Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    The prices can vary a bit, too. I bought a Crucial M4 for $185 a few weeks ago.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphorism View Post
    The prices can vary a bit, too. I bought a Crucial M4 for $185 a few weeks ago.
    I got mine for like $230 back in June. lol
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

How much headroom does the TX850M on the $2500 build, enough for a decent overclock and then some, or is it cutting it tight? Ordering a very similar build in the next couple of days and can't decide between going with the AX850/TX850M or the HX1050 because I really have no clue what I need.

Deleted
    Updated with three new builds: 650, 850 and 1200. Also did some minor updates on the other builds. Comments are welcome.

Budget Gaming 650
    MoBo: MSI P67S-C43$89.99
    CPU: Intel i5 2500k$219.99
    RAM: G.Skill 1600MHz Ripjaws 2x2Gb$29.99
    GPU: XFX Radeon 6870$169.99
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500Gb$54.99
    PSU: Corsair CX500 V2$59.99
    Case: Xigmatek Asgard II$29.99 Review

Estimated Total Price – $655

Recommended for:
    Strong budget gaming build that can tackle
    most newer games. Has a fairly nice upgrade
    path as well.

Gaming 850
    MoBo: MSI P67A-G43$109.99 Review
    RAM: G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz 2x4GB$54.99
    GPU: ASUS DCII Radeon 6950$289.99
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 1TB$59.99
    PSU: XFX CoreEdition PRO 550W$69.99 Review
    Case: Xigmatek Utgard$59.99

Estimated Total Price – $864

Recommended for:
    Gaming build that will take care of almost
    all gaming needs; will exceed in most games
    but lacks the power to cope with really
    demanding titles at max settings.

Gaming 1200
    MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H$159.99 Review
    RAM: G.Skill Sniper 1600Mhz 2x4Gb$54.99
    GPU: ASUS DCII GTX 580$499.99
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 1TB$59.99
    PSU: Corsair TX550M$99.99 Review
    Heatsink: Corsair A70$38.00 Review
    Case: CM 690 II Advanced$89.99

Estimated Total Price – $1223

Recommended for:
    Very strong gaming build that will take care
    of most gaming needs. Will handle most newer
    titles at max or close to max settings given
    a resolution of 1080p.

Your HDD prices are going to be very very inaccurate for the next several months (I've heard as many as 8 months).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphorism View Post
    Your HDD prices are going to be very very inaccurate for the next several months (I've heard as many as 8 months).
    I doubt it will last for 8 months. In either case, I'm well aware of the fluctuation in prices concerning certain HDDs. However, in the past months prices have changed weekly (or even daily) and I don't have the time (or the will) to update prices that often. I'll definitely keep an eye on it, but don't expect to have weekly updates where I accumulate for the fluctuations. Besides, the prices seem to differ a lot depending on country and store.

Deleted
    Added a new build (Budget Gaming 400) and scaled down the Family PC to "350" (and yes, I know the HDD price is way off):

Family/Entry PC 350
    MoBo: ASRock A55M-HVS FM1$58.99
    CPU: AMD Llano A8-3850$139.99
    RAM: Patriot Viper 1866MHz 2x2Gb$39.99
    HDD: WD Caviar Blue 500Gb$44.99
    PSU: Enermax NAXN 350W$44.99
    Case: Rosewill R101$29.99 Review

Estimated Total Price – $359
    Recommended for:
    Office work; e-mail, browsing, writing. Entry
    level gaming. Potent family computer. Small
    and compact.

Extreme Budget Gaming 400
    MoBo: MSI H61M-P21 (B3)$59.99
    CPU: Intel Pentium G840$84.99
    RAM: Kingston Value 1333MHz 2x2GB$23.99
    GPU: XFX Radeon 6770$109.99
    HDD: WD Caviar Blue 500Gb$44.99
    PSU: Antec EarthWatts 430W$39.99
    Case: NZXT Gamma Classic$35.99 Review

Estimated Total Price – $400

Recommended for:
    Budget gaming build that can handle most
    newer games. Offers great value for money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looking forward to seeing what you add for SB-E builds once all of that is released. Could get some killer rigs up here.
    "A flower.

