Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Robin Williams Named His Daughter Zelda

Robin Williams named his daughter after Zelda. What do you think of this? Would you ever do it? Name your kid after a video game character? Like name your daughter Sylvanas or Elune? I personally think its an awesome idea.

NOTE: It has been pointed out that Zelda was a name before Zelda was a game, if you watch the video you would see that's not really the point.
    Last edited by SomethingcooKiljaeden; 2011-11-26 at 05:56 AM.

Only rich and famous people can get away by giving names like that.

Average person would prob be bullied to suicide.

Zelda was a name before the game i'm sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

This happened 22 years ago.
    Has opinions about stuff.
    Character - Danrar (Forever Holy Priest)

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a perfectly good name. People name their children after athletes, I'm guessing because they're inspired by them, so why not after a character that inspired?

Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

Off topic: Robin Williams' beard is awesome.

On topic: I wouldn't do it unless my wife liked video games just as much.

Robin Williams is a Zelda enthusiast. He even recently did a Zelda commercial for Nintendo.

who the hell would give there daughter a boy's name... now that's just being mean

Quote Originally Posted by Solarshot View Post
    who the hell would give there daughter a boy's name... now that's just being mean
    troll is trolling

10+ Year Old Account
    Zelda was a name WAAAAAAAAY before the video games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zelda_%28given_name%29

OT: It is a pretty pro name
    Every LFG based PUG ive ever had has been full of perfect, highly skilled, friendly players, and ive always got the gear i wanted first time. Also i have a massive penis. And i can fly.

Zelda isn't a boys name.

Zelda (the character you play in the game, is not Zelda...Zelda is the princness you save)

Your character is named "Link" or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Wow.......Robin Williams looks really old(er).

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

you can do better than that
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by SomethingcooKiljaeden View Post
    Would you ever do it? Name your kid after a video game character? Like name your daughter Sylvanas or Elune? I personally think its an awesome idea.
    I would never name a child Sylvanas or Elune. Because those are not 'real' names. Zelda is.

Quote Originally Posted by Providence View Post
    Zelda was a name before the game i'm sure.
    i ithink it was
    "The instinct of self-preservation? You call it that. Yes, i will sink my teeth into life. Fuck your evolution. Let other species wait their turn. I'm not a lamb being led to the slaughter."
    ~Hunter

What is better, to be born good? or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?
    ~Paarthurnax
    my attempts at being funny with skyrim

Someone in my guild just said Zelda is a pretty common name in eastern Europe. If that's true, this video lost coolness points.

ETA: Heh, turns out it's true it's a real name and not unique to the game.

"Zelda is a nickname for the feminine name Griselda, which means "dark battle", and also the feminine form of the yiddish name Selig, meaning "blessed", "happy."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zelda_%28given_name%29
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail

Quote Originally Posted by Mouni View Post
    Zelda isn't a boys name.

Zelda (the character you play in the game, is not Zelda...Zelda is the princness you save)

Your character is named "Link" or something.
    does that have any relevence to what I said? No, it does not. As others have stated, the named Zelda has been around before the game. Simply stating that because in one situation a girl has been named that, doesn't mean it is in fact a girl's name. But yeah... I guess I'll name my first daughter steven so that I can bitch at every parent who gives their son such a girly name.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandamoneum View Post
    I would never name a child Sylvanas or Elune. Because those are not 'real' names. Zelda is.

I just used those names as examples cause its what came to mind at the time.

Btw, Sylvanas is probably from Sylvia which is a real name And I personally LOVE the name Sylvia/Sylvanas.

Another note, every name had to be made up at some point. Even common names like Sarah, John, etc were weird and new at one point.

Quote Originally Posted by SomethingcooKiljaeden View Post
    Even common names like Sarah, John, etc were weird and new at one point.
    True, but the point I was making is that Sarah or John are not going to get beat up over their names. Sylvanas might. Ofc so might Zelda, but I still think it's better than some video game name that was made up by a video game, and not a socially established name before hand.

I remember the old legend of zelda...and now I feel old