Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    As long as they still have DX9 support there is little reason to fret for a lot of people. If they all the sudden come out and say "hey guys, you'll need at least DX10 for GW2" then you might want to start being concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Antherios View Post
    Could anyone give me some insight/opinion on my dinosaur?

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.4GHz (soon to be AMD Phenom II X4 840 Edition 3.2 GHz)
    RAM: 4,00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 366MHz (6-6-6-18)
    Motherboard: FOXCONN A74ML-K (Socket 940)
    GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series (ATI AIB)

My goal is to run gw2 on good/high if possible.
    Having read your responses following the quote above. Honestly, you're not likely to ever hit high on that. You'll probably end up on lower settings. My advice would be to perhaps look at building a new one (if you feel comfortable doing so that is, and if you're installing new cpu's, it's not much harder). For 4-500 bucks you could easily build something that would easily improve upon what you have now. And if you could save up 700 or so you'll be able to build one that will last you for quite some time. But, that's entirely up to you. With the specs you've given, it should be possible to upgrade over time using your old components. But, if you can save up and buy most of the components to be able to build one slightly before release of GW2, you might get some better deals and be able to maximize your bang/bucks.

Can someone give me a quick check on my specs?

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)

CPU:
    Intel i5 750 2.6 Ghz

GFX
    AMD Radeon 6850

Motherboard:
    Gigabyte P55-UD3

RAM:
    4GB (Forgot what brand etc...)
    Last edited by Exerionx; 2011-10-10 at 09:05 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Neglesh View Post
    Can someone give me a quick check on my specs?

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)

CPU:
    Intel i5 750 2.6 Ghz

GFX
    AMD Radeon 6850

Motherboard:
    Gigabyte P55-UD3
    You'll be fine for GW2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    Ask where ever you buying it from to drop the i7 2600 to a i5 2400/i5 2500k and up the GPU to a GTX 560Ti instead.

You don't need the hyperthreading a i7 2600 has, and the 560 is marketed in the wrong place. You could spend less on a 460 and or slightly more and get the 560Ti, both of which are better value.

If you don't know about computers, you'd be better off asking in the computer forum section on MMO or GW2guru and asking for advice, they'll both help you get the best bang for your buck and in the right places.

It was aimed at the site not you. Look at my sig, it will make you smile!
    What is the difference between GTX560 and GTX560Ti? And I7 and I5?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eorayn View Post
    What is the difference between GTX560 and GTX560Ti? And I7 and I5?
    The i5 2400/2500 doesn't have hyperthreading whereas the i7 2600 does, hyperthreading isn't used while gaming so unless you do lots of video encoding or music stuff, there's really no point spending the extra £80/$100.

The 560Ti, is a hell of alot faster than the 560, the 560 is on par/weaker in some cases to the 460. The price of a 560 doesn't warrent the performance you get from it, since a cheaper card is similar/slightly better, or a slighlty more expensive card is a hell of alot better.

I believe I've heard Anet folks say that if you can run medium settings for GW1, you can run low (but completely functional) settings for GW2.
    Diablo IV is the best MMORPG Blizzard has ever made!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Omedon View Post
    I believe I've heard Anet folks say that if you can run medium settings for GW1, you can run low (but completely functional) settings for GW2.
    That's what they said they'll TRY to make it. It remains to be seen if that holds true when the game is done.

Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie View Post
    That's what they said they'll TRY to make it. It remains to be seen if that holds true when the game is done.
    Even with that being said, that's still good news for those guild wars players concerned about being able to play GW2.
    Diablo IV is the best MMORPG Blizzard has ever made!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Omedon View Post
    More like they said they'd try make it so if you played GW1 on ultra, you might be able to do GW2 on low.

If it was GW1 medium settings, nobody would need a new P, and I'd be happy maxing it on my old laptop.

From their Faq http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-gam...-faq/#thirteen
    What are the system requirements for Guild Wars 2?

