Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Only pretty ones?

Ive been looking at the video about Character Creation and Customization ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=-TJDTv1aGR4 )

And I have only one comment. What if I want my char to be fat, with rich amounts of bodyhair and right foot limp to boot? Why do they always have to make character customizations that looks something straight out of a model catalouge? I want to be fat, sweaty with greasy bodyhair god damn it! Do you hear me Eric Flannum!?
    X:"Echo?"
    Echo: "What?
    Echo: "What?!"
    X: "Nothing"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armida View Post
    And I have only one comment. What if I want my char to be fat, with rich amounts of bodyhair and right foot limp to boot? Why do they always have to make character customizations that looks something straight out of a model catalouge? I want to be fat, sweaty with greasy bodyhair god damn it! Do you hear me Eric Flannum!?
    Then you would be terrible in combat and your character probably wouldn't make it past level one. Good luck dodge rolling or even wielding any sort of weapon when you're incredibly unfit and injured.

Just Your Average Lurking Huntard LOLPRIEST forum lurker now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Milanor View Post
    Then you would be terrible in combat and your character probably wouldn't make it past level one. Good luck dodge rolling or even wielding any sort of weapon when you're incredibly unfit and injured.
    going by that logic asuras would be realy horrible combatants... and i'm preety sure an asura will hit as strong a norn will (or atleast compareable)

And since when did logic got anything to do with a fantasy game fighting mechanics? I repeat..a fantasy game.

you can make ugly looking characters, but not fat ones... it wouldn't be possible from a technical standpoint (clipping issues)

i was gonna say roll a dwarf but then i realised this was a gw2 thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    And since when did logic got anything to do with a fantasy game fighting mechanics? I repeat..a fantasy game.
    Well, we know the world of Tyria mostly conforms to the known rules of gravity when magic isn't involved, so that's one. For two, metal armor can take hits better than cloth armor. And for three, non-aquatic/amphibious beings need to breath underwater. So, based on those three things, I'd say we can assume that there is some common logic to be found within this fantasy game.

More importantly, fat player characters would create both clipping issues and ruin the aesthetic that ArenaNet is aiming for.

Just Your Average Lurking Huntard LOLPRIEST forum lurker now.

I want a Fat Bald Greasy Human Thief.

Deleted
    Ive been looking at the video about Character Creation and Customization ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=-TJDTv1aGR4 )

Heh. I usually play pretty, beautiful characters because I'm not pretty or beautiful IRL, but just recently when I started playing Skyrim I noticed that the devs have made it really easy to make an ugly character. In fact you need to make quite specific choices NOT to end up with a rather grim, ugly person. It was terribly refreshing and so I went ahead and made an especially hideous Dunmer female and I've surprisingly enjoyed it like hell

Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie View Post
    Heh. I usually play pretty, beautiful characters because I'm not pretty or beautiful IRL, but just recently when I started playing Skyrim I noticed that the devs have made it really easy to make an ugly character. In fact you need to make quite specific choices NOT to end up with a rather grim, ugly person. It was terribly refreshing and so I went ahead and made an especially hideous Dunmer female and I've surprisingly enjoyed it like hell
    Now where is that blasted "Like" button! This is what I am talking about GayGirlie

Well, we know the world of Tyria mostly conforms to the known rules of gravity when magic isn't involved, so that's one. For two, metal armor can take hits better than cloth armor. And for three, non-aquatic/amphibious beings need to breath underwater. So, based on those three things, I'd say we can assume that there is some common logic to be found within this fantasy game.
    I repeat..they got MAGIC, logic and nature laws does not matter.

More importantly, fat player characters would create both clipping issues and ruin the aesthetic that ArenaNet is aiming for.
    This however is a valid argument, but surely there must be a way round it?

We haven't even seen all of the character creation tools. You can adjust body build, etc. although you probably can't make your character fat. Still, I wouldn't get upset over something we haven't learned everything about yet.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I repeat..they got MAGIC, logic and nature laws does not matter.
    "Magic" is never a reason to don't care about logic and rules of nature. For a good believable world with magic the magic has to be a part of that system. It has to set rules and follow them. The second it breaks the set rules of what magic can do suddenly all falls apart.
    Saying "There's magic, thus a fatass that most likely has no cardio and would get severe knee pain running around in huge amounts of armor and gear shouldn't be an issue!" lets you say "There's magic, everyone should be able to fly!"

Yes, there is magic. But that still doesn't remove gravity. If you look at the spells in game non of them are very long or sustained. For a fatass to run around like a fit 18 year old it'd take lots of magic.

Still, ugly fit characters should go right ahead.

Also, it's a fantasy setting in a middeval/indust-revolution setting. The only people fat were the really, really rich people who could aford to do nothing all day by having others do it for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rofl, reading this reminded me of the old Dwarven Rogue God! XD

He's rolly-polly fat, greasy, and will stab you in the eye before you know it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbathor

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by athrl View Post
    That's hot.

I agree with Mif though. If your character had a limp, or injury that hinders battle, then you wouldn't be a hero of Tyria... you'd be canon fodder of Tyria.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    I agree with Mif though.
    Thanks for agreeing in advance?

10+ Year Old Account
    there was a video of a Norn male with a crazy beat-up face. it had a scar of one side and was maybe blind in one i eye i forget. does anyone remember that video and could they post the link? you could see the Norn's face during cutscenes.

EDIT: found it http://youtu.be/ps0bAl-ou-s?t=2m17s
    Last edited by Odeezee; 2011-11-24 at 04:49 PM.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Quote Originally Posted by athrl View Post
    What the heck,do you call that fat? Jeez, I want my char so fat that I have to roll her in flour just to...nevermind!

Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    "Magic" is never a reason to don't care about logic and rules of nature. For a good believable world with magic the magic has to be a part of that system. It has to set rules and follow them. The second it breaks the set rules of what magic can do suddenly all falls apart.
    Saying "There's magic, thus a fatass that most likely has no cardio and would get severe knee pain running around in huge amounts of armor and gear shouldn't be an issue!" lets you say "There's magic, everyone should be able to fly!"
    And yet there is not written anywhere there cant be so either.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    Yes, there is magic. But that still doesn't remove gravity. If you look at the spells in game non of them are very long or sustained. For a fatass to run around like a fit 18 year old it'd take lots of magic.
    Nah, its called fantasy, not magic