The Balance DPS on that Simcraft is wrong - Here's why

Yes it's another thread about this: http://www.simulationcraft.org/430/Raid_T12H.html

Balance is way down the bottom for single target on that chart and I think we can all agree that our Single target DPS isn't all that great, however, it's not quite as bad as this chart claims.

If you dig a little deeper into what the person who did that sim has done, you'll quickly notice he is using the wrong items for his "BiS" set up, he's using 3 wrong gems and he hasn't used the JC gems at all, even though he's selected Jewerlcrafter. He is trying to gear for the 2636 haste break point, using the sinestra cloak and a 378 ring... but hasn't selected DI in the buffs section and doesn't even reach 2636 haste because he isn't using DMC:V.

Using http://chardev.org/?profile=267819 this profile of gear, and all other settings the same as his simulation I come out with: 34,485dps which is still a marginal gain.

And on a side note, using http://chardev.org/?profile=267816 this profile with DI, and all other settings the same as his simulation I come out with: 35,595dps.

TLDR: The simcraft guy used the wrong gear/gems and it skewed his results slightly. I'm sure if other specs dig deeper too they'll find stuff wrong too.

Adding: Use wrathcalcs!
    Last edited by Yalingo; 2011-11-15 at 02:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillionhz View Post
    By fiber be purged

the chart on simcraft is not meant to be the end all-be all of how we rank.
    they also have the facility to commit better item lists and action lists.

also make sure you compare with similar buffs. i.e. dont compare a boomkin with DI to a Spriest without DI.

simcraft is a fail when it comes down to moonkins, there nothing right. gear is wrong, rotation is piece of crap etc etc etc. if you want to check your dps you should get wrathcalcs

Yeah that's the point I was getting at. Because these simcraft rankings are so popular tho, my fear is for those boomkins whose raid leaders use this simcraft list as gospel and get sat for single target fights (Happened to me on baelroc).

Also many people who have already seen it began QQing without doing their own testing. It's all over this forum right now.

The DI thing was a side note, even tho simcraft is bad, usually people who don't sim are interested in a rough estimate as to just how much DI / haste breakpoints do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillionhz View Post
    By fiber be purged

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lappee View Post
    simcraft is a fail when it comes down to moonkins, there nothing right. gear is wrong, rotation is piece of crap etc etc etc. if you want to check your dps you should get wrathcalcs

^this

like I've posted several times before, it might work for other classes/specs but it's terrible for moonkins! wrathcalcs is much much more accurate!

now I hope ppl will stop linking stuff from simcraft and whining at our single target dps because it's being calculated wrong.

What exactly do you feel we're modeling wrong with respect to Balance Druids in SimulationCraft?

I've seen mentioned that our BiS gear selection isn't ideal and we're missing some gems etc. This is certainly possible as our BiS profiles are usually done in a rush before a patch goes live. However this doesn't effect modeling per se.

Also there was something about how we're gearing for DI but the main report page doesn't have DI enabled. Sure, this is true. The main Raid_T12.simc profile (the profile we use to generate the main page results of all the specs) doesn't turn on Dark Intent by default. This is because we had people complaining about how their class never gets Dark Intent in raids and thus it's not fair to compare their class with DI on against others in the report. We're not really sure of how to handle satisfying both crowds. The profiles themselves are designed to assume Dark Intent if it's a class that is likely to get it mind you.

As for the rotations, we'd certainly welcome advice on how to change it. All of the rotation info is there in the .simc profile. It's easy enough to understand and play around with to see if you can come up with something better.

But none of what I've discussed effects the modeling itself of the class. Are the any bugs people have noticed or things missing? (Other than Multi-dot support).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larrabee View Post
    ^this

like I've posted several times before, it might work for other classes/specs but it's terrible for moonkins! wrathcalcs is much much more accurate!

now I hope ppl will stop linking stuff from simcraft and whining at our single target dps because it's being calculated wrong.
    Dont think it is the actual simcraft that is making people QQ on forums. alot of classes got some really nice buffs in 4.3, changes in tiers and so on while balance druids is mentioned around 1-2 times only and thats a "minor" pvp buff. t13 set is shit and might force us to use t12 heroic 4set instead. if you then compare single target dps (and even aoe fights) in 4.3 i cant really say im looking forward to it as balance but you never know we might get lucky to get something change (atleast the tier).

Now, if people are good with wrathcalcs then it would be nice if someone had the energy to make one and see what it looks like. i have actually never used it so cant really link anything good! Would be nice without DI/FM since it might be given to SP or other class in 4.3!
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work
    www.twitch.tv/mcitra