Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Elemental shaman haste

Hey, im wondering if it is possible to get lightning bolt to be a 1.5 sec cast, I think that would be a good dps increase. My current ilvl is 376, not fully bis. Any pointers?

in my case, im sitting at 1,58 right now with 2653 rating (380ilvl)

so i guess it will be possible, maybe with +/- 3000 rating
    Last edited by Spiel; 2011-11-11 at 12:13 AM.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    yeh, my guess is that it will be possible with 4.3. I have something like that aswell on my LB.. should get it to 1.55(4) or somthing to make it a 1.5 sec cast I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by NoManual View Post
    yeh, my guess is that it will be possible with 4.3. I have something like that aswell on my LB.. should get it to 1.55(4) or somthing to make it a 1.5 sec cast I suppose.

....plus latency.

Deleted
    Hey, im wondering if it is possible to get lightning bolt to be a 1.5 sec cast, I think that would be a good dps increase. My current ilvl is 376, not fully bis. Any pointers?
    376 is not only "not fully bis" but it's nowhere close .... well, im 379 and I got 1 BiS item >.< (dmc:v - lol )

There's no breakpoint where your LB's cast time magically increases DPS over any other point. Haste will always have a high amount of value until you hit the GCD cap. You don't shoot for 1.5s, just stack as much haste as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by PHsname View Post
    There's no breakpoint where your LB's cast time magically increases DPS over any other point. Haste will always have a high amount of value until you hit the GCD cap. You don't shoot for 1.5s, just stack as much haste as you can.
    how much haste is too much? as in should I just socket +40 haste gems over the int or just go for reforges? This is my OS as I am MS Resto

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Purenight View Post
    how much haste is too much? as in should I just socket +40 haste gems over the int or just go for reforges? This is my OS as I am MS Resto
    Never gem for secondary stats unless its a purple/orange/green gem for a socket bonus that's worth it (in this current expansion at least)

Quote Originally Posted by Purenight View Post
    I highly doubt it. You do it with reforging and enchants where no int is available.

Deleted
    ilvl 381 with 6 BiS 391 items, the 378 rep belt and DMC:V and I'm sitting on 2796 rating (21,83%) which gives me an LB cast time of 1.64 sec (1.56sec with WoA). The biggest itemization issue, from my point of view, this patch was that A LOT of the BiS ele gear had crit rating on it. I'm already sitting on 22% crit and it's gonna go up even more with the boots from shannox and cloak from alice.

Anyway to answer your question, yes it is possible but you have to have alot of BiS items. But I suggest you aim for an extra FS tick first (1423 & 2781 rating, with WoA ofc)

From wowpedia on casting speed:
    Haste Rating needed at level 85 = ((Base Cast Time / Desired Cast Time) - 1) * 128,125 * 100

Haste Rating needed at level 85 = ((2 sec / 1,5 sec) - 1) * 128,125 * 100

So I'm guessing around 4270 haste rating (without totem - 3630 with) - so not exactly right around the corner
    Last edited by Darcam; 2011-11-11 at 12:53 PM.

The question is:
    Why do you want it at 1.5 seconds? That's not even the GCD, it's just an arbitrary number. You could also aim for 1.4, or 1.3 seconds.
    There is no breakpoint where Lightning Bolt with a specific cast-time does more damage then before.

Haste never decreases in worth for us, even when LvB reaches the GCD. It's still strong. (Although T13 might change that. 2 and 4piece are some interesting mechanics.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Genganger View Post
    Often I just open the fridge instead of turning the lights on in the kitchen. I like that.

Deleted
    If you disccus about haste on elemental, I have olso some question:

It is a problem if your lightning bolt cast time is < 1 sec?
    If the first question is true then we must take in consideration that with BL not to reach that point?

I have 383 item lvl, with 20.80% haste without totem, so with totem and BL I cast LB in 1.2 second + elemental mastery i cast LB in 1 second.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcam View Post
    So I'm guessing around 4270 haste rating (without totem - 3630 with) - so not exactly right around the corner
    You are slightly off there, the 5% haste from totem is not additive but multiplicative so basically you need less than 3630

like my math is really rusty so anyone here who can correct me feel free but here are some rough calculations

4270/128,125 = ~33

So you need ~33% haste for 1,5 second cast

so we want to know how much haste % we need for it to be 1,5sec with the totem.

If we take 1,33/1,05 = 1,2666....

Which tells us that you need 26,66...% haste in order to achieve 33% haste with WoA Totem

also if you care 26.7% haste = 3420,9

so 3421 haste rating

Quote Originally Posted by boboit View Post
    If you disccus about haste on elemental, I have olso some question:

It is a problem if your lightning bolt cast time is < 1 sec?
    If the first question is true then we must take in consideration that with BL not to reach that point?

I have 383 item lvl, with 20.80% haste without totem, so with totem and BL I cast LB in 1.2 second + elemental mastery i cast LB in 1 second.
    Well, I wouldn't gear around EM + BL. The timespan of both spells active at the same time is too short to make a difference.
    I guess it's still worth to pop both at the same time, because of the bonus damage of EM.

I'm pretty sure the general rule about haste and elemental is:
    There are no hastecaps.
    1 sec LvB has no influence on the worth of haste.
    FS-plateaus have no influence either.
    1 sec LB might have an influence, but 3421 haste is too much to reach for the average shaman.
    Often I just open the fridge instead of turning the lights on in the kitchen. I like that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralIdea View Post
    ilvl 381 with 6 BiS 391 items, the 378 rep belt and DMC:V and I'm sitting on 2796 rating (21,83%) which gives me an LB cast time of 1.64 sec (1.56sec with WoA). The biggest itemization issue, from my point of view, this patch was that A LOT of the BiS ele gear had crit rating on it. I'm already sitting on 22% crit and it's gonna go up even more with the boots from shannox and cloak from alice.

Anyway to answer your question, yes it is possible but you have to have alot of BiS items. But I suggest you aim for an extra FS tick first (1423 & 2781 rating, with WoA ofc)
    FYI extra ticks are only worth it, if you let FS run off

Deleted
    i'm at ilvl381 aswell, and my haste is 2886 (22.54%) without WoA, cast time of LB = arround 1.6 and 13ticks of FS. With WoA 28.66% haste = 1.54 LB cast and FS also ticks for 13 so to get a extra tick is allot harder! with heroism it ticks 16-17 times sounds like mission impossible to get 14ticks out of FS

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Enaina View Post
    FYI extra ticks are only worth it, if you let FS run off
    What? No. Extra ticks are always valuable, and you should always be refreshing FS during the final tick. Letting FS run off is a terrible idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    What? No. Extra ticks are always valuable, and you should always be refreshing FS during the final tick. Letting FS run off is a terrible idea.
    What's the best add-on to track dot-ticks? Forte?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pope View Post
    What's the best add-on to track dot-ticks? Forte?
    I don't know about "best"; I used to use Powerauras (my old aura set is still linked from my FAQ), but it had limited ways to display the CD. I've since switched to Weakauras, since it's basically Powerauras with the addition of cooldown progress bars. I do recommend Weakauras, but I don't have a publishable aura set as of yet for it. I'm hoping to release that shortly after 4.3 hits, but if anyone wants to set up their own, it's not too bad. The biggest issue with Weakauras is that it's incredibly flexible, meaning there's a LOT of possible options and things to tweak, which can be daunting.

What you want in a DoT tracker, IMO, is a bar-style display, with a numerical countdown as well. A nice additional feature would be a system that displays tickmarks that dynamically adjust to your tick length; ForteExorcist might have that, and I'm going to try and see if I can get it to work for Weakauras. Even without that, it's not too difficult to remember to refresh around the 2s mark before it falls off.