Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Exclamation Few weapons limited until certain level?

I was reading around some Guild wars 2 information and something caught my eye: Some weapons cannot be used until a certain level! I don't know if this could be a good idea or not, but I was hoping to use a Rifle or Longbow as a warrior from the near beginning, I don't want to wait 10 or 20 levels to use the weapon I want to use. I don't know all weapons can or cannot be used from the start, all I know is that for warrior you can use sword, mace and axe from the very beginning, and possibly rifle. I don't know if the company did this for balance issues, but hopefully in my opinion this changes.

What do you guys think about this? Do you like it? Hate it? Are you neutral about it? I want your opinions.

P.S. If you guys can, can you post me the limited weapons and non-limited weapons at lower levels, thanks.

You should at least be able to use some type of ranged weapon from the start as a warrior.

I plan on playing a thief, so I fully expect to be able to switch to melee and ranged when I want from the start. If I only have to wait til lvl 10 though I won't have a problem with it. I don't think lvl 10 would take long enough to complain about it, but anything higher might be too limiting.

I don't like this either. Not being able to use some weapons until lv10 or 20 just seems boring and restrictive. I can only see two reasons to do this. Maybe they found with certain combinations that in the early levels it made a profession better than all weapons at that state in the levels, or they want to present a linear state of progress,

For instance they may want is walking around with a sword and shield for the first 10 levels just so we get a basic understanding of some easy mechanics before we go along with a less utility and more offensive build.

However I do not agree with this. I would have like to run around with dual axes but I now I cant until 20 levels, which may take a long time since the interval between each level is the same so who knows how long 1-20 may actually take since it is suppose to take as long as from say 40-60.
    If curiosity killed the cat, why can't speculation kill you?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmazingFeedz View Post
    I was reading around some Guild wars 2 information and something caught my eye: Some weapons cannot be used until a certain level! I don't know if this could be a good idea or not, but I was hoping to use a Rifle or Longbow as a warrior from the near beginning, I don't want to wait 10 or 20 levels to use the weapon I want to use. I don't know all weapons can or cannot be used from the start, all I know is that for warrior you can use sword, mace and axe from the very beginning, and possibly rifle. I don't know if the company did this for balance issues, but hopefully in my opinion this changes.

What do you guys think about this? Do you like it? Hate it? Are you neutral about it? I want your opinions.
    I personally think it's a good idea. Atleast you'll feel there's some point in leveling up when you get access to weapons you couldn't use before. Ie. "character progression" in gameplay terminology.

Quite a minor thing to complain about anyways IMHO.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't know this, but it doesn't really bother me, you'll get them eventually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since when is this the case? Are you talking about being able to use the weapon (as in if you're lv 5 and get a rifle as a warrior you just can not use it period) or that you don't get a rifle as a reward from a quest until X level?
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    It makes you learn Weapon Skills...
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    It makes you learn Weapon Skills...
    Exactly, most of the time, just after unlocking your last skill of your current weapon you will have leveled up enough to pick up the next one.

It's just for learning purpose and small "progress feel".

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand the real purpose, and it most definitely won't feel like progression at all to me. If different weapon types were more powerful I would understand, but they are not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernling306 View Post
    I don't understand the real purpose, and it most definitely won't feel like progression at all to me. If different weapon types were more powerful I would understand, but they are not.
    As I said before, it practically forces you to learn all your weapon skills through out the entirety of the game, instead of people just sticking with one or two (not very likely, but it will happen)

Deleted
    If the weapons unlock at lvl 5/10/15/20 or something and not much higher, then this really won't bother me. At all.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Having to learn all the weapons is a good thing. Yes, it might feel a bit restrictive from the start, but in the end having the basic know how on how to use everything is better than just picking your prefeered set up, and then when you come to a situation where you really need a different set you don't know it.

I thought this statement was more focused on items having a certain level in order to use them.
    So for example, as a warrior you can use all the weapons warriors can use from the beginning, but stronger weapons have a higher level requirment.

But if its like OP described, I guess I dont really care either way.

This doesn't really bother me but I do want to see a source. And I want it to be from an interview or the likes, basically a quote from a developer and I'll believe it. Thank you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerken View Post
    This doesn't really bother me but I do want to see a source. And I want it to be from an interview or the likes, basically a quote from a developer and I'll believe it. Thank you.
    I second this really...

10+ Year Old Account
    Where did you read this? Personally I'm not sure if this is a good idea. Part of the appeal is the flexibility of the classes, which comes in a large part from weapon switching. But I did see a demo where the guy was playing a level 1 fighter with a sword, then an axe dropped and he equipped the axe, so I'm not sure how much I believe of this.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerken View Post
    In this interview God... I mean.. Colin... confirms it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGfBY...layer_embedded

Well, as I previously said, it doesn't bother me at all. Leveling in GW2 won't be a hard thing to do so getting a few levels won't be a problem really. Now, I can't bother watching a 16 minute interview with horrible sound so I don't really know how much he said about it, but in the demos it looked like classes could atleast use most of the weapons. Like in the TotalBiscuit video, he used a sword, axe, bow and he could choose more weapons just from the first dynamic event. It seems to be giving us enough choices so we won't get bored.

What I do think is that people are looking into the game and planning waaaay too much. Already knowing exactly what weapon sets and skills they will be using is quite weird. Then some people say that this weapon restriction removes the exploring part of weapon sets, but you've already decided exactly what you want. So why do you even care?

I will be going into GW2 knowing the systems, but not the specifics. I encourage more people to do so since it will provide a bigger gameplay experience since most of the things will be very new.

10+ Year Old Account
    people on forums so quickly forget that they are not the majority of the gaming populations. alot of people on forums are very vocal and are usually above average gamers, so it's easy to assume that everyone who plays the game would have the same aptitude as they would. but the reality is alot of the gaming population are new to gaming as a whole let alone MMOs, so ANet have decided not to overwhelm them by giving them too much too soon. also, as others have mentioned, it gives leveling a purpose and a sense of character progression.

a game without goals can get mad boring mad quick, so i personally like the idea; it gives me something to look forward to as i level.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

I noticed this when I was playing a low level Warrior in the demo. I wanted to equip a Greatsword, but it said it required level 10. That sucked for the demo, since I was only allowed 40 minutes each go and so didn't get to try it out, but when the game releases, waiting til you get to level 10 is nothing.

While I don't really see why they decided to do this, it doesn't really bother me since the level restrictions are so low that you'll have access to everything pretty quickly.