only reason wow bgs are boring is BECAUSE THE GAME HAS BEEN OUT FOR 7 YEARS NOW. Holding it the same standard isnt stupid. If they want to win people over htye need to hit us with something good fast.
    I couldn't disagree more. If you don't like battlegrounds, then you don't like them. Fine. But TORs are fantastic to some people. He wasn't talking about WoW, he was saying that he'd rather have 3 quality ones than a bunch of so-so ones. And I don't find WoW's boring either.

And, they've already won people over. They've already hit us with something good. /shrug
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-10-26 at 04:51 PM.