Fuzzeekee
    I recommend adding possibly a 6950 1GB or 2GB version in there according to this, if the user wants the option, even though the 560 TI is a WONDERFUL BUY.
    I paid around 250$ for my 6950 2GB (powercolor one, and the cooler is decent.)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ce,3042-4.html

AMD dropped half of the on-board memory from its reference Radeon HD 6950 to give us this 1 GB model, and the price fell accordingly. At $240, there really isn't any competition for this powerful, yet conservatively-priced graphics card. It outperforms the GeForce GTX 560 Ti in enough situations, on average, to score the recommendation at this price poin

Getting the good coolers with the HD 6950, over the GTX 560 ti models, is going to be slightly more expensive. So while the HD 6950 has a bit more juice to offer (nestled between the GTX 560 ti and the 570), the GTX 560 ti is going to be distinctly cheaper with the same cooler.

Well, usually anyway. The pricepoints are going to float up and down and sometimes there will be some awesome offers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzeekee View Post
    I recommend adding possibly a 6950 1GB or 2GB version in there according to this, if the user wants the option, even though the 560 TI is a WONDERFUL BUY.
    *cough* look at the 850 build *cough*

The aim is to include as many different manufacturers as possible, and therein lies the task to represent nVidia and AMD equally. Right now there are 7 (5 if you don't count Llano and Fusion) builds with AMD graphics, and 5 builds with nVidia. That is equal representation.

The 6950 1GB and the 6950 2GB are about equal in performance (or rather, they are equal) but the reason why the 2GB card is represented is because it is more common and more future proof as 1GB vRAM is starting to be a limitation even at 1080p with current titles (e.g. Battlefield 3).

Drunken also presents a valid point.

Fuzzeekee
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    *cough* look at the 850 build *cough*

The aim is to include as many different manufacturers as possible, and therein lies the task to represent nVidia and AMD equally. Right now there are 7 (5 if you don't count Llano and Fusion) builds with AMD graphics, and 5 builds with nVidia. That is equal representation.

The 6950 1GB and the 6950 2GB are about equal in performance (or rather, they are equal) but the reason why the 2GB card is represented is because it is more common and more future proof as 1GB vRAM is starting to be a limitation even at 1080p with current titles (e.g. Battlefield 3).

Drunken also presents a valid point.
    I was talking about your 750 build. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102949 <<<good cooler not using reference design. ALSO your 850 build has the ASUS directCU cooler which is only justifiable for OCing or if I guess you like huge 3 slot coolers/special cooling needs? ...

This is the one I own. I am in vancouver. I paid this price for it: http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=60...r&promoid=1287 (244$, 2GB radeon HD 6950) ...Right now it's easily sitting at around 42C and barely goes up playing WoW. Ultra settings on BF3 for this card push the fan speed up more, but it's not noisey or as hot as people think.

I highly suggest adding that in as an option. The cooler is just as good as the one on the 560 TI you linked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Power Color isn't quite as mainstream as MSI and Asus, to be quite honest. A lot of people have not heard of Power Color, however know MSI and Asus very well, I would rather buy an MSI or Asus branded product precisely for this reason, because they are brands that are well known and trusted, and they are in that regard for me, as well.
    "A flower.

I know most coolers are okay, but I'm not going to bite on the idea that Powercooler = awesome. Sad to say, they're not a well-known manufacturer, so I don't have much data to go on.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    I know most coolers are okay, but I'm not going to bite on the idea that Powercooler = awesome. Sad to say, they're not a well-known manufacturer, so I don't have much data to go on.
    I agree with this. MSi's coolers and ASUS coolers are pretty much the best for cooling to offer. I, myself, have an EVGA card because, well, I liked it. If I was overly concerned with cooling I would have a Twin Frozr.

