Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Lightbulb Re-visiting the worgen

So with the confirmation of new player models in the works, and mists on the way, I thought it would be a good time for blizz to revisit the worgen.

I know you're going to say, "Dare, the worgen are a brand new race, why should blizz waste time on them?". Normally i would agree with you. However, worgen are not up to par with the other brand new race, the goblins. They are severely lacking in customization (more on par with tauren really), and the female especially is extremely buggy. The brand new 2011 race is worse off than the bc and even most vanilla ones! I think now is the perfect opportunity to give them the same level of polish as the goblins and the new models to come.

The males have all of 5 faces and 5 fur colors, the females don't even have different faces, just markings. And a whole customization slot is mysteriously blank for both genders.

My suggestions are:

1. Give the mane of both genders color customization. It could be argued that this could lead to some incogruous combinations, but so what? Its already possible to make, for example, dark skinned humans with blonde hair. Potential options: http://missmediocre.com/wp-content/u...rs-150x150.jpg

2. Give the males more fur colors. 5 is less than even tauren. Compare with females (1 of these was removed)http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...g?t=1287225992

3. Match the human forms better to the worgen form. Tie fur color to human hair color in the same way druid forms are.

4. The females, where to begin.... I feel the best solution would be to revert them to their alpha model, which was superior in quality, customization, and (in my opinion) intangibles such as aesthetics and character.
    Failing that, at least make their eyes glow like the males, in addition to mane/hair color customizations.

These changes are relatively minor in the grand scheme of things, but I feel they would do a lot to remedy the "unfinished" feel of the race. Thank you for reading. (Apologies if this isn't the correct forum).

*UPDATE* pictures

Female bugs:
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...nclipping.jpg/
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...g?t=1297551403
    Note, these are not all bugs, only the ones i could find pictures of. Feel free to post your own.

Female alpha/live comparison
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...blecobble.png/

Rachel's visual illustration of problems with the current female design:
    http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...ox-d3dl2jo.png

As you can see, females have the most problems. Males suffer from a severe lack of customization however.
    http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/...lMaleFaces.jpg
    All 5 faces in all 5 colors. The faces are ok, too bad there arent more of them. The colors arent even all that distinct, muted grays and gray browns. Even the white is more silver grey than anything. I would suggest adding some golds and reds and even spotted patterns like the females have.
    Last edited by starlord; 2011-11-29 at 07:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Fully agree, the Worgen models weren't even "complete" until one month before cata. They're just plain laughable when compared to the goblin models.

If the Worgen were to get new model renovations, Blizzard might as well allow them to become monks while they're at it. Though realistically speaking, I doubt Blizzard would go though the trouble of doing that.
    Last edited by Pud'n; 2011-11-21 at 02:18 AM.

Am I the only one wondering where the "confirmation" is? I've heard Blizzard saying they WANT to do that at some point, but I haven't seen an official statement saying the ARE doing that.

Or are you talking about how they're adding some new skeleton stuff so the Monk can work properly? If so, that's taking things out of context quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    4. The females, where to begin.... I feel the best solution would be to revert them to their alpha model, which was superior in quality, customization, and (in my opinion) intangibles such as aesthetics and character.
    Failing that, at least make their eyes glow like the males, in addition to mane/hair color customizations.
    Couldn't agree with you more. I do think some updates should be made to the females.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Don't forget that both male and female Worgen have limited hair colors and hairstyles. This is actually the main reason I haven't race-changed my human Death Knight into a Worgen. :\

I'd be happy if they changed the casting actions. They're just terrible

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Am I the only one wondering where the "confirmation" is? I've heard Blizzard saying they WANT to do that at some point, but I haven't seen an official statement saying the ARE doing that.

Or are you talking about how they're adding some new skeleton stuff so the Monk can work properly? If so, that's taking things out of context quite a bit.
    I asked this on another thread and then did some research. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...4612?page=5#86 is the post that people are refering to.

10+ Year Old Account
    So with the confirmation of new player models in the works, and mists on the way, I thought it would be a good time for blizz to revisit the worgen.
    Where is this confirmation? Please don't just say you read it on the forums somewhere. I keep searching for an official blue post CONFIRMING it, but I haven't seen on. All I've seen is a blue post alluding to them giving us new models. Unfortunately, they've done that before, yet here we are 7 years later with no new models.

The link that Togarox posted above is exactly what I'm talking about. It says that they want to change the models, yet it never confirms that they are going to change them for MoP.
    Last edited by Aviney; 2011-11-21 at 03:08 AM.

Deleted
    Still waiting for the goblin trike to be finished, let alone a whole race :<

Pretty sure they aren't revisiting the goblins or worgen. Why revisit races that cannot be monks, and the detailing on them are already the standard. Where as you got the other races, that are so old they have rough surfaces, in some cases, poor textures compared to todays standards (Worgen, Goblins and now Pandarens). And those races are slated to be monks, so they have to put them animations in anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviney View Post
    Where is this confirmation? Please don't just say you read it on the forums somewhere. I keep searching for an official blue post CONFIRMING it, but I haven't seen on. All I've seen is a blue post alluding to them giving us new models. Unfortunately, they've done that before, yet here we are 7 years later with no new models.

The link that Togarox posted above is exactly what I'm talking about. It says that they want to change the models, yet it never confirms that they are going to change them for MoP.
    One of the devs stated it at blizzcon.
    http://wow.joystiq.com/2011/10/22/ne...-in-the-works/

it would be odd for the devs to go to the trouble of animating all of the monk moves only to redo it all later. A timeframe was not stated, but it seems logical for it to be mop. Either way, a new xpac beta is the ideal time to make such changes imo.

