Rift Maker Trion Worlds Considers Going Public

For anyone who has not seen this. Article is on Gamasutra and other sites. I can't post links.

Looks like Rift is doing very well financially.

From the article, "Rift, the company's first game, is "vastly profitable," according to Buttler."

I think this is good news for all who enjoy this game.

What do you mean "going public"? As in they will sell stocks to the public or something?

Good write up here:

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news...-with-ipo.aspx

The interesting thing is that if Trion does go public, they will have to post their actual subscriber numbers as Blizzard do. They must be feeling confident.
    Last edited by Tarien; 2011-10-26 at 05:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good for them, I support this we can once and for all see numbers and the speculation can actually end.

---------- Post added 2011-10-26 at 01:12 PM ----------

A little off topic their next game is in beta and is a F2P MMO RTS it looks interesting I'm not a big RTS fan but being an MMO RTS is kind of intriguing.

http://www.endofnations.com/en/

Cool, I'd love to know how many people actually play.

Even though how much I have supported rift and absolutely love Rift, I have to say, I do not want to see their subscriber numbers. They seem to be low right now judging by the fourms and server status. I really dont know why since rift is still amazing, but I would have to guess that their subs have fallen to around 200k which would be really sad considering how great of a game it is. Hopefully Ember Isle and planetouched wilds will give Rift a sub boos.

I'm not a fan of the game, but this is good for Trion, and i wish them the best of luck.

Deleted
    i always liked rift since first time i played it, first time i got into gloamwood had to jus stop for a minute and look around at the views it was so awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Clymene View Post

For anyone who has not seen this. Article is on Gamasutra and other sites. I can't post links.

From the article, "Rift, the company's first game, is "vastly profitable," according to Buttler."

bad for us gamers. with they going public, they will now chase profits for their shareholders. which means they will cut corners, release patches before they are ready like blizz did with cata. we will be getting half the advertised stuff because they will have keep up with strict time table.

Quote Originally Posted by Clymene View Post

companies go public to get more money to invest or so the wage slaves can be paid in stock so theyll have some motivation for the companies success or so they can scam ppl for when the company goes belly up

why is it good news for ppl who enjoy the game?
    Isnt 10% of infinite still infinite?

Quote Originally Posted by ambigiouslynamed View Post
    [/B]

companies go public to get more money to invest or so the wage slaves can be paid in stock so theyll have some motivation for the companies success or so they can scam ppl for when the company goes belly up

why is it good news for ppl who enjoy the game?
    Going public CAN spread the risk, it can also be a sign of as you say, things going down hill - let's hope not, when a game dies suddenly (think APB) it is massively frustrating to those that love it and have spent time on their characters.

Deleted
    Its nice to have some competition i dont play the game, but good for them hope it works out. If they are successful it can only push wow to do more and thats a good thing.

Even though how much I have supported rift and absolutely love Rift, I have to say, I do not want to see their subscriber numbers. They seem to be low right now judging by the fourms and server status. I really dont know why since rift is still amazing, but I would have to guess that their subs have fallen to around 200k which would be really sad considering how great of a game it is. Hopefully Ember Isle and planetouched wilds will give Rift a sub boost
    No way its that low. I'd guess its around 400-500k right now. But just because servers aren't full as much doesn't mean people aren't subbed it just means that are playing less often. WoW is like that as well. Would you ever guess looking at the shard status's that they have 13 mil? Heck no. Going public would definitely not happen unless Trion was going well though, so that is good news indeed.

Ember Isle may not boost subs (though I am sure some will come back for it) but it will certainly cause in uptick in people playing on servers. You might even see some queue's on the higher pop servers for the first time since WOM went live.

Rift subs in North America are in good shape, and competitive with Wow.
    It's just in Asia where Wow really dominates.
    Although Trion could fix that if they made some smart moves with the game to better appeal to Asain tweens.
    For example, find some cuddly Asian animal like a Koala bear and make it a new race.
    Then find some cool Aisan port like Kung Fu, and make that a new class.
    Then add somehting really fun for kids like transformers, and let vanity pets transform and battle each other like Pokemon - Hello Kitty has a good model for this.
    Only problem is one might lose the US market, in fact the US market might go completely nuts and start flaming every forum at how much the new stuff will suck.
    But.... once it's all about making money.... who cares... amirite?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daarksoul View Post
    Rift subs in North America are in good shape, and competitive with Wow.
    It's just in Asia where Wow really dominates.
    Although Trion could fix that if they made some smart moves with the game to better appeal to Asain tweens.
    For example, find some cuddly Asian animal like a Koala bear and make it a new race.
    Then find some cool Aisan port like Kung Fu, and make that a new class.
    Then add somehting really fun for kids like transformers, and let vanity pets transform and battle each other like Pokemon - Hello Kitty has a good model for this.
    Only problem is one might lose the US market, in fact the US market might go completely nuts and start flaming every forum at how much the new stuff will suck.
    But.... once it's all about making money.... who cares... amirite?
    WoW still dominates US right now, just everyone is done FLs progression

---------- Post added 2011-11-03 at 04:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Khelendros View Post
    No way its that low. I'd guess its around 400-500k right now. But just because servers aren't full as much doesn't mean people aren't subbed it just means that are playing less often. WoW is like that as well. Would you ever guess looking at the shard status's that they have 13 mil? Heck no. Going public would definitely not happen unless Trion was going well though, so that is good news indeed.

Ember Isle may not boost subs (though I am sure some will come back for it) but it will certainly cause in uptick in people playing on servers. You might even see some queue's on the higher pop servers for the first time since WOM went live.
    not trolling, but when i look at Rift shard stauts i see many low and a couple medium and the odd high server, but will WoW, i barely see a low pope server and so many medium and high servers and a couple full all the time, just speaking my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Archdruid Exhaust View Post
    not trolling, but when i look at Rift shard stauts i see many low and a couple medium and the odd high server, but will WoW, i barely see a low pope server and so many medium and high servers and a couple full all the time, just speaking my opinion
    Like I said in the other thread, unless you have information on what low, medium and high means in actual numbers, it has no meaning besides how heavy load the server has to deal with.

Despite some bumps in the road and being rookies at the MMO business, Trion runs an MMO like an MMO should be run.

Trion makes Blizzard look like cheap arse penny pinchers.

<Mod edit: Less developer bashing please. Keep discussions constructive every game has it's good and bad points bashing will just end up in closed threads, thanks>
    Last edited by Azuri; 2011-11-03 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    bad for us gamers. with they going public, they will now chase profits for their shareholders.
    Whether they're Privately held or Publicly traded, they always chase profits for their shareholders.

OTOH, I don't see this affecting Rift much, as the money would most likely be used for an infusion of jobs into their current projects. (although, it might help with getting an expansion in the works faster... but the Rift team doesnt seem to be hurting for help at present).

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    although, it might help with getting an expansion in the works faster... but the Rift team doesnt seem to be hurting for help at present
    Is there any plan for an expansion even, from how they have been going about things so far it seems like there not heading in that direction development wise.

Gosh I love Rift and I am very happy for Trion.
    Only complaint is that their toon animations are arent too fluid and should be made a little higher quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Editos View Post
    you can't debate with a game that sends you dragons via mail