Fuzzeekee
    The sapphire 6950 one was 239$ ...224$ after rebate. <<<The one I suggest adding to the 750$ build as an option beside the 560 TI.

I did not link you the powercolor one to put in the build, that one is MINE. I was going to get a sapphire 2GB but it was out of stock. ...Also I've been using power color GPUs for 10 years now, if you've never heard of them before.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzeekee View Post
    The sapphire 6950 one was 239$ ...224$ after rebate. <<<The one I suggest adding to the 750$ build as an option beside the 560 TI.

I did not link you the powercolor one to put in the build, that one is MINE. I was going to get a sapphire 2GB but it was out of stock. ...Also I've been using power color GPUs for 10 years now, if you've never heard of them before.
    No one is denying how long Power Color has been around for or trying to dispute how long you've owned their cards, that's great, but it still does not change the fact that they are not a well-known brand to the mainstream public.

Different brands come and go from the spotlight, right now the main ones in the spotlight are MSI and Asus with EVGA and Gigabyte following them up as the honorable mentions.

Some brands that used to be in the spotlight but are not anymore whether because they just suck for GPUs, are not huge, or have gone out of business, are for instance: Power Color, BFG Tech, PNY, Sapphire, HIS, etc.

Imo, Power Color, Sapphire, and HIS fit in the "not a huge company" group.
    PNY goes in "sucks" group. ;P (For GPUs, I trust PNY as a good company, however!)
    And BFG Tech obviously went bankrupt and no longer exists.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    If I was to add options to every single sample build in that list they would be flooded with parts. For a $750 price point, one can choose anything from a 6770 to a Radeon 6950/GTS 450 to a GTX 560 Ti; listing all options would just make it extremely messy. There is a reason why the introductory text suggest that a specific thread should be created for more detailed advise for that specific user.

Just imagine if I was to add suggestions regarding motherboard, CPU, GPU, HDD, case and PSU to every build.

These are sample builds, not strict "use these parts for this price point at all cost" builds. They are here for the average user; the specific user might need personal advice and input regarding specific parts. As such, I will not add in a list of "suggestions".

Also as I stated earlier, the builds are designed to represent most of the well-known and reliable manufacturers in an equal fashion; that's why I for example choose to mix up the AMD and nVidia GPUs.

To add to that, Sapphire is not a manufacturer I would choose to support personally. They are alright, but below average.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-11-06 at 04:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It would also be a grand waste of your time Marest, what with prices changing every now and then, rebates, sales at different websites, and the impending 7xxx/6xx GPUs.... I like the thread, Marest.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    It would also be a grand waste of your time Marest, what with prices changing every now and then, rebates, sales at different websites, and the impending 7xxx/6xx GPUs.... I like the thread, Marest.
    I salivate just THINKING about the HD7XXX series... I'm going to have my first top-end GPU ever in the HD7970 when it's released... I can taste that delicious 28nm die with 2GB of XDR2... om nom nom.

Also, for the record: That huge, 3-slot DirectCU II cooler on the 6950 (and others) is not just for overclocking (which doesn't reduce the life of your video card), but it's also one of the quietest GPU coolers out there. If noise is a big thing, then you'll want the quietest cooler you can get (or you'll just spring for a custom block/loop), so boards like the MSI Twin Frozr III and ASUS DirectCU II are a no-brainer. Also, PowerColor has been around for a long time, but their QA is rather poor... but they're cheap, so they're relatively popular among budget gamers. Though, if I had a choice between the two cheapest manufacturers, PowerColor and Sapphire, I'd choose Sapphire (like you were going to), just because their QA is superior.

Though, I'm an XFX Loyalist, so... (despite what others have said, I've never had any issues with their customer service.)

Edit: Also, great suggestions, Marest
    Last edited by Cantii; 2011-11-06 at 05:08 PM.