Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by herpderpslurp View Post
    didnt bother watching the movie when i saw that it stars the same guy who was crying in that video about the guy's penis being bit off.
    Why, because he was right that time with the penis? It's retarded that they could sit and talk about it and say that they would cut off their husbands dick without doubt if they did the same thing or some shit.

I didn't watch this video because being offended is completely retarded. It is nothing else than being offended. It is subjective and that makes it retarded. People get offended by such trivial completely retarded stuff and they complain about it. We had some commercial in Sweden about a cheese that had "eyes" or well, it's generally called holes, like Swiss cheese. And in the commercial they emphazised the holes and that they increased the taste or some stupid stuff. That commercial got banned because people called in and was offended by it. Do you know why? They thought the hole emphasizing was indicating that it would symbolize vaginas or some extremely retarded shit. And the ad got banned just because of that.

People are stupid and they get offended over stupid stuff because they are stupid.
    Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ealar/advanced

Raid Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/pappahealar

Guild Website: http://www.excesse-guild.net/ (Dismissed and seized raiding early 2011, March.)

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    I would have to say that this is very foolish notion. Non-physical offense is sometimes self-induced.

When one person insults another person with an intent to cause emotional harm, that is a form of assault. You can't sugar coat it. It is what it is.

People are both social and emotional creatures. We are susceptible to feeling hurt when people say or do certain things against us. That hurt is as real, and has the potential to be just as devastating to the person as if it was a physical assault.

That first reaction of anger, hurt, shame, or fear when someone says something that is intended to "hurt" us is something that is hardwired into our brains before we are even born. It is not something we can change or "switch off". We can learn how to manage those feelings, but we cannot undo them.

And while I would agree that it is important for people to learn how deal with their emotional reactions (for example to a verbal assault), that in no way justifies the assailant.
    I disagree with this somewhat. When people attempt to hurt me with words, it makes me laugh. I don't have a short feeling or anger, hurt, shame, or fear, it just doesn't do anything but make me laugh. It's more like a feeling of "Well, you've just shown how silly you are."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    I disagree with this somewhat. When people attempt to hurt me with words, it makes me laugh. I don't have a short feeling or anger, hurt, shame, or fear, it just doesn't do anything but make me laugh. It's more like a feeling of "Well, you've just shown how silly you are."
    i'm wiling to bet someone is offended with your statement =p

Deleted
    Offensive is a word which is overused. Being offended should mean the words used cut to the emotional core of a person; not because you disagree or just don't like what was said. Some people in this world should stop being so offensive, and others should stop being so quickly offended.

Deleted
    A lot of it has to do with the lack of empathy that has become commonplace these days. Political correctness may be crazy at times, but I've seen countless people - particularly online - seemingly believe that they can say whatever they want without it biting them back. The blunt truth is, some things are offensive and should be censored.

Sadly, most people are going to carry on being overly offensive just to get some cheap kicks out of it all which will steadily cause the political correctness to become even more intruding upon our lives.

Quote Originally Posted by herpderpslurp View Post
    didnt bother watching the movie when i saw that it stars the same guy who was crying in that video about the guy's penis being bit off.
    did you find the suggestion that mutilation is bad... offensive?
    The world was just as bad when you were young as it is today. You only see it now because of your age.

Deleted
    Oh my god .... THERE IS A SQUIRREL IN THE BACKGROUND !!!

i'm so offended !!!

Did anyone notice that squirrel at 4:50?

Quote Originally Posted by Keilith View Post
    I wonderd how many of you lived through the PC age of the 90's.. This is nothing new.

For all you youngin's PC is not personal computer.
    no offense, but it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    and that's where you make yourself a clown. It's just like saying '' i know nothing about this, and i'm completly ignorant about it, but i'm gonna give my opinion because it's relevant anyway. "
    well actually, i didnt give an opinion since i didnt watch the video, i guess reading isnt your strong point? i saw enough of him repeatedly calling a bunch of women on tv "cunts" in the previous video because he was offended by their laughing at some guy whose penis got bit off and because he felt like he wouldnt be able to get away with the same thing despite all the numerous times in pop culture that women are treated abusively and its considered a big joke. thats right, the guy is claiming to be the victim of sexism while at the same time yelling and calling women basically the most misogynist word in the english language, and he doesnt even have a point. i don't need to hear anymore of this guy, i already know he is a moron...

