Poll: Do you know anyone that isn't hypocritical

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    One of the major things that separates the human brain from modern supercomputers is the ability to engage in what Orwell called doublethink. We can easily hold contradictory beliefs and thoughts, and so we can scorn a behavior in others while simultaneously engaging in it ourselves.

I think you guys are misusing the word 'Hypocrisy'. Hypocrisy is the state of pretending to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that one does not actually have. - Dictionary.com

But it isn't simply not following them by accident.

Not everyone is a hypocrite. A person who says murder is wrong and should not be done, and spends his/her time persecuting murderers, but is guilty of murder him or herself, then they are a Hypocrite.

Hypocrisy doesn't refer to when your parents say "Candy is bad for you" but then eat sweets themselves. As they are not pretending or even claiming to have any moral values in regards to that statement.

When you use the word Hypocrisy correctly, there aren't as many hypocrites as you'd like to think.

But to answer your question OP: I know many people who aren't hypocrites, but many of my family members are. My cousin for example is a strong believer in God, and the Morals of the Bible, and is well, very religious, constantly posts FB statuses of said morals, but has 3 kids from 3 different women and is not even in a relationship with any of them. So my cousin isn't following the morals he claimed to have, thus a Hypocrite.

To answer your question in reference to people who say one thing yet do another (don't follow their own advice, regardless of their reasoning behind it for example: Your mother probably said not to eat candy because you were a kid, and she believed sugar to be more harmful to you not her, thus is able to eat sweets) yes, I know many people who do that, but still, most do not. I know my mother does. Tells me to wash her dishes (after telling me to always clean up after yourself) because she was tired, but then wakes me up very rudely from sleeping to wash my dishes in the middle of the night.

EDIT: Going to leave that double negative near the beginning because I thought it was hilarious when I realized why that didn't sound correct to me.
    Last edited by Zeliak; 2011-11-28 at 04:31 PM.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequetly explained by stupidity." - Robert J. Hanlon (otherwise known as Hanlon's Law)

Deleted
    Zeliak, your name suddenly made me think of Sir Zeliek ;p

Quote Originally Posted by rainiothon View Post
    Zeliak, your name suddenly made me think of Sir Zeliek ;p
    I would hope, as that is who I based the name off of, because I thought Sir Zeliek was a badass name. XD
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequetly explained by stupidity." - Robert J. Hanlon (otherwise known as Hanlon's Law)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeliak View Post
    I think you guys are misusing the word 'Hypocrisy'. Hypocrisy is the state of pretending to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that one does not actually have. - Dictionary.com

Not everyone is a hypocrite. A person who says murder is wrong and should not be done, and spends his/her time persecuting murderers, but is guilty of murder him or herself, then they are a Hypocrite.

Hypocrisy doesn't refer to when your parents say "Candy is bad for you" but then eat sweets themselves. As they are not pretending or even claiming to have any moral values in regards to that statement.
    This is exactly why I have troubble understanding the word hypocrisy. I see a greyzone, and I can't define the word properly.

Since I am the one bringing up the candy situation, I'll be the first one to say that "Candy isn't healthy" is something I believe in. This isn't a religious belief obviously, but it is a belief. It is equally much a principle, yet I fail to meet that principle myself. I have only twice in my life managed to stay off the chocolate(when I eat candy it's chocolate). The first time was when I ate so much chocolate over time that my body developed an intolerance to it(it wore off eventually, but I have never eaten that much chocolate again), and the second time was when I was pregnant and went all crazy about eating as healthy as possible. One of my rules during the pregnancy was staying off chocolate.

So yeah, I am breaking my own principles and belief that chocolate isn't something I should be eating. That while justifying my actions by telling myself "Atleast I am keeping my son away from it for as long as I can".

In other words... "I believe what I am doing is wrong, but I do it anyways". That while keeping my son away from it.

If that is real hypocrisy, I cannot tell. It seems to be in a greyzone atleast.

Though, when thinking about it, my need for chocolate can probably be seen similar to some peoples need to smoke. Chocolate is my smoke, and I am sure smokers also know that what they are doing aren't healthy and wouldn't want their own children smoking(no rule without an exeption though). Not really thought of those as hypocrits, yet I see myself as one.
    Last edited by Duridi; 2011-11-28 at 05:37 PM.

Deleted
    People voting YES are kidding themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by reve View Post
    People voting YES are kidding themselves.
    How so? The poll question was Do you KNOW? To say that they are kidding themselves is to say you have Godly powers to be able to know them personally enough to say they don't know at least ONE person who actually follows the morals and values they claim to have. Because that is the definition of a Hypocrite: one claiming to have morals, values or principles but doesn't follow or practice them.

How so? The poll question was Do you KNOW? To say that they are kidding themselves is to say you have Godly powers to be able to know them personally enough to say they don't know at least ONE person who actually follows the morals and values they claim to have. Because that is the definition of a Hypocrite: one claiming to have morals, values or principles but doesn't follow or practice them.
    Words evolve, dude. The most basic definition of the word that people are using here is doing something that you tell somebody else not to do.

Deleted
    I would hope, as that is who I based the name off of, because I thought Sir Zeliek was a badass name. XD
    i just thought Sir Zeliek was relevant as a paradoxical hypocrite of sorts. It's not really his fault since he is mind controlled by Kel'Thuzad, but he still has enough freedom to be aware of what he's doing and to apologize for it. Bit of a mind twister though.

Quote Originally Posted by Providence View Post
    The true hypocrites are the ones who say they aren't hypocrites.

We're all hypocritical.
    Word to that.

When you use the word Hypocrisy correctly, there aren't as many hypocrites as you'd like to think.
    This. I know very few people i would consider hypocrites. Telling your son that candy is bad for you, is not the same thing as saying NEVER eat candy. Its called good advice... Candy is bad for you. Eating TOO MUCH IS a bad thing. Especially when you're comparing children or adults. 1 piece of candy to a 8 year old's digestive tract is not the same thing to a 25 year old's digestive tract. As well as learning self control. But that doesn't mean you should NEVER eat candy...

There are reasons things like alcohol and cigarettes have legal age requirements... That doesn't mean the government is hypocritical...
    Last edited by openair; 2011-11-29 at 03:28 AM.

The Dali Lama or Gandhi.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Words evolve, dude. The most basic definition of the word that people are using here is doing something that you tell somebody else not to do.
    Words don't evolve, at least not until important people say they do and make changes (which they haven't). There's a huge difference between acting differently than you say to act and intentional deception through the use of pretense.

Everyone will be hypocritical in some form about some thing, this is a pointless exercise in wanking here.
    The earth is not a cold dead place

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    everyone wears a different mask to protect their interests(most likely themselves) in different situations

Everyone is a hypocrite.

If you call someone an asshole or some other derogatory, you are now a hypocrite.
    The lips of the righteous shall meditate wisdom, and he shall speak justice.

I'm not a hypocrite because I've been write on everything.

Quote Originally Posted by dlouhys View Post
    I'm not a hypocrite because I've been write on everything.
    Except the use of write....am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by VoidLaughingSkull View Post
    Except the use of write....am I right?
    So very burnt.
    The earth is not a cold dead place

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueGender View Post
    Everyone is a hypocrite.

If you call someone an asshole or some other derogatory, you are now a hypocrite.
    Not necessarily. I call people assholes all the time, thing is I know I'm an asshole too. Its only hypocritical if you don't realize you are an asshole.