Poll: Who will win in 1-on-1 combat: Darth Vader Vs Sauron (with one ring)

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I'd put my money on Darth...just makes more sense since he has superpowers and a lightsaber.

I think Sauron is powerfull, but in a 1 on 1 he'd get the shit kicked out of him...make it a fair fight and put 2 fantasy-ish villains in a fight.

Pretty close poll so far !

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Vader. better minions (though I do find it funny that Obi-Wan says "only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise" about the jawas, and then the rest of the movies they can't hit the broad side of a bantha) and the Force. and the appendage thing mentioned above.
    22 miles of hard road
    33 years of tough luck
    44 skulls buried in the ground
    Crawling down through the muck
    Ah yeah...

10+ Year Old Account
    This is like asking who would win between a lvl80 mage and a lvl 60 death knight, Sauron is immortal for all purposes while he has the ring, while Vader, while powerful for his universe, is still mere mortal, and as such, has no hope of winning without forcepushing Sauron into Mount Doom (not happening as that would be like a human pushing the statue of liberty from New York to California without help of machinery or other humans. Power=mass in fantasy settings.
    The people with the most to say generally know the least.
    I prove the above statement.

Both have magical powers, Sauron has magic, vader has many force abbilities, both ranged and melee. But Sauron has one weakness, his finger, where Vader doesnt have one big weakness. Vader is better suited at melee combat than Sauron too.

Talking about armies, i dont think arrows and rocks would do shit against lasers, bombs, robots, lightsabers, etc.

Plus the death star would not only one shot middle earth, but the whole planet, including where the elves go to, dragons, mountains and all, one push of a button and good bye lord of the rings.

Imagine what would an empire's starship fleed would do to mordor...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LordMarius View Post
    Plus the death star would not only one shot middle earth, but the whole planet, including where the elves go to, dragons, mountains and all, one push of a button and good bye lord of the rings.
    While your other points are valid, Valinor (where the elves return to) is disconnected from the rest of Arda(the planet where middle earth is) also, the Valar would like to say hi.
    The people with the most to say generally know the least.
    I prove the above statement.

10+ Year Old Account
    I voted for dath vader because I just can't see Sauron every getting in a succesfull hit against Darth Vader.

It'd be like the special olympics.. who cares, they are both retarded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragelicious View Post
    Mute yourself. You happen to be dumb atm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Darth Vader cause Vader can do more than just swing a giant sword around and he doesnt need to be 20 feet tall to kickass either. as for that eye all it did was stare at you. Plus Vaders light saber would eat through Saurons weapon like a knife through butter. The only reason Saron would win is cause Vader has a dependency problem, take out Palpatine and Vader would instantly be Saurons minion.
    Last edited by Nuvuk; 2011-11-03 at 12:08 PM.

If a random Elf with a sword can cut off Sauron's finger and get the one ring, a lightsaber can do it better.
    Plus there's always that whole "Glass the planet from orbit" thing that there's SFA Sauron can do about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sauron is so much more powerful, though Vader could always get in a lucky blow against an overconfident Sauron like Isildur did (a light saber is probably as useful as Narsil). Regardless, voted Sauron.

Sauron's spirit would survive a physical death anyway so it wouldn't really be much of a win for Darth Vader.

Sauron would dominate Vader with ease. The one ring gives Sauron all the power of Morgoth, the source of all evil in the universe. With the one ring Sauron could stand toe to toe with the Valar, the gods that created the universe.

I can't even describe how big of a difference in power there is between Vader and Sauron. It'd be like a sick newborn pigeon trying to fight a titan.

---------- Post added 2011-11-03 at 03:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Xiphan View Post
    Sauron is so much more powerful, though Vader could always get in a lucky blow against an overconfident Sauron like Isildur did (a light saber is probably as useful as Narsil). Regardless, voted Sauron.

Sauron's spirit would survive a physical death anyway so it wouldn't really be much of a win for Darth Vader.
    Narsil was a Numenorean blade, specifically enchanted, (like all blades of that time period) to deal a mortal wound to the Witch King and Sauron. Simple energy and heat is nothing compared to magic of that level.

