Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    I thought the implementation of space combat was underwhelming, now I might be a bit spoiled being someone who play SWG's JTL expansion which brought ships, free flight, space missions, ship v ship pvp and resource gathering from space, it was best thing they had done to that game. Though, I can understand that Bioware could not fit this type of system into the game at launch, the rail shooter they implemented, while it looks ok, didn't really perform all that well with keyboard controls.

Can I live with what's in game at launch for now? Sure, but knowing what's possible from an MMO that's 6 years old, I know that Bioware can deliver a much better experience than what is available at launch. So I will patiently wait for them to get around to it. At least it's not something they promised to be there at launch and just simply did not deliver.
    The expansions on the universe they are building are simply endless. The game that we are getting 2 months from now could really evolve into something so much more. Space combat is one of those areas and I can't wait to see if they go in that direction.

---------- Post added 2011-10-26 at 02:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mirodin View Post
    to bad its a browser game.
    Still technically an MMO!

Quote Originally Posted by jearle View Post

If BW can handle population imbalances and server population accordingly, this entire discussion will be a moot point.
    That is the entire thing there. We won't know until we see how the population distributes itself after launch. I am just not a big fan of tieing a devs hands and saying no you can never do something.

Trust me without a doubt Blizzard will copy whatever ToR's most popular feature is and stick it in WoW and be shameless about it. Bioware can not be hesitant to do the same.

Call me close minded, I probably am for this, but I don't like the Star Wars universe, not a space fantasy fan, so I will never try the game. :/

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say the limitation of weapons. A Sith Warrior can only use lightsabers, a Sith Assassin can only use double egded sabers, sorc can only use lightsabers, operative can only use rifles, commando can only use canons, etc.

Also, the weapons themselves don't have much variability in looks, a lightsaber is pretty much a column of light, the only thing that will be different is the color of the light (you can argue and say the hilts will be different, but that would be impossible to see unless you try hard and squint your eyes and zoom into your enemy's hands).
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

10+ Year Old Account
    3 years later, bored of the hype, my annoyance.

And Lack of races for a $135million+ game is pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by scvd View Post
    3 years later, bored of the hype, my annoyance.

And Lack of races for a $135million+ game is pathetic.
    Gotta keep in mind, with the way games work today, some things have to be held back in order to be released as "features" in new expansions. IPs with very little depth can get away with making brand new things up on the spot (Ala WoW introducing Draenei & Blood Elves). But the Star Wars universe is so vast, you can't magically create an unseen race and have it meld that well on the spot. Granted, there will be a few surprises along the way, but I guarantee you that the lack of things like Transdoshans, Rodians, Mon Calimari, and the like, are because they are saving those things for future releases.

For everyone that complains about SW:ToR not having X features from other MMO's, remember, many of those MMO's are significantly more "Valuable."

You didn't pay $60 in WoW for the LFG feature. If you've been playing since Vanilla, then you paid $140 for LFG to get that feature in Wrath. If you started in Wrath, then you paid about $80 to get there. You're paying for 6 years of development cycles.

In time, SW:ToR will have more features that add "Value." But you'll have to pay to get there. You can't have $180 worth of MMO features in a $60 game.

(Note, this argument is negating Subscription Fees.)

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Ok for ToR people in this thread you people do realize that there is a day after launch right. Like this game will not just launch then shut down a month later.

It needs features to keep it viable. I am not going to sit here and list why these features are needed or provide 7 years worth of examples why they work. PRO TIP: JUST BECAUSE IT FAILED IN WOW DOES NOT MEAN IT WILL FAIL IN ANOTHER MMORPG

Just get over it guys. Blizzard did x-server LFG wrong. They screwed up and put literally no limits or restrictions and the obvious happened. The thing works in Rift. It just does and there is nothing anyone can say to convince me otherwise.

Have a little faith in Bioware to be a competent dev and allow them to put this stuff in. Do not be shocked when the "I quit" threads start over this same stuff we repeat with every mmo release.
    Bioware has stated that they firmly believe that cross-server LFG will ruin the server community that they want to promote, so therefore they don't want it in their game. Server LFG is in, however.

It wouldn't work anyway. Flashpoints don't NEED a tank and don't NEED a healer in order to get one going, like you do in WoW--that was the reason for the huge disparity of DPS to heals to tanks, and why people feel that cross-server LFG is so needed in WoW. Also, as someone who played a class that got left out a lot in BC 5 man dailies because I had no desirable CCs, LFG in general is a godsend... for WoW.

In SWTOR, there is no obvious needs that are present in WoW: everybody has a good CC, everybody can bring a companion that can tank (provided you help keep it up) or heal (toss out a heal to help it on occasion), and everyone has an out of combat heal that heals you to full.

Cross-server LFG will only bring grief to players if it's brought in. anonymity is a strong reason to grief someone, because you know you will get away with it.
    Last edited by Zarasthura; 2011-10-26 at 08:26 PM.
    Zhenji 90 Mistweaver
    Eonar US

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarasthura View Post
    Bioware has stated that they firmly believe that cross-server LFG will ruin the server community that they want to promote, so therefore they don't want it in their game. Server LFG is in, however.

