Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    There are for sure avoidance animations, I've not seen any flinching ones to note of though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find this thread rather, shallow and pedantic

10+ Year Old Account
    Bloody Bamboo Forrest of Eternal Nightmares
    Quote Originally Posted by Thornstar View Post
    Your probably watching the 2 year old videos that everyone sees then comments on. Please watch this video and tell me combat is "Stiff"
    http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/voidstar-warzone
    Stills looks clunky to me...I still agree with the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Raeli View Post
    There are for sure avoidance animations, I've not seen any flinching ones to note of though.
    22 seconds into the second video that Trolls posted. Very obvious flinch from damage taken.

In most of the videos I've seen the combat was "stiff" because the people playing were keyboard turning, skeying all over the place and clicking. Watching someone who doesn't do those things makes for a much more fluid video.

Quote Originally Posted by krono957 View Post
    I find this thread rather, shallow and pedantic
    Indeed, shallow and pedantic.

Look at the source material they are working from, in all the lightsabre combat in the prequals, any time someone gets a hit it acts more like baseball bat than a cutting tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaellen View Post
    22 seconds into the second video that Trolls posted. Very obvious flinch from damage taken.
    I'll take another look!

Quote Originally Posted by Thriod View Post
    Indeed, shallow and pedantic.
    Yes, quite.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormgnoef View Post
    The combat feels like Wow witch is realy good.The only thing Blizzard did right was combat and how smooth it looks.
    Rofl, posts like this are hilarious.

Some of these TOR fans blow my mind.

---------- Post added 2011-11-07 at 12:15 PM ----------

Your probably watching the 2 year old videos that everyone sees then comments on. Please watch this video and tell me combat is "Stiff"
    Even that doesn't sell the game for me, not to mention parts of it are clearly cinematics.

Quote Originally Posted by Xandel View Post
    Just today I started looking into SWTOR watching videos and stuff. I like the overall style of the graphics, but when it comes to combat it looks really clunky.

I'm not talking about the mechanics, but the looks of it. The animation for itself dont look that bad but they seem terribly clipped together. The bodies look very cramped and there is no response to taking damage at all.

If you see somone fast altering directions it looks very strange and there is no "in combat alertness stance" , and no dynamic at all. People are jogging around around like on a sunday morning and get shot by lasers as if it would be nothing.

I dont think i can get the right feeling of "Battle action" from the looks of the Videos. Combat looks sooooooo dull in this game, i dont get how they can mess this up so much.

For many this might only be cosmetically, but in my opinion animation is the key to the right feeling for your character (not so much the graphics), and so far what ive seen is very disappointing.
    Bioware made the decision a while back to slow combat a little so that each animation plays out before the next starts, and that they all match up. This allows for smoother action when it comes to things like seeing sabers hitting eachother, or sabers blocking laser bolts.

EDIt: You can adjust your companion so that you have full control of their abilities as well as your own. However I've been told that trying to control both is insane and not really applicable.

Quote Originally Posted by Xandel View Post
    Just today I started looking into SWTOR watching videos and stuff. I like the overall style of the graphics, but when it comes to combat it looks really clunky.

I'm not talking about the mechanics, but the looks of it. The animation for itself dont look that bad but they seem terribly clipped together. The bodies look very cramped and there is no response to taking damage at all.

If you see somone fast altering directions it looks very strange and there is no "in combat alertness stance" , and no dynamic at all. People are jogging around around like on a sunday morning and get shot by lasers as if it would be nothing.

I dont think i can get the right feeling of "Battle action" from the looks of the Videos. Combat looks sooooooo dull in this game, i dont get how they can mess this up so much.

For many this might only be cosmetically, but in my opinion animation is the key to the right feeling for your character (not so much the graphics), and so far what ive seen is very disappointing.
    One thing that might contribute to the "stiff" look is the casting animations and blasting animations are really one dimensional. A sith inq doesn't have any channeling animation other than standing there, no dramatic upper body movement or anything. Most of the blaster shots are taken from a generic stance. I think to get the more "I'm in the fight" feel you want to be melee in this game, the ranged class animations so far don't give you that feel. Especially the casters, they are probably the worst, they really lack exaggerated channel/casting/shooting animations to back up their static Pew Pewing.