The system requirements haven't been finalized, but just as with the original Guild Wars series, we're committed to creating a beautiful game that will play great on mid-range gaming PCs.

I remember reading something about a year ago (i think in a video) that if your pc could play with 1st guild wars it would be able play the 2nd one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSerialSniper View Post
    I remember reading something about a year ago (i think in a video) that if your pc could play with 1st guild wars it would be able play the 2nd one.
    Highly unlikely. We've been quite a few years down the road, and the systems that were considered high-end when guild wars started selling are slower then current low end (discounting IGP).

And if you must buy IGP, get AMD Llano. It runs in circles around shitty sandy bridge IGP, and doesn't shit all over graphics quality like intel does. You most likely will be able to run GW2 on Llano on settings better then lowest, and not look too crap. You will most likely be barely able to run low on sandy bridge, and it will look like crap to boot due to intel cheating on various filtering techniques.

I'm pretty sure Pyre is correct. I've also seen them state that if you ran GW1 on Ultra, you'll be able to run GW2 on low/medium.

Quote Originally Posted by Armida View Post
    This kinda worries me a bit. Do I have to get another hamster to propell my pc?
    CPU:Intel Pentium 4 631
    I'm afraid so.

Dual- or even quad-hamster PCs had been all the rage the past couple years.

Fark...have to upgrade from hamsters to Wile E. Coyote then.
    X:"Echo?"
    Echo: "What?
    X:"Echo?"
    Echo: "What?!"
    X: "Nothing"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Armida View Post
    Fark...have to upgrade from hamsters to Wile E. Coyote then.
    Fuck Power Supplys. I have a room containing 3591 steroid pumped hamsters running in wheels in my appartment.

Deleted
    I'm aiming towards running the game on ultra, all settings set as high as possible.

PC:
    i7 860
    hd 5850
    4 gig ddr 3 ram 1333
    7500 rpm hard drive
    w7

I think the biggest bottleneck would be the hard drive in stead of an SSD drive, but can anyone estimate on whether or not it will be possible to run it on ultra?

---------- Post added 2011-10-30 at 07:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post
    I'm pretty sure Pyre is correct. I've also seen them state that if you ran GW1 on Ultra, you'll be able to run GW2 on low/medium.
    This naturally is complete bullocks, the game doesn't go behind Ultra settings, so even the world's best pc at this time would run gw2 on low/medium? How can they possibly know a machine that out-does a game by running everything on ultra is not good enough to run gw2 on ultra? Unless they said something along the lines of; if your pc is struggling to run everything on ultra in gw1 you'll probably run gw2 on low/medium.
    Last edited by mmoc8fc641f927; 2011-10-30 at 06:57 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawrgrablle View Post
    This naturally is complete bullocks, the game doesn't go behind Ultra settings, so even the world's best pc at this time would run gw2 on low/medium? How can they possibly know a machine that out-does a game by running everything on ultra is not good enough to run gw2 on ultra? Unless they said something along the lines of; if your pc is struggling to run everything on ultra in gw1 you'll probably run gw2 on low/medium.
    No offence but are you that stupid? It means that if you could just get it to ultra you'd be fine getting to medium in Gw2 but obviously if you could easily get ultra easily,you should be fine getting ultra in GW1. Remember when Gw1 was released computers on average were of a lower spec.
    Last edited by mmoc42747a85ed; 2011-10-30 at 09:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawrgrablle View Post
    Oy vey, and you said I was incapable of rational thought...

If your computer, that you have now, can run Guild Wars 1 on Ultra, then you should have absolutely no problem playing Guild Wars 2 on AT LEAST medium settings.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post
    I've also seen them state that if you ran GW1 on Ultra, you'll be able to run GW2 on low/medium.
    I believe the above one doesn't match the one below, can anyone explain the difference of these two posts to me?

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    If your computer, that you have now, can run Guild Wars 1 on Ultra, then you should have absolutely no problem playing Guild Wars 2 on AT LEAST medium settings.