It wouldn't work anyway. Flashpoints don't NEED a tank and don't NEED a healer in order to get one going, like you do in WoW--that was the reason for the huge disparity of DPS to heals to tanks, and why people feel that cross-server LFG is so needed in WoW. Also, as someone who played a class that got left out a lot in BC 5 man dailies because I had no desirable CCs, LFG in general is a godsend... for WoW.

In SWTOR, there is no obvious needs that are present in WoW: everybody has a good CC, everybody can bring a companion that can tank (provided you help keep it up) or heal (toss out a heal to help it on occasion), and everyone has an out of combat heal that heals you to full.

Cross-server LFG will only bring grief to players if it's brought in. anonymity is a strong reason to grief someone, because you know you will get away with it.
    only the low dungeons will not need a dedicated tank/healer iirc, the higher ones most definitely will.

A bad community will be a bad community whether there's x-server LFG or not. LFG is such a great feature to use, I'ld gladly take some arrogant players with it. Without cross server, queues will be a lot longer.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zarasthura View Post

Where are you getting this from? There's no server LFG that I know of and besides the first flashpoints where you might not even have an AC, you're intended to have tanks and healers.

Companions generally aren't going to be in groups with you since they count as a full group member (unless you're specifically choosing to use less real people).
    Last edited by Nellise; 2011-10-26 at 08:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a popular, but untrue, misconception. You want tanks and healers in your groups if you hope to survive in the mid to later dungeons.

There are LFG optiins on the server, but not finalized.
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-10-26 at 09:00 PM.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

i don't like waiting til december 20th

10+ Year Old Account
    Very short sighted not to include a Mac Client. Blizzard has been very successful in developing an extremely loyal Mac player base.

Quote Originally Posted by Pancaspe View Post
    Very short sighted not to include a Mac Client. Blizzard has been very successful in developing an extremely loyal Mac player base.
    Yet WoW didn't have a mac client at the start either...

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a Mac user myself, and TBH, if you buy one, you know that you won't be able to play everything on it, so deal with it and dual-boot, or buy a gaming pc like I did, I use my mac for evrything non-gaming.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    only the low dungeons will not need a dedicated tank/healer iirc, the higher ones most definitely will.

A bad community will be a bad community whether there's x-server LFG or not. LFG is such a great feature to use, I'ld gladly take some arrogant players with it. Without cross server, queues will be a lot longer.
    You are right that a bad community will be bad, but cross-server would make it worse, would it not? Let's give players the thought that you can cause a riot to whatever group you join and feel better knowing that you'll never see them again. To hell with what the other guys think!

It's salt in the wound.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    Where are you getting this from? There's no server LFG that I know of and besides the first flashpoints where you might not even have an AC, you're intended to have tanks and healers.

Companions generally aren't going to be in groups with you since they count as a full group member (unless you're specifically choosing to use less real people).
    I do believe it was Georg or Stephen that said in the forums that they don't want cross-sever LFG, but they do want to have some type of server-only LFG (like Trolls said, it's in already). They didn't like having an empty, faceless community (that we see in WoW these days) either.

The only reason you'd want to bring a companion is if you can't fill a role, which works nicely without the need for any cross-server LFG to fill it. It'll be more difficult as you get to higher flashpoints, but you can. Hell, you can duo with a buddy and your two companions if you want.
    Last edited by Zarasthura; 2011-10-26 at 09:34 PM.
    Zhenji 90 Mistweaver
    Eonar US

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    On a serious note. What you say fits 99% of all MMO's out there.
    Actually it fits 99% of every game out there. It's like saying "Oh Blackops is just BF1942 in present".
    These things happen within every genre.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    and besides the first flashpoints where you might not even have an AC, you're intended to have tanks and healers.
    This is not correct. Tanks and healers are not necessary for the very first flashpoint, before some players even have an AC. Helpful? Sure. Necessary? God no.

Quote Originally Posted by Karazee View Post
    This is not correct. Tanks and healers are not necessary for the very first flashpoint, before some players even have an AC. Helpful? Sure. Necessary? God no.
    Reread what you quoted, that's exactly what I said.

I do believe it was Georg or Stephen that said in the forums that they don't want cross-sever LFG, but they do want to have some type of server-only LFG (like Trolls said, it's in already).
    In the post I've seen from them that references this issue, all they say is there'll be no cross-server LFG, there is no indication that there'll be a server LFG in the type most are familiar with from WoW or Rift. I think people are reading into them saying that because there's no cross server LFG there will be a server one, but they don't say that. It's possible there's a 2nd post that does say that, but I have not seen it.
    Last edited by Nellise; 2011-10-27 at 12:26 AM.

Deleted
    I couldn't see anything in the trailers or gameplay previews that looked like something I haven't already done to death in other games. The main selling point from what I can tell from Bioware's repeated spiel on it, is that it is a fully story based MMO, with group dialogue and voice acting throughout. That's nice, but if I want to play a game with features that are easily found (and better implemented) in single player games, I'll play single player games.

I'd much rather play for example Skyrim, than SWTOR.

Quote Originally Posted by Syridian View Post
    it is a fully story based MMO, with group dialogue and voice acting throughout. That's nice, but if I want to play a game with features that are easily found (and better implemented) in single player games, I'll play single player games.
    Sigh... then why are you even on an MMO forum? Pretty much everything can be better implemented in a single player game. People play online for community, social interaction, and the shear unpredictability of playing with real people. I don't think because a story can be better done in a single player game is a good reason to keep it out of MMOs.