---------- Post added 2011-11-03 at 03:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by LeviathanZero View Post
    If a random Elf with a sword can cut off Sauron's finger and get the one ring, a lightsaber can do it better.
    Plus there's always that whole "Glass the planet from orbit" thing that there's SFA Sauron can do about.
    It was a human, not an elf, also see the other part of my post about Narsil. A one on one fight was specified, so don't bring the Death Star into this. If you want to bring the Death Star into this, I'll just bring Iluvatar into this. He's a true god, the king of the valar, and he would sense the impending destruction of the world, and use his god magic to vaporize the Death Star before it ever even got into the solar system.

Also, it's clear that a lot of people in this thread have only seen the movies, or barely payed attention while reading the books. That or they never read any other lotr books besides the big three. There's a reason that a race of superhumans, a race of immortals, and a race of gods thought Sauron was going to destroy the world, his dark magic is over 9000.

The fight would go something like this. Sauron and Vader slow walk at each other. Vader draws his lightsaber. Sauron holds out his hand. Vader falls over dead.

Sauron is a sorcerer, him hitting people with his mace at the start of the first movie is the equivalent of a warlock in wow using melee out of boredom. So compare a level 85 melee warlock, to a level 85 affliction warlock that's doing their proper dps rotation. Apply that to Sauron and the damage he did with his melee, and you start to get a very small idea of what he's capable of.
    Last edited by OrcsRLame; 2011-11-03 at 03:23 AM.

Let us do a pre-fight comparison of our competitors.

Vader had both arms and legs chopped off, was set on fire by a river of magma, was extinguished not by anything bar the fact that there was nothing left to burn, and still survived to become the most powerful being in the entire galaxy.

Sauron imploded after losing a single finger.

Sauron can manipulate the minds of men, whispering to them and turning them to his will after a period of time (weeks, months or years). He has a giant mace that can destroy dozens of men in a single swing.

Vader can crush you with his mind, throw you around like a rag-doll, shoot lightning and cut you to pieces with his lightsaber... all from across the room.

Sauron can corrupt the minds of the weak-willed over a period of time.

Vader simply needs to wave his hand.

The battle itself would go something like...

Sauron: Your mind is weak Human. Bend to my will and you will know no boundaries.
    Vader: *waves hand* Hey, can I have a look at that ring for a sec?
    Sauron: Hey, have a look at my ring for a sec.
    Vader: *lighstaber*
    Sauron: Not again...
    Sauron: *Implode*

How anyone can think Sauron stands a chance is beyond me...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

Quote Originally Posted by saberon View Post

Vader had both arms and legs chopped off, was set on fire by a river of magma, was extinguished not by anything bar the fact that there was nothing left to burn, and still survived to become the most powerful being in the entire galaxy.

Sauron can manipulate the minds of men, whispering to them and turning them to his will after a period of time (weeks, months or years). He has a giant mace that can destroy dozens of men in a single swing.

Vader can crush you with his mind, throw you around like a rag-doll, shoot lightning and cut you to pieces with his lightsaber... all from across the room.

Sauron: Your mind is weak Human. Bend to my will and you will know no boundaries.

Bahahaha...that was epic. Well played Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by saberon View Post

Lemme guess, you've never read any of the other books about Sauron or Morgoth right? Oh and you forgot some of Vader's powers. He can also use the dark side of the force to continuously stitch his body back together whenever he takes a hit. That being said, Vader would still lose.

Okay okay okay. Let me make this EXTREMELY simple.

Long ago in Lord of the Rings, a powerful god called Melkor decided to turn bad. He renamed himself Morgoth. Before Morgoth existed, the universe was perfect. Evil as a concept did not exist. He is the source of all evil everywhere. Every bad thought, every bit of anger, every negative emotion or deed, it all comes from Morgoth. He created evil as a concept, he is pure evil.

The dark side of the force is not magical, it is science, and has been explained as such multiple times in Star Wars lore. If Morgoth and Star Wars existed in the same universe, that means Morgoth created the dark side of the force.

He has ultimate dominion over all evil. He can make the dark side not exist anymore. He can take away Vader's anger, the source of his strength. Vader is such a fearful creature he would become a servant of Morgoth upon laying eyes on him.With the one ring, Sauron = Morgoth. Vader would instantly lose his will to fight, and worship Sauron, because he IS the dark side.