Hmm. I agree. I'm going to be mad enough to walk away the next person to tell me their offended when I explain a beautiful, blissful after life to them. At least this guy will argue me his views were I to talk with him about christianity. I agree with quite a bit of what he said, in fact. Though, he still leans on a worldly knowledge and can't quite grasp the fact that everything he knows and believes comes from the same race he considers moronic; humans. But, I am quite a fan of this thread. People are WAY too easily offended. Get this, the other day, I was just messing around on vent and I called someone a "Mother goat herder" and they were like "lol, what's a goat herder?!" and I was like "It's a 2nd new class in MoP! It's for Orcs and dwarves only, and you can shoot goats out of a sack to kill people!" and they were quiet, then left vent. After 15 minutes I realize she left and she comes back. I ask what's wrong. And in a upset quiet voice answers me "I would never play an orc...". She got offended because I insinuated she might play an Orc?! You know, I went to haiti and some of the kids were not quite sure if I was man or woman! Did I get offended? No. I'm 225 lbs, have white skin, and a bit of a jiggle. I was like "Lol, I'm a man. A fat man, but a man." There was no reason for me to get offended! They didn't know better. It's not like they were mocking me, they just didn't know. It's America, though. Americans are so offended by every thing. I know a woman, a pretty woman too, and she went to norway (I think) on a mission trip, and a man there told her "I think you're beautiful on the outside, but just remember, it's not always the outsid ethat counts." and apparently it's normal for people to be that critical of personality in norway. If America was like that, we'd have a bunch of really nice people around. Critical people, but people who hold their tongue, people who are polite, etc. Anyway, I'm done.

Deleted
    its all called banter, you only find it offensive if you have no sense of humour.

Quote Originally Posted by brirrspliff View Post
    no offense, but it is.
    Clearly he means price check or something of that sort.

But yeah, PC is personal computer. Not sure how the term came to refer to Windows computers.

The dude in the video is spot on about everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I tell people that I have an IBD, and they reply "Want a plug?", then I am well within my rights to be offended.

If someone tells me that the norwegian welfare system creates leeching assholes that should be shot, and I reply "That's ofensive, prick!", then the person is well within his/her rights to ridicule me.

Simply put, some people should learn the difference between "This was uncomfortable for me to hear" and "You just offended me!".
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

All these problems could be avoided if people learned to shut their big mouths.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Good for you. But tbh I think you are talking BS if you want me to believe that you "feel" nothing. Laughing at an insult and then coming up with your rational "you've just shown how silly you are" retort (counter attack) is a classic defense mechanism. We only develop defense mechanisms in response to an offense (from outside) that makes us feel uncomfortable. So the very fact that you react at all is evidence in support of my argument.

Just because you have learned to manage your emotional response does not mean that your very first instinctual response to a verbal assault is not one of anger, fear or shame - which you quickly override with your defense mechanism. It also does not entitle you to expect that others should have learned as effective a defense mechanism either.

My experience with verbal bullies is that they talk up how "immune" they are to the taunts/jibes/insults of others, and use that as a justification for their being a douche to others. But when you figure out what pushes their buttons, they react with exactly the same kind of offense that they reckon other people should avoid.

Deleted
    I'm willing to bet that most of the people in this thread have absolutely no idea just how harmful certain statements can be. There are a lot of people out there who are emotional wrecks as the result of long term verbal abuse. Psychological abuse can often be far more damaging than physical abuse in the long run. So instead of kicking up a fuss when someone takes offence at a crude joke, why not display a bit of empathy and realise that we're not all wired the same way and maybe, just maybe it isn't appropriate to drop f-bombs or other offensive terms at every turn?

In other words, a healthy dose of empathy, common sense and the ability to know when to hold your tongue goes a long way.

here's some comedy for you, the part about being offended starts at 3:20

Funny this is stuff Glenn Beck was saying the time he was on fox news. But ppl just said shutup your a right wing nut! And now ppl are just noticing this kinda stuff?