---------- Post added 2011-11-20 at 07:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Alewen View Post
    Pretty sure they aren't revisiting the goblins or worgen. Why revisit races that cannot be monks, and the detailing on them are already the standard. Where as you got the other races, that are so old they have rough surfaces, in some cases, poor textures compared to todays standards (Worgen, Goblins and now Pandarens). And those races are slated to be monks, so they have to put them animations in anyways.
    except, thats the thing. Worgen are not up to todays standards. They even lack an entire customization slot that every other race has. In addition, blizz has to allow for monk engineers who could be turned into goblins or worgen. So the animations will be added too.
    Last edited by starlord; 2011-11-21 at 03:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Off topic bit: Yeah, it would make the most monetary sense to update them (the old races) at the same time they're adding new animations for the monk class. I mean, every race except the newest races (goblin and worgen) are getting a monk as a playable class.

Logically to me, it makes the most sense. Give every old race the ability to be the new class, knowing you're going to have to add new animations, and update the models at the same time.

There's no way its just a coincidence that every old race is getting monk. Too much about it fits perfectly.

On Topic: I was really jealous that the alliance was getting worgen, but it really does seem like they just didn't leave enough time to finish the idea, so I got over my jealousy real quick. Hopefully they do get a few people to look at the problem, and possibly fire the first guy so he doesn't muck it up again >>

Edit: and by "fire" I mean reassign him to do something else. I don't like when people lose their jobs

---------- Post added 2011-11-20 at 11:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aviney View Post

C'mon now...you aren't one of those that said "Just because they trade marked Mists of Pandaria doesn't mean its the next expansion. It's probably a web app or a mousepad or something...cant be MoP"

Too much of it makes sense timing wise. They say the want to do it, they have to touch so much of the framework anyways when they add new animations...

Failing that, at least make their eyes glow like the males, in addition to mane/hair color customizations..
    /Agree

Someone needs to get this to the offical forums. Blizzard might be working on new models, almost 90% of ppl hate female worgen as they are now. If we, the alpha lovers, stand up now united, they might consider adding an option to choose the alpha models as blizz even admitted the female worgen were fail

They never admitted one of their models were fail or that they failed making them so

FOR ALPHA!

I plan on posting this in the official forums if theres enough support.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post

At Blizzcon, they stated they are "actively working on it."

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think what you're mostly asking for is more customization, and I agree.

But scrap worgen females and rebuild them, that will never happen. Not even when the old races get new models.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    I think what you're mostly asking for is more customization, and I agree.

But scrap worgen females and rebuild them, that will never happen. Not even when the old races get new models.
    Yeah I love how my worgen female looks. I for one would not be pleased to login expecting my snarly worgen to find a feline-fox hybrid wearing a glued on anime wig.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alewen View Post
    Yeah I love how my worgen female looks. I for one would not be pleased to login expecting my snarly worgen to find a feline-fox hybrid wearing a glued on anime wig.
    Thank you for showing us why it won't happen. Even our updates in 5.0 are the same basic model touched up, not a whole new ground-up model.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

While some people are disappointed with the Worgen model, I find it very unlikely Blizzard will change them. In fact I am only going to place a safe bet on classic models being updated (Draenei and Blood Elf models might get some tweaks, but only when absolutely needed to support Monk animations).

I can guarantee you that if Blizzard substantially changed the style of Worgen models of either gender, you'd have thousands of people come out of the woodwork in support of their models at Cataclysm's release. This is a situation Blizzard wants to avoid.

Essentially Blizzard is going to be raising the polygon and joint count on classic race models while retaining the overall style. This will minimize any pushback from people attached to the current models, as well as ensure Blizzard has to spend a minimal amount of time refitting armor. Yet it will retain the benefit of being able to support more complex animations and not having less polygons then say, the shoulder armor they are wearing.

Seriously newer shoulder armor probably has more polygons then most of the classic races.
    Roleplaying, hardcore Raiding, running LFR on the occasional weekend, PvPing, rolling alts, achievement hunting, pet battling, or just enacting an endless series of whims, I don't care how you play WoW. Just as long as you have fun doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Thank you for showing us why it won't happen. Even our updates in 5.0 are the same basic model touched up, not a whole new ground-up model.
    Welcome, but I was just stating how I'd feel. Heck I actually have 2 worgen females. My druid who is best described as a forest child, and my hunter that is best described as a primal. Their looks support the personalties I have given them. So to suddenly have a completely different look as proposed, would effect my characters in an un-repairable way. I'd have to scrap the characters I worked hard on completely and start from the ground up.

Quote Originally Posted by Falrinn View Post
    While some people are disappointed with the Worgen model, I find it very unlikely Blizzard will change them. In fact I am only going to place a safe bet on classic models being updated (Draenei and Blood Elf models might get some tweaks, but only when absolutely needed to support Monk animations).

I can guarantee you that if Blizzard substantially changed the style of Worgen models of either gender, you'd have thousands of people come out of the woodwork in support of their models at Cataclysm's release. This is a situation Blizzard wants to avoid.

Essentially Blizzard is going to be raising the polygon and joint count on classic race models while retaining the overall style. This will minimize any pushback from people attached to the current models, as well as ensure Blizzard has to spend a minimal amount of time refitting armor. Yet it will retain the benefit of being able to support more complex animations and not having less polygons then say, the shoulder armor they are wearing.

Seriously newer shoulder armor probably has more polygons then most of the classic races.
    Yeah you can really see the low quality in like the Tier 1 and 2 sets, especially for the priests. In some ways I wish them old armors were also getting a touchup as well, but eh, that's fine if they don't.