TL: DR Sauron is literally Vader's god.
    Last edited by OrcsRLame; 2011-11-03 at 03:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Lemme guess, you've never read any of the other books about Sauron or Morgoth right? Oh and you forgot some of Vader's powers. He can also use the dark side of the force to continuously stitch his body back together whenever he takes a hit. That being said, Vader would still lose.
    If I recall from silmarillion that Sauron felt like weakling. To me it seemed all he could do was tell lies. He seemed more like a manipulator and would only come defeat you after you are already pretty much finished.

It seems like most of the arguments against Sauron in this thread derive from his movie incarnation.

In the novel, it took Gil-galad and Elendil working together to bring down the Dark Lord, after he'd cut his way through the Last Alliance from Barad-dur to Mount Doom. Elrond says that they were the only ones who dared stand against him in the final battle on the slopes of the Mountain, and it ended with Elendil's death and Gil-galad's destruction. Isildur only cut the Ring from Sauron's broken body, before the Ring-Lord could regain strength.

Sauron takes this, no contest. He's described as the greatest servant of Melkor and the most potent being in Middle-Earth in the Third Age (Gandalf the White says as much.) It takes things he genuinely has no control over to get the drop on him.

Huan? Luthien managed to make Sauron stumble before he could strike her, giving Huan the opening he needed. It's worth noting that the same effect put Sauron's master into a deep sleep.

The Last Alliance? He took on the two (or five, depending on your interpretation) greatest superhumans on Middle-Earth in open combat and it ended in MAD. Prior to that he'd all but erased the Elvish presence on Middle-Earth following the War of the Elves and Sauron.

Third Age? The Ring was only destroyed through sheer luck. Frodo failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post

Long ago in Lord of the Rings, a powerful god called Melkor decided to turn bad. He renamed himself Morgoth. Before Morgoth existed, the universe was perfect. Evil as a concept did not exist. He is the source of all evil everywhere. Every bad thought, every bit of anger, every negative emotion or deed, it all comes from Morgoth. He created evil as a concept, he is pure evil.

The dark side of the force is not magical, it is science, and has been explained as such multiple times in Star Wars lore. If Morgoth and Star Wars existed in the same universe, that means Morgoth created the dark side of the force.

He has ultimate dominion over all evil. He can make the dark side not exist anymore. He can take away Vader's anger, the source of his strength. Vader is such a fearful creature he would become a servant of Morgoth upon laying eyes on him.With the one ring, Sauron = Morgoth. Vader would instantly lose his will to fight, and worship Sauron, because he IS the dark side.

TL: DR Sauron is literally Vader's god.
    I guess it all comes down to which universe the 1-on-1 combat takes place then. If it takes place in a universe where the very concept of evil and power are bestowed upon a single magical being with magical powers, and all those powers are bestowed, in a single ring, to one character - then yes, that one character will win. You're essentially saying "In a 1v1 between the most powerful being in creation and X, who would win?"

But, if the combat was to take place in a realistic universe, where concepts such as emotion are internal, not externally influenced and/or created, then Vader would win. Vader, as defined by his trilogy, beats Sauron, as defined by his trilogy.

Sauron would win in his Universe, only because it defines internal concepts, such as emotion, and portions of nature, to be under the control of a singular all powerful being (who, it must be said, is not all-powerful enough to actually not get himself killed).

Vader would win in his Universe through strength and control of natural elements, not require "... and a Wizard did it" to become all powerful, and still be the only person strong enough to defeat himself.

Put them in our universe, and Vader still wins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

10+ Year Old Account
    But darth vader has a red light saber

10+ Year Old Account
    1v1 it would easily be Vader. He can see Sauron's attacks before they happen, he can move any object (including sauron himself) with the force, and he has a lightsaber.

Step 1) rip Sauron's weapon out of his hand with the force
    Step 2) cut off Sauron's hand

Now after this fight is where Vader would probly fail. Vader, being easily tempted by power, would most likely keep the ring instead of destroying it, which would get him in the long run.