The upper bodies look really stiff when running as well and there is something about jumping that no game other than WoW seems to have gotten right.

But to be fair pretty much ALL combat videos I've seen has way too much keyboard turners playing. I mean as soon as I see a ranged class "backpedaling" I tell myself of course this doesn't look that intense. Especially the bioWare movies are notoriously orchestrated to highlight only what they want to highlight which makes really generic and stale videos.
    One can only imagine what real combat against non-keyboard turning people would be like.

I tend to think its a mix of players in videos who like to backpedal and the fact that almost half the classes seem to be ranged but don't have any cool ranged animation to make it look combat intensive that give you the feeling combat looks stiff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flimsy View Post

---------- Post added 2011-11-07 at 12:15 PM ----------

Even that doesn't sell the game for me, not to mention parts of it are clearly cinematics.
    He has a point though, aside from making mmorpgs accessible to the vast majority of gamers today, casual gamers, the only thing truly remarkable about WoW, and in many regards unreached by other mmos, is the fluidity and responsiveness of the combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Flimsy View Post

I find it funny that you continue to come to the sub forums just to include your distaste for the game....that these forums are designed to discuss.

Everyone knows that you don't like the game and are anxiously anticipating the next installment of pokemon panda monks, so go back to the MoP forums.

OT: You can't judge the combat animations by looking at random videos you found on the internet. Lots of things go into account for this:

- What build they were playing
    - Players skill
    - Lag/latency (beta is beta)
    - Rig setup with video recording

The combat is as fluid is WoW's, when it comes down to it, this is all that matters.

Animation can come afterwards for all i care as long as it plays and feels good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jearle View Post
    I find it funny that you continue to come to the sub forums just to include your distaste for the game....that these forums are designed to discuss.

Everyone knows that you don't like the game and are anxiously anticipating the next installment of pokemon panda monks, so go back to the MoP forums.

OT: You can't judge the combat animations by looking at random videos you found on the internet. Lots of things go into account for this:

- Players skill

The combat is as fluid is WoW's, when it comes down to it, this is all that matters.

Animation can come afterwards for all i care as long as it plays and feels good.

She is scared. That's why she comes here all the time. She is scared for her precious WoW, yet she doesn't realize that TOR being succesful will make Blizzard more inclined to rev up their development, thus creating a better WoW for her.

I mean why else bother?
    Of lips of splendor and tongues of deceit

Doesn't look very good for a game with so many colors and lights. The actual characters look like CoD bodies with lightning flying out of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skatblast View Post
    Fake and Gay
    They never said it was real and heterosexual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by giowatcher View Post
    CoD bodies with lightning flying out of them
    O.o

You and I must be playing very different CoD games. I've never once seen lightning fly out of someone's body in CoD.

Quote Originally Posted by giowatcher View Post
    Doesn't look very good for a game with so many colors and lights. The actual characters look like CoD bodies with lightning flying out of them.
    Maybe its cause I just woke up, but this post doesn't make much sense.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saintphoenix View Post
    this games combat owns wows
    I clicked on this thread just waiting for this response.

Anyway, of the little I've had access to seeing, I'm not too impressed by the combat either.

Maybe I just expected something different.

---------- Post added 2011-11-07 at 05:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by link064 View Post
    O.o

You and I must be playing very different CoD games. I've never once seen lightning fly out of someone's body in CoD.
    You're reading it wrong dude.

"Like cod bodies, but with lightning flying out of them"

Deleted
    lols at the end of that video

dudes are killin each other and that one guy is like *tap tap* checkin his facebook

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jearle View Post

- Players skill

The irony in your first statement, Im keeping on topic and agreeing with the OP that the combat looks stiff what's wrong with that? after all as you put it this is a place for discussion.

I have nothing against this game other than its not for me I wont be playing it, my reactions in threads like this are from TOR fans who talk complete rubbish, for instance the post I made that you decided to quote, the TOR fan was talking complete shit so I just gave my opinion.

''The combat feels like Wow witch is realy good.The only thing Blizzard did right was combat and how smooth it looks.''

That's the statement that I replied to that you decided to quote, surely even the biggest TOR fan on the planet can see that's utter bollocks.
    Last edited by mmoceeceb76e25; 2011-11-07 at 04:40 PM.