Deciding on a new GPU

Hey Mmo-Champion computer enthusiasts!

I'm wondering if i should buy
    MSI GeForce GTX 580 Lightning Edition http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=17070
    or
    MSI GeForce GTX 580 3GB Lightning Extreme Edition http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=18698

I can afford both, and my computer can easily support both. just cant decide on which one to go, i will end go going sli within the next 2-3 months probably,but if I don't id like to know which one would be better. I currently run a 22" screen, going to upgrade to 2 screens in about 1-2months.
    Thank you in advance.

10+ Year Old Account
    If bf3 is on the list go for the 3GB

Yea, i play all kind of games, especially BF3 (Love it so much haha) i plan on playing Skyrim, and all up coming games.

10+ Year Old Account
    As you can afford the extreme edition, go for it.

BF3 eats up VRAM like crazy. Chances are Skyrim will not though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arisfarreach View Post
    As you can afford the extreme edition, go for it.

BF3 eats up VRAM like crazy. Chances are Skyrim will not though.
    I've no doubt almost anyone's rig will run Skyrim. Thing is in dx9 and a console port, praying someone makes a couple of graphical mods in the first month:P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    I've no doubt almost anyone's rig will run Skyrim. Thing is in dx9 and a console port, praying someone makes a couple of graphical mods in the first month:P
    I have to admit, I was blown away by how low the recommended system requirements were. I can't wait to try it out and see how good/poor it actually looks. (Either way... Gameplay > Graphics)

OT: BF3 won't even max out the 1.5GB on a stock 580, but like I said, you can afford the extreme edition so there's really no reason to not get it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arisfarreach View Post
    I have to admit, I was blown away by how low the recommended system requirements were. I can't wait to try it out and see how good/poor it actually looks. (Either way... Gameplay > Graphics)

OT: BF3 won't even max out the 1.5GB on a stock 580, but like I said, you can afford the extreme edition so there's really no reason to not get it.
    The one advantage of console ports. If not TOOO lazy about porting it games can still look decent on older hardware. PC's don't get their hardware pushed anything like shoehorning something modern into a 360 does.

Wait a few months, then the 680gtx will come out, it will be 1.5x the 580.

Wait till then, and get a 580 for cheaper or get the 680 if you can afford it.

Looking for a casual weekend raiding guild - pref AU times for working people><

Quote Originally Posted by Gooricy View Post
    Wait a few months, then the 680gtx will come out, it will be 1.5x the 580.

Wait till then, and get a 580 for cheaper or get the 680 if you can afford it.
    I don't think we'll see 50% improvement in the next gen.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    I don't think we'll see 50% improvement in the next gen.
    http://kksonakiya.hubpages.com/hub/N...ed-and-Updated

It's "rumored" to be 2-3 as fast as the Fermi cards. Of course, it might not be that much after all, but it sure should be at least 50% faster.

Is it worth waiting out for a 600 series, any idea the pricing different, or even when they will be released if its going to be late q1, early q2, or something around that id rather not wait it out. My current Nvidia 470 is slowly dieing :S

Fuzzeekee
    If you are serious the 3GB framebuffer is going to make a big difference. BF3 has a lot of post processing. The higher post processing you put into your game (ie. AA, AF, etc) it will soak up your video memory/frame buffer quite quickly. On really old cards, the trick is to not use much post processing and set the resolution to a resonable rate. You can get away with 1680x1050-1920x1080 quite easily as long as you tone down the effects. Good luck man ...I feel surprised as I only have a 240$ radeon HD 6950 2GB !

This is what I would do personally.... I would not waste money on a 580 series...Your 470 isn't too bad. You should wait for the next series of nvidia GPUs so you can use that money to buy a card with bragging rights. I have so many things to buy IRL and if I was bored I'd probably think of something like you did now. In fact, I just bought a new DSP/preamp rackmount unit for my vox tonelab and hope to get back into guitar!

RANDOM: I wish I had that much money. I'd have this guys LMAO looooooook! http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/...795&Prod=XUPV5 <<< CUSTOM 8 core CPU design > and this isn't new, this is an old board...What I would do is have off-processing that could reconfigure itself in real time based on the software running on my desktop. Like they do with the virtex 6 in supercomputer clusters. So many transceivers and DSP blocks you'd pee your heathcliff shortz over it. Dwarf voice: "Wud ya luk at that. sixteehn 6.5 Gb/s transceivelr blecks."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Creotor View Post
    http://kksonakiya.hubpages.com/hub/N...ed-and-Updated

It's "rumored" to be 2-3 as fast as the Fermi cards. Of course, it might not be that much after all, but it sure should be at least 50% faster.
    It own't be that much faster. 50% would be an insane jump to being with. If every year graphics quality rise by 20-25%, then they'd have made a card that would nullify their 700 series if released too soon. I'd say maybe a 20% boost on 560 ti, and a 25% on 680 at most.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You guys are still speculating on how well the cards will run. You can wait x months for the new cards, but then there will be new stuff in another few months. Get a better card now if you need it, if you don't skip it.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    You guys are still speculating on how well the cards will run. You can wait x months for the new cards, but then there will be new stuff in another few months. Get a better card now if you need it, if you don't skip it.
    There's waiting too long and waiting long enough. The jump in the 600 series should be enough to warrant waiting if there's not real rush. The 700 series won't be along for another year after, as it stands it'll be January/February for the 600.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fair point, there will always be something coming along sometime. But there will be better and worse times to buy. I am in a similar dilemma, new games out that won't really run on my existing card, but don't want to buy a new one yet. When the new cards start sampling, and then start shipping (possibly in several months time, depending on yield) then the price of current cards will instantly drop. It is how the market works, a new card comes in at the top price slot, pushing everything down one. This means that Today's expensive cards will become cheaper overnight. I am holding off to see what the first hardware reviews say.