Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I'm waiting for the recruit a friend trial. I'm not willing to put out $60 on a game I may not like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    based solely on the promotional material, yes.
    But then again, its the purpose of promotional material. I tryed it, stopped playing after 15 mins of beta testing. Is a god damn mmo, just like all the other ones. Gathering quest, killing quest, assembling quest. If you stoped playing WoW, another mmo wont cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairm View Post
    But then again, its the purpose of promotional material. I tryed it, stopped playing after 15 mins of beta testing. Is a god damn mmo, just like all the other ones. Gathering quest, killing quest, assembling quest. If you stoped playing WoW, another mmo wont cut it.
    15 minutes is not enough to get the bearing on any game. I only tossed in "based on promotional materials" because I'm not allowed to discuss my beta experience.

If you want to give a good gift, avoid MMOs. It may lack staying power, other costs come along with MMOs, and if the person like the game, then there is the subscription fee.

I would avoid buying MMOs as gifts, but maybe that is just me

You mean just like almost every single FPS is the same, how fighting games are all almost the same, etc. MMOs are not the only genre of games out there with their "clones" and there's plenty of reason to play different MMOs even if you played WoW.

what i can say withouy breaking nda is that you gonna like it if you like mmorpg's it's just some fresh air to the style but keeping the basics

I honestly don't think ANY subscription based game should cost the same price as a standard title, something around $35-$40 seems more reasonable for stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    The wife is asking what I want for Christmas and I am giving serious thought to asking for this game. For those that have actually played the game (in beta, at expose, etc) do you think it is worth the cost?

I'd like to avoid hypotheticals and speculation based on youtube videos that anyone has access to so I'd like to hear from those who have actually played.

Also, I am not a WoW player and never going back (characters deleted, account given away) so no TOR vs WoW please.
    Good fresh breath of air to current MMO's. The voice acting and story line are pretty good and if you like Star Wars even better since there is lots of lore in there. I can see myself leveling multiple alts just to see the stories of each class. The game has a very casual feel to it and the MMO part is kinda more of a bonus or something you could totally ignore if you wanted.

If you like RPGs and Star Wars at some point one should buy this game and play it through.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggoman View Post
    Good fresh breath of air to current MMO's.
    Pretty much the reason I am looking forward to SWTOR.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamburger View Post
    No one that has played is allowed to tell you anything about it. Other than that they have played it.
    Yep, much as I'd like to answer you here the mods would just delete it and/or start swingin the banhammer.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

To me it's definitely worth it; the questing and voice acting alone adds much more depth and involvement to the game, even more than I thought it would have (I was a skeptic originally, but am definitely convinced it's entirely worth it). I only scratched the surface during beta weekend and am already wanting more, why can't release come sooner...

Just make sure to temper your expectations though, it does share quite a few similarities to WoW, though that's not necessarily a bad thing, as it's always nice to have something familiar while checking out the new stuff.
    Last edited by Shinryu; 2011-11-14 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    The wife is asking what I want for Christmas and I am giving serious thought to asking for this game. For those that have actually played the game (in beta, at expose, etc) do you think it is worth the cost?

I'd like to avoid hypotheticals and speculation based on youtube videos that anyone has access to so I'd like to hear from those who have actually played.

Also, I am not a WoW player and never going back (characters deleted, account given away) so no TOR vs WoW please.
    Easily the best MMO I have ever played (just played a few times at a convention). I obviously can't say anything about it but yes, it is worth your money.
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-11-14 at 06:47 AM.

It will be the best $60 (first month free) you've spent in a long time.

I'm planning on buying it and play for the first month. Essentially going in with the expectation that I'll enjoy it for a while at least, kinda treating it as any other single player game. If I fall in love with it, I'll keep on playing a bit, but I'm not worried about the long run.

Definitely worth the cost in my opinion. But again, that's just my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Certainly worth it, oh my.

Deleted
    15 Minutes aren't enoguh testing. I mean, the story is starting with level 5 or 6, you have to get used to the interface. With level 10, you get a first look at the potential of one of the 16 classes.

So hypothetically, (NDA and so ), the game gets a lot better from a gameplay POV. You can't even argue about it if you aren't level 20 or so, because you didn't even see 0.1% of the game with level 4.
    Last edited by mmoc4ec7d51a68; 2011-11-14 at 09:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your opinion means nothing.

I have played WoW for 5 years and quit Feb this year, never planning to return.

TOR is great considering its in BETA.

Quote Originally Posted by Klatar View Post
    15 Minutes aren't enoguh testing. I mean, the story is starting with level 5 or 6, you have to get used to the interface. With level 10, you get a first look at the potential of one of the 16 classes.

So hypothetically, (NDA and so ), the game gets a lot better from a gameplay POV. You can't even argue about it if you aren't level 20 or so, because you didn't even see 0.1% of the game with level 4.
    Well said Sir!
    -K

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Niter View Post
    If you want to give a good gift, avoid MMOs. It may lack staying power, other costs come along with MMOs, and if the person like the game, then there is the subscription fee.

I would avoid buying MMOs as gifts, but maybe that is just me
    MMOs, the new Puppies. Remember, an MMO's for life, not just for Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by creb99 View Post
    It will all depend on what you like. Myself, I cancelled WoW 4 months ago, pre-ordered SWTOR and luckily got in on the beta. I played up to level 15 with one character and level 7 with another.

Then Bio released a new build and I did not even bother to get it. Cancelled my pre-order as well. And as soon as the NDA is lifted, I will tell you why Let's just say, I will wait for ME3 rather.
    Unless it's a fundamental game mechanic issue, and I mean fundamental one, like the base combat mechanics, or the questing dialogue, this makes little sense, since literally everything else is subject to change in beta. In fact, unless I'm mistaken, everything else HAS changed, repeatedly, in beta.