Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account

Gaming laptop, desktop replacement help.

So I need a vury gud gaming laptop (oxymoron I know). I been looking around the web from Sager,Malibal and Asus plus others. Trying to find the best one for around 2k, maybe a little higher depending.

So far I looked into the Asus G74SX: $1,900...
    Intel Core i7 2630QM 2.2
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560M with 3GB GDDR5
    12gb DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM
    Full HD 3D(1920x1080 120Hz) LED Backlight

Sager NP8170: $2,169...
    17.3" 120Hz 3D-Ready Full HD
    2nd Generation Intel Core i7-2670QM 2.2
    12GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 580M GPU with 2GB GDDR5 Video Memory

and Malibal Veda P180HM: $1,711.
    18.4" 1920 x 1080 FHD LED Backlit Glossy Display
    Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM, 6MB L3 Cache, 2.2-3.1GHz
    (12GB) PC3-10660/1333MHz DDR3
    2 X NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560M 1.5GB GDDR5 (SLI) (not sure how sli compares to a single 570 or 580)

So what one is more 'bang for my buck'. And also I'd appreciate recommendations if you have any.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd go for the Sager, mainly because the GPU is better than the other 2, which means it will run games smoother.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Why game on a laptop? desktop is better for pc gaming anyways

Instead of getting a mass produced pre-built one, I recommend checking out http://www.digitalstormonline.com. These guys are the real deal. No crap cyberpowerpc and Ibuypower horror stories.

Their more of a high end computer builder company. They even have an active forum so you can chat about hardware, ect., or request help on customizing a PC or laptop.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LegitHunter View Post
    Perhaps because he needs to move around a lot.

i got a g74 and its great, cant remember what subtype i got off the top of my head though

All of them are capable, but if the cooling is enough on the third one, it's likely not only the best, but the most bang for the buck.
    GTX560M SLI is better than the GTX580M.
    However. SLI isn't always smooth and easy sailing, it has its issues.

Changing my mind here. The GTX560M SLI is just ahead of the GTX580M. The gains do not balance the hindrance though, in my opinion.
    Sager.
    I dislike the G-series from ASUS. They are big, clunky, they bleed and their design is embarrassing.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2011-11-26 at 05:04 AM.

I have a G74SX-A1 and I'm 100% satisfied with it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LegitHunter View Post
    Having just spent the better part of a year traveling back-and-forth across the country, I can say for sure that a gaming-capable laptop is a very nice thing to have around.

560 SLI is the best one; just be prepared to carry around 2 power blocks if you get it.

Think you can build a Dell XPS 17 with a GTX 555M 3GB, intel quad 2.4 2760qm, for about 1300... Ram I'd just pick up at newegg... For smoother graphics it's actually with considering a 1600x900 screen... Will work the gpu less... If you're willing to give that up...

Anyway, that's just one of the deals I saw as I was browsing for black Friday, you can add more to the XPS then what I said... But some of those parts would be cheaper elsewhere (SSD, RAM)

Laptops are not replacement for desktops, especially for gaming. For the same price and for the same teir components a desktop will outperform a laptop 2 to 1 in gaming performance. Not to mention for those same teir parts you are paying a lot more for a gaming laptop than a gaming PC. Laptops are fine only if you need portability, not if you need performance and plan on using it in basically one location.

Quote Originally Posted by Kewi View Post
    Think you can build a Dell XPS 17 with a GTX 555M 3GB, intel quad 2.4 2760qm, for about 1300... Ram I'd just pick up at newegg... For smoother graphics it's actually with considering a 1600x900 screen... Will work the gpu less... If you're willing to give that up...
    Giving up on an already weak GPU for a non-gaming one is an awkward decision. The GT 555M is not a gaming GPU and will perform accordingly in the more graphical intense games.

---------- Post added 2011-11-26 at 06:23 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by The GameMaster View Post
    Laptops are not replacement for desktops, especially for gaming. For the same price and for the same teir components a desktop will outperform a laptop 2 to 1 in gaming performance. Not to mention for those same teir parts you are paying a lot more for a gaming laptop than a gaming PC. Laptops are fine only if you need portability, not if you need performance and plan on using it in basically one location.
    That was not what he was asking for, though, was it?
    I'm sure everyone knows that.

Desktop Replacement is an accepted term for notebooks like these, though.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wow!, thanks for all the replies guys. Yeah DarkXale has it right, I need to move alot so my only option is a gaming laptop. I'm pretty noobish to what is good in a laptop besides knowing that the 580m is the newest and fastest gpu for a laptop. Yeah I don't wanna carry 2 power bricks around for the sli models so I guess that option is a no. Plus, I may be wrong, but I believe the 580m will outperform the sli 560m's right?

Another thing I'd like to know is whats the benchmark on the 580m compared to a 570m? I cant seem to find any online(or I just don't know where to look).
    Also, on all high settings with 1080 res, how do you think the fps will look like on newer games like Skyrim, Witcher 2 etc-using 570m and 580m.
    I'm only asking this because the 580m is like 400 more bucks and idk if its worth the upgrade if the 570 performs similar.
    hanks again for all the replies.

Nevermind I found a great website to compare www notebookcheck net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html.
    Last edited by wkcecil; 2011-11-26 at 